Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 16 of 39
« First < 6141516 171826 > Last »
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
icehog3 10:55 PM 12-23-2010
I had a cigar worthy of burnt fingertips tonight. :-)
[Reply]
Devanmc 10:59 PM 12-23-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I had a cigar worthy of burnt fingertips tonight. :-)
same brother, but a xikar multi-tool kept that from happening.
[Reply]
icehog3 11:02 PM 12-23-2010
Originally Posted by Devanmc:
same brother, but a xikar multi-tool kept that from happening.
I will consider my burnt fingertips a badge of honor tonight. :-)
[Reply]
Devanmc 11:03 PM 12-23-2010
:-) but ill leave it at that, dont want to clutter this up to much with banter...we have an app(thread) for that :-)
[Reply]
davidletteney 08:59 PM 12-27-2010
I'm fairly new to cigars and have been using a guillotine cutter. is there any advantage to using a punch or different style cutter? also what is a cheap but reliable pair of cutters to have?
[Reply]
pnoon 09:03 PM 12-27-2010
Originally Posted by davidletteney:
I'm fairly new to cigars and have been using a guillotine cutter. is there any advantage to using a punch or different style cutter? also what is a cheap but reliable pair of cutters to have?
It's all a matter of personal preference.
And you'll find a wide variety of opinions on quality cutters. Palio and Xikar are two big names that make quality cutters. I'm partial to Palio.
[Reply]
joeobx 09:07 PM 12-27-2010
Originally Posted by pnoon:
It's all a matter of personal preference.
And you'll find a wide variety of opinions on quality cutters. Palio and Xikar are two big names that make quality cutters. I'm partial to Palio.
I have both and it's pretty much a toss up between the two. I like a punch fo a mixed filler like a TAT P3.
Just my :-)
[Reply]
Devanmc 09:10 PM 12-27-2010
so far i only have xikar, love both cutters. but obviously the choice is a personal pref

i also prefer a cut over a punch
[Reply]
CoreyD 10:41 AM 12-28-2010
I have 2 coolidors at home what would I need to do to get them to be able to lock and still keep air tightness and such without having to buy a new coolidor
[Reply]
bobarian 10:50 AM 12-28-2010
Originally Posted by CoreyD:
I have 2 coolidors at home what would I need to do to get them to be able to lock and still keep air tightness and such without having to buy a new coolidor
You could use a locking hasp, but any lock you use will be stronger than the cooler itself and could just be pulled off. Why do you need to lock a cooler? You could also just put the coolers in a closet and lock the door. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 10:50 AM 12-28-2010
Depends how badly they leak. Being completely airtight isn't necessary. Some self-adhesive vinyl foam weather stripping can help tremendously, but you might have to weight the lid to get them to close fully (stack the coolers, place a few hard cover books on the top cooler, or something). If the leak is severe, you're probably better off just getting a new cooler and either using the leaky one for it's intended purpose or just sell it on Craigslist for a few bucks. :-)
[Reply]
CoreyD 06:24 PM 12-28-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Why do you need to lock a cooler?
Kids and a woman at the house that are vengeful and on way out. Closet won't work cause all my closets she has a reason to get into.I'm not worried about my son because he respects me.
[Reply]
bobarian 06:45 PM 12-28-2010
Kids and a woman at the house that are vengeful and on way out. Closet won't work cause all my closets she has a reason to get into.I'm not worried about my son because he respects me.
I would take them to a friends house for temporary storage. Not really practical to put a lock on a plastic cooler, you could just yank out the screws with a pair of pliers. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 06:49 PM 12-28-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
I would take them to a friends house for temporary storage. Not really practical to put a lock on a plastic cooler, you could just yank out the screws with a pair of pliers. :-)
Bob is wise.

Epoxy wouldn't hold any better than the screws - plus, one doesn't even have to get into a cooler or humidor to damage the contents.
[Reply]
Zeuceone 06:59 PM 12-28-2010
Is it wise to put a humi pillow with sticks being mailed?
[Reply]
Zeuceone 07:12 PM 12-28-2010
Another question I seen some cigars with what looks like some small circles that are lighter in color than the wrapper. Is that from beetles? Its about ten or so, I know its not normal
[Reply]
T.G 07:26 PM 12-28-2010
Originally Posted by Zeuceone:
Is it wise to put a humi pillow with sticks being mailed?
Depends on where you are mailing them. For any shipments in the CONUS + Hawaii, I don't use them. If the cigars are properly humidified prior to shipment and placed in a bag that doesn't leak, the cigars will be there in a few days and it's not really necessary. The only time I use them is when I direct ship to Iraq/A'stan or Japan and the shipments can take weeks to be delivered (7-10 days for Japan). :-)

Originally Posted by Zeuceone:
Another question I seen some cigars with what looks like some small circles that are lighter in color than the wrapper. Is that from beetles? Its about ten or so, I know its not normal
Those sound like waterspots. Just a cosmetic discoloration in the leaf, nothing to worry about. Doesn't affect taste or structural integrity, just looks unattractive.
[Reply]
Zeuceone 07:39 PM 12-28-2010
Thanks.
[Reply]
chachee52 05:54 PM 01-19-2011
So I've have my 200ct humidor for about a year now. I have two bead tubes in it that are up to the size of the humidor (I always go above the recommended amount so I know there there is plenty). It is usually at 68% and I typically "energize" the beads once every two months of so. Recently I have noticed that every time I go into the humidor after adding more water, it's already down to about 60-62% in about a week. The beads are turning a tan/sandy color and all I have been using is distilled water in a spray bottle.
Do beads go bad? Is this something I should be worried about?
[Reply]
bobarian 06:02 PM 01-19-2011
You will see many threads about people having Rh "problems" at this time of year. Nothing to be concerned about. Beads dont go bad. But with the increase in the heat inside your house also comes a drop in humidity and the beads will work harder. You can increase the % of clear beads to 75-80% and that will help. There is nothing wrong with any Rh between 60 and 70%. As long as your cigars are smoking well there is nothing to worry about. :-)
[Reply]
Page 16 of 39
« First < 6141516 171826 > Last »
Up