Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 17 of 39
« First < 7151617 181927 > Last »
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
T.G 06:12 PM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by bobarian:
You will see many threads about people having Rh "problems" at this time of year. Nothing to be concerned about. Beads dont go bad. But with the increase in the heat inside your house also comes a drop in humidity and the beads will work harder. You can increase the % of clear beads to 75-80% and that will help. There is nothing wrong with any Rh between 60 and 70%. As long as your cigars are smoking well there is nothing to worry about. :-)
All very true.

I just wanted to add a comment that directly addresses Todd's mention of his beads turning a tan color. Todd, most likely it's a little tobacco dust or something related in the air of the humidor is causing them to stain. It happens often and as Bob said, they don't go bad and there is nothing to worry about, aside from the change in color, it doesn't affect them in the slightest.
[Reply]
Zeuceone 06:14 PM 01-19-2011
The color change is usually due to ammonia absorbing into them.
[Reply]
bobarian 06:29 PM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by Zeuceone:
The color change is usually due to ammonia absorbing into them.
Ammonia is colorless.

But it may also be due to other organic/inorganic compounds released by the cigars. I seem recall Dave from Heartfelt saying something about this a while ago.
[Reply]
chachee52 07:47 PM 01-19-2011
Thanks guys. Just don't remember it dropping that low last year.
The few cigars I've had lately seem to be smoking very well. I'll just have to watch it a little more closely.
Thanks again!
[Reply]
omgbiscuit 08:42 PM 02-13-2011
I was originally planning on buying a humi, but the more I search around here the more I'm convinced I should just buy a cooler and turn it into one :-)

My only problem is that, though I've searched, I'm finding it hard to find any information for the complete newb on how to start and maintain a coolerdor.

Also how would I go about procuring some boxes for one if I don't have a B&M nearby that sells any cigars aside from maybe some swischer sweets, but I don't really fancy putting those boxes in there.
[Reply]
Bill86 09:09 PM 02-13-2011
Originally Posted by omgbiscuit:
I was originally planning on buying a humi, but the more I search around here the more I'm convinced I should just buy a cooler and turn it into one :-)

My only problem is that, though I've searched, I'm finding it hard to find any information for the complete newb on how to start and maintain a coolerdor.

Also how would I go about procuring some boxes for one if I don't have a B&M nearby that sells any cigars aside from maybe some swischer sweets, but I don't really fancy putting those boxes in there.
Alright brother, here's what you do.

1. Go to Walmart
2. Get a cooler, 70-150 quart pick one you think is reasonable and then buy 2 sizes bigger than that.
3. Take the cooler and clean it out with hot water and baking soda (let it dry out)
4. Buy heartfelt or shilala beads. (use their charts and round up BIG time)
5. Fill said cooler
6. Buy another one
7. Repeat.
8. Repeat some more.
9. PM me with any questions you ever have, I will answer them all.

With the beads you'll need to use a spray bottle with distilled water every 2 months and when you get them. Just read the instructions at heartfelt or shilala's beads and you'll be good as gold. Most of the people here (90%+) swear by them, including myself. Others that have huge epic aristocrats that require something else entirely.

Now as for cigars, you can use many of online vendors. Most of us will tell you cigarsatyourprice.com is the best vendor out there or the party source. Maybe towercigars or fullers pullers. Anyways just pick one and buy samplers and see what you like. Everyones tastes are different. If you have no B&M shop near you (within an hour) you're stuck ordering online. It's not a bad thing but you'll have to find out what kind of cigars you like. Maybe even buy a nice 20-25 cigar sampler from someone here at CA.
[Reply]
omgbiscuit 10:44 PM 02-13-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
Alright brother, here's what you do.

1. Go to Walmart
2. Get a cooler, 70-150 quart pick one you think is reasonable and then buy 2 sizes bigger than that.
3. Take the cooler and clean it out with hot water and baking soda (let it dry out)
4. Buy heartfelt or shilala beads. (use their charts and round up BIG time)
5. Fill said cooler
6. Buy another one
7. Repeat.
8. Repeat some more.
9. PM me with any questions you ever have, I will answer them all.

With the beads you'll need to use a spray bottle with distilled water every 2 months and when you get them. Just read the instructions at heartfelt or shilala's beads and you'll be good as gold. Most of the people here (90%+) swear by them, including myself. Others that have huge epic aristocrats that require something else entirely.

Now as for cigars, you can use many of online vendors. Most of us will tell you cigarsatyourprice.com is the best vendor out there or the party source. Maybe towercigars or fullers pullers. Anyways just pick one and buy samplers and see what you like. Everyones tastes are different. If you have no B&M shop near you (within an hour) you're stuck ordering online. It's not a bad thing but you'll have to find out what kind of cigars you like. Maybe even buy a nice 20-25 cigar sampler from someone here at CA.
Thanks for the great details! :-)

Definitely expect a few PMs, you dug your own grave on that one!

I assume with the baking soda you just mean let a box sit in there for a few days rather than just sprinkle it in there?

