Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 7 of 15
« First < 567 89 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Mac's Apple Pie Shine
Bill86 03:31 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by spectrrr:
:-) thanks mac :-)

I'll do a little playing around, see what I come up with. And then again, sometimes things can't be improved upon :-)

Got the idea of soaking the cinnamon sticks from when I made limoncello. have to soak the lemon zest in everclear for 2 weeks minimum... 3+ months if you want a reallllly smooth product.

Beyond that I have no experience with moonshining, so maybe it wouldnt work at all with the cinnamon!

I've got a little time to soak it if i start now, since I won't be able to get the vodka until Dec 10
Here's what I did with Mac's recipe. Cut everything in half except the alcohol. I find it's just fine, still very tasty but it has a bit more of a kick.

Maybe a bit too weak for my tastes but it all depends on the person.

I'll make a third batch and tweak it a bit more, we'll see.
[Reply]
deadrise 03:45 PM 11-21-2011
wow that is a lot of everclear I am sure it taste OK long as you do not drink to much that stuff kills people.
just that 1 gallon I made put my wife and her friend to bed before 9pm.
I would say it might need a little more not sure about double it would be bad for those of us who don't know
when to stop unless your like my uncle and drink it strait
[Reply]
Fordman4ever 03:53 PM 11-21-2011
My brother (kneedragger) is in town this week and we're making some apple pie shine tomorrow. gonna be a good week.
[Reply]
spectrrr 04:08 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by deadrise:
wow that is a lot of everclear I am sure it taste OK long as you do not drink to much that stuff kills people.
I would say it might need a little more not sure about double it would be bad for those of us who don't know
Only real danger of everclear is how high the alcohol content can be (hidden) in something. A bit of juice and you don't really taste it or realize how much (dangerously) you are drinking.

Everything is relative. There's much more juice and cider in it - to be exact, 83% of the recipe is non-alcoholic. That's more than enough to cut the everclear way down, all the way to around 13% abv, that's wine territory! double the everclear and you nearly double the ABV to around 25%. how safe is it at 25%? mmm, that's a good question, depends largely how smooth it is! I could easily drink a few quarts of the original before I realized how much i had consumed!

Originally Posted by Fordman4ever:
My brother (kneedragger) is in town this week and we're making some apple pie shine tomorrow. gonna be a good week.
I'm heading to the grocery store tonight to pick up some supplies. Probably make a 1/3 or 1/4 sized batch. enough for a nice glass of thanksgiving joy, and also small enough to play with the ratios a little bit. Only have about 1L of everclear on hand right now.... need to make a supply run sometime.
[Reply]
Bill86 04:37 PM 11-21-2011
I believe my last batch was ~23% ABV. So really not that bad. I'll be going up to around 28-30% for this third batch I make in about a month or so.

I intend on finding the ideal ABV-Taste ratio for myself.
[Reply]
spectrrr 04:46 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
I intend on finding the ideal ABV-Taste ratio for myself.
I think that's the key. Going to be a different number for different people. Some want to drink a little and feel buzzed... others want to drunk of it liberally without fear of a hangover.

And of course, some folks can hold a lot more than others :-)
[Reply]
rizzle 10:15 AM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
That's cause you're slow Ritchie. :-) :-) Put some out Friday night and some more out Saturday morning. Might have to come up with a better "ration plan" for next year. :-)
Why you gotta make fun of an old man? :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 10:19 AM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by rizzle:
Why you gotta make fun of an old man? :-)
I can see I'm gonna have to "stash" a jar for you next year. :-)
[Reply]
rizzle 10:23 AM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
I can see I'm gonna have to "stash" a jar for you next year. :-)
Oh boy? :-)

:-)
[Reply]
deadrise 10:26 AM 11-22-2011
if things go as planed I should be going to md to get some everclear Wednesday I hope and make a batch for thanks giving :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 10:36 AM 11-22-2011
Might be time to make another batch myself...down to three quarts in the fridge.
[Reply]
spectrrr 10:37 AM 11-22-2011
if things go as planed I should be going to md to get some everclear Wednesday I hope and make a batch for thanks giving :-)
remember, its gotta cool down. may want to cook the cider today so you can mix it tomorrow :-)
[Reply]
spectrrr 04:12 AM 12-11-2011
Just found a bottle of the whipped cream vodka, now I can brew a "true" batch :-)
[Reply]
elderboy02 08:06 AM 12-11-2011
Originally Posted by spectrrr:
Just found a bottle of the whipped cream vodka, now I can brew a "true" batch :-)
Do they have it at The Party Source? I forgot to look yesterday.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 08:14 AM 12-11-2011
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
Do they have it at The Party Source? I forgot to look yesterday.
Yes.
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:17 AM 12-11-2011
Going to the store to grab some cider and cinnamon sticks...gotta make me a batch for the holiday season. :-) :-)
[Reply]
spectrrr 10:43 AM 12-11-2011
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
Yes.
$17.99 for a 1.75
$9.99 for a 750
[Reply]
Scottw 03:50 PM 12-16-2011
I paid $15 each for 2 750s of 190 proof Everclear today. When I was in high school (I mean Grad School), this stuff cost $6.99 a bottle. Anyway. I used a gallon of cider and 3/4 of a gallon of juice, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup brown sugar and 10 cinnamon sticks. It finished boiling 2 hours ago and I'll let it cool until tomorrow morning. I will use the entire two bottles of everclear so I assume I will be approaching 20 ABV. Now to find something big enough to mix it in. The house smells lovely.
[Reply]
Scottw 04:18 PM 12-16-2011
I also removed the sticks after taking it off the heat. Not sure if that was a good play as there is still plenty of cinnamon residue in there but it still tastes and smells like apple pie with vanilla ice cream (the alcohol is not in it yet)
[Reply]
Scottw 07:06 PM 12-19-2011
Finishing up the second gallon we made, thanks for the recipe (sp) it was awesome!
[Reply]
Page 7 of 15
« First < 567 89 > Last »
Up