Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 25 of 39
« First < 15232425 262735 > Last »
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
crazyirishman 03:04 PM 01-25-2012
As usual, pnoon has the answer.
[Reply]
Eros 03:06 PM 01-25-2012
So waiting for another day or more should help? I'm just worried about my cigars drying out in the bag. Cigars are quite the investment for me.
[Reply]
CigarNut 03:08 PM 01-25-2012
It can't hurt to wait an extra day or two and it can certainly help. This is not something you want to rush...
[Reply]
Eros 03:13 PM 01-25-2012
Also does anyone have any recommendations in regards to a machine that can clear up cigar odors pretty well? I am getting an apartment this summer and I don't have anywhere to smoke outside.
[Reply]
bobarian 03:24 PM 01-25-2012
Cigars can be stored for an extended period in a ziploc bag. I have some sitting on my desk that have been there for a month. If you are really worried, put them in a second bag. :-)
[Reply]
coty 06:21 PM 01-25-2012
Eros
http://compare.ebay.com/like/2707785..._lwgsi=y&cbt=y
maybe a good start
[Reply]
Eros 08:12 AM 01-26-2012
Thanks for that recommendation coty. Also, the humidity had dropped to 63 rh after adding a couple of cigars. I have a drymistat tube of crystal gel or whatever it is. Should I add that, or is that not advisable?
Side note: I have the 65% rh beads in there as my humidifier.
[Reply]
pnoon 08:22 AM 01-26-2012
The beads are all you should need.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Eros 08:30 AM 01-26-2012
So how low is too low as far as rh goes? I mean I don't think 62 is too much lower than 65 in regards to negatively impacting the cigars, but when should I worry? When its down in the mid 50's? Lastly, when I start adding more cigars, and the humidity keeps dropping, should I just re-season the humidor? Sorry for all the questions, I am a newbie after all.
[Reply]
icehog3 08:33 AM 01-26-2012
I keep my cigars at 62% and they smoke perfectly.

I have heard of some who keep theirs in the high 50s, but I am not experiementing because I've found the RH I like.

I would personally be worried if mine dropped below 60 for a significant amount of time.
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:38 AM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by Eros:
So how low is too low as far as rh goes? I mean I don't think 62 is too much lower than 65 in regards to negatively impacting the cigars, but when should I worry? When its down in the mid 50's? Lastly, when I start adding more cigars, and the humidity keeps dropping, should I just re-season the humidor? Sorry for all the questions, I am a newbie after all.
If the RH does not stababilze and continues to drop this may be an indicator that you rushed the seasoning process. Or it could mean that your humidor is not sealing well.

There are lots of threads here that will help you, but the key thing is that you need to be patient. It will not hurt your cigars if they are exposed to a "too-low" or "too-high" RH for a short time. It takes time for your cigars to equalize so don't worry. Also, ziplock bags are your friend! You can always safely put your cigars in a ziplock for extended periods of time while you resolve any issues you might have with your humidor.
[Reply]
Eros 08:51 AM 01-26-2012
The cigars I just purchased we already in a ziplock bag when they arrived. So if I leave them in there for another week on top of the week it took for them to arrive, they won't be completely ruined?
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:53 AM 01-26-2012
They will be fine.
[Reply]
Eros 08:58 AM 01-26-2012
Ok good. I am going to re season my humidor properly. Now I've heard varying opinions on this. Some say never to add any water directly to the wood and just let a shot glass of distilled water or a damp sponge sit in there on a baggie for a day or more. Others says apply water to the wood lightly and repeat every half hour until the wood is saturated. What has worked best for you guys?
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 09:47 AM 01-26-2012
Ok good. I am going to re season my humidor properly. Now I've heard varying opinions on this. Some say never to add any water directly to the wood and just let a shot glass of distilled water or a damp sponge sit in there on a baggie for a day or more. Others says apply water to the wood lightly and repeat every half hour until the wood is saturated. What has worked best for you guys?
There really isnt a wrong way to do it. Don't be affraid to experiment. I remember not long ago I was asking all these same questions. You receive a few different answers but basicaly it all comes down to what works for you. I wipe the inside of the wood with distilled water and put a small dish with distilled water on the inside. Make sure it is distilled!
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 09:54 AM 01-26-2012
I've followed the instructions in this thread and always had good results. Sticky: Properly Seasoning a New Humidor
[Reply]
Eros 11:29 AM 01-26-2012
So I went with the wipe down method and the sponge retained most of the moisture on the third wipe down which should mean the humidor isn't absorbing as much moisture. Now I'm supposed to wait 24 hours. Should I place the beads in now, or after I wait?
[Reply]
mase 11:45 AM 01-26-2012
Someone told me that he stores his cigars in the vegetable drawer of the refrigerator. To the best of my knowledge he is not using any humidification device. Can anyone help me understand why he might do this?

I understand the cold would keep any beetle eggs from hatching. I doubt the drawer would keep consistent humidity.
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:18 PM 01-26-2012
It probably does keep a fairly constant humidity, but in all likelihood it is a lower humidity than would be desirable for cigars...
[Reply]
galaga 12:24 PM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by mase:
Someone told me that he stores his cigars in the vegetable drawer of the refrigerator. To the best of my knowledge he is not using any humidification device. Can anyone help me understand why he might do this?

I understand the cold would keep any beetle eggs from hatching. I doubt the drawer would keep consistent humidity.
Because he doesn't know how to store cigars??? If you try it, I would use a cigar I wouldn't mind dehydrating. I suspect the cigar would dry out rather quickly.
[Reply]
Page 25 of 39
« First < 15232425 262735 > Last »
Up