Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Zippo Blu
kgoings 09:36 AM 10-15-2008
So I got a free Zippo Blu from a vendor over on CS. They gave away 25, and I have been using mine exclusively lately. Here is my review.

When I first got the Zippo it worked great, it was at times a little hard to get lit but other than that it was fine.

After the third refill, and I purge comepletely every refill, it became increasingly more difficult to get lit. I get plent of spark from the flint but no flame. Now after the fourth refill, it just wont light anymore.

I have tried 3 different butanes, Zippos, Calibri or how ever you spell it, and now this stuff that is 5X refined.

Last night, I even took a soft flame lighter and tried multiple times to light the Zippo with a burning softflame...never worked it just blew out the lighter every time.

Looks like I will be looking for a new lighter... bummer :-)
[Reply]
fissure 11:11 AM 10-15-2008
I got the same deal. They feel very cheap in the hand. Same problems you are having. Works great when freshly refilled, but about half way through....Not worth it if I have to keep purging to refill it. Glad it was free:-)
[Reply]
kfish 12:34 PM 10-15-2008
This is a common problem with the Blu’s I’ve known several people that have sent them back for this same problem.
[Reply]
AD720 02:19 PM 10-15-2008
Also not really loving mine. While I appreciate the gesture, I'm glad I didn't buy it otherwise I'd be inclined to return it.
[Reply]
Beagleone 02:22 PM 10-15-2008
I am not a fan of the Zippo Blu inserts. I still prefer my Xikar single flame touch lighter. Most of my friends that had the Blu tossed them with in a week of buying them.
[Reply]
jcarlton 02:41 PM 10-15-2008
Send them to Zippo, they put a new updated inserts in mine. Gift or no gift Zippo has a lifetime guaranty. Send it in and they will fix it. I have sent mine in once and am sad to say I have to send it again but I like the lighter when it works.

Return Address and Instructions
[Reply]
Langod 02:44 PM 10-15-2008
For what it's worth I've had no lighting issues with my $10 Blazer Z-plus insert for the Zippos. A somewhat inconsistent size flame from use to use, but that's about it.
http://www.blazerproducts.com/lighters/zplus.html
[Reply]
dunng 07:16 PM 10-15-2008
I hate mine... It keeps going after to release the button. I have my ZPlus on me at all times. :-)
[Reply]
Wolfgang 07:20 PM 10-15-2008
Having the same issues here fellas. I will be sending mine in soon.

Zippo motto "if it dosent work we fix it" Send em in
[Reply]
D_A 07:59 PM 10-15-2008
I got one of the freebies too. My thumb is sore from trying to get it lit. Unfortunately I lost my ronson Jet Lite that was very dependable and I can't find them locally. I'm probably going to end up spending $7 shipping for a $3 lighter from the ronson store, but if it is anywhere as dependable as my last one, it will be money well spent.
[Reply]
fissure 09:17 PM 10-15-2008
Originally Posted by jcarlton:
Send them to Zippo, they put a new updated inserts in mine. Gift or no gift Zippo has a lifetime guaranty. Send it in and they will fix it. I have sent mine in once and am sad to say I have to send it again but I like the lighter when it works.

Return Address and Instructions
For what it's worth, these are supposed to be the new updated blu's. They were just released a couple months ago. I will still eventually send mine in, but will not do it a second time if it keeps it up. Will throw it out:-)
[Reply]
kgoings 08:00 AM 10-16-2008
So I have an update...I did the 'shake while purging' that n2adventure posted and bingo...mine works again. Mine had not fired up in almost 2 weeks and last night it fired up first try everytime. We shall see if it keeps going.

I was really surprised how much more gas came out during purging when I started shaking it...it was almost done and I shook it and it got hissing a lot louder again, and again, and again
[Reply]
fissure 08:38 AM 10-16-2008
So shake while you purge? Or right before you depress the nipple? Have to give it a try.
[Reply]
kgoings 08:52 AM 10-16-2008
Originally Posted by fissure:
So shake while you purge? Or right before you depress the nipple? Have to give it a try.
While purging
[Reply]
FriskyDingo 04:58 PM 10-16-2008
Originally Posted by fissure:
I always shake twice, put it away and wash my hands! Any more than 2 shakes is funny business. :-)
[Reply]
kgoings 05:12 PM 10-16-2008
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo:
I always shake twice, put it away and wash my hands! Any more than 2 shakes is funny business. :-)
Yup, shake it more than twice and your playing with it..
[Reply]
Up