I have to get a little more time under my belt before I'm able to join in the trades here, unfortunately.
[Reply]
gravelman 10:48 PM 02-13-2011
Jeremy, Bill said it best...I bought a 150 count humi a few years back when I wanted to take this interest seriously. It was a matter of weeks before I was looking for something else to put sticks in. I have a few small coolers now, as well as ammo boxes that I have lined with spanish cedar, and they are so simple to maintain. You do not have to worry as much about leaks due to poor craftsmanship, and they seal so nicely. Good luck to You, and have fun filling it!
[Reply]
Bill86 10:49 PM 02-13-2011
No biggie on the trades, and definitely not a grave brother. I really owe it to all the people here that have helped me a long my way. I'm more than happy to pay my dues and give back to the excellent people we have here on this forum by helping anyone I can that joins. Just keep posting and the world of knowledge will expand to you, until then there is always great vendors and you can always shoot me a PM. I'm on the forums like 5 hours a day, no joke.

No just take the cooler and scrub it out really good, there might be a plastic smell in there you just want to scrub that out with hot soapy water and baking soda. Wipe it down really good. Chances are there isn't but hey this is hundreds if not thousands of dollars you'll be investing over the months (years) with this hobby so why take the chances eh?

Originally Posted by gravelman:
Jeremy, Bill said it best...I bought a 150 count humi a few years back when I wanted to take this interest seriously. It was a matter of weeks before I was looking for something else to put sticks in. I have a few small coolers now, as well as ammo boxes that I have lined with spanish cedar, and they are so simple to maintain. You do not have to worry as much about leaks due to poor craftsmanship, and they seal so nicely. Good luck to You, and have fun filling it!
Sean is right, really a humidor only needs a very good seal. Anything would work, just as long as it has no smell and locks up very tight. A coolidor is great for those on a budget realizing they need A LOT of storage to warrant anything nicer being bought in the future. I started with a 300 count thinking I had all the space in the world, now it's nearly full and I "graduated" to a 120 quart cooler. I'll be seeing a few more of those in my future no doubt.
[Reply]
omgbiscuit 10:58 PM 02-13-2011
Great! These were the exact answers I was looking for :-)

The idea of spending a little less on a humidor and having some more for some nice smokes just too appealing to me :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 11:13 PM 02-13-2011
Coolers are an ideal budget solution to cigar storage. But I am an advocate of smaller coolers. 48-50qt coolers are easily stackable in a closet and it gives the ability to separate and expand as your collection grows. Smaller coolers are also easier to move around.

I would also recommend getting a small 70-100ct desktop humidor($50-75) for singles storage and for everyday smoking. Beads are the way to go. I use 65% Heartfelt beads, you'll need about 1/2 pound per 48qt cooler. If you find you prefer some smokes at a bit higher Rh, the smaller coolers will allow you to use a higher humidity in a separate cooler. :-)
[Reply]
jesseboston81 05:28 AM 02-14-2011
I have to get a little more time under my belt before I'm able to join in the trades here, unfortunately.
You're able to trade sooner than you think... check out the Newbie Sampler Trade.
[Reply]
gravelman 08:17 AM 02-14-2011
Originally Posted by jesseboston81:
You're able to trade sooner than you think... check out the Newbie Sampler Trade.
This is a great thread, I completed my first trade last week and it was a lot of fun. Just jump in and get started; it may seem intimidating, but everyone is very helpful.
[Reply]
Kreth 09:22 AM 02-14-2011
I assume with the baking soda you just mean let a box sit in there for a few days rather than just sprinkle it in there?
Take about half a box and add enough water to make a paste. Scrub the inside of the cooler and leave it overnight. Rinse it out well the next day and leave outside overnight opened up to air out. Add your beads and cigars.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Tyler 03:34 PM 02-14-2011
I've got a question for you guys. I received some cigars in the mail today from a trade with a brother from the pipe forums. He sent me some CC minis that got banged up in the post, some are dry, and some are cracked. I was wondering how banged up and dry does a cigar have to be to be labeled trash? Is there any hope for these little boogers? I can post pictures if that helps.
[Reply]
bobarian 03:39 PM 02-14-2011
If you can hold it between you fingers then try smoking them. You can repair some damage to larger cigars using liquid pectin. This is available at the grocery store near the canning jars. But minis are usually too small to repair. :-)
[Reply]
Tyler 03:44 PM 02-14-2011
I put them in my humidor and I guess I will let them sit in the 65% for a week and then switch it to the 70% for another week to try and regain humidity. Is there a better way to do this or is it the only way?
[Reply]
Tyler 03:53 PM 02-14-2011

[Reply]
bobarian 04:07 PM 02-14-2011
Those appear to be Partagas Short's and JLP Petite Cazadores, much larger than mini's. Rehydrate to 65%, 70 is too high for Cuban cigars. You can repair those wrappers with a little bit of liquid pectin.
[Reply]
Tyler 04:13 PM 02-14-2011
Oh I thought these are minis and smaller are cigarillos? What is the correct verbage so I don't make the mistake again?

Also, why is 70 too high for cubans? I believe you as youbare more experienced than me but I just had never heard that before.
[Reply]
Page 17 of 39
« First < 7151617 181927 > Last »
Up