Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Coffee Discussion>French Press Math
spectrrr 05:33 PM 12-05-2011
I adore my french press, but I always wondered about that... thanks :-)
[Reply]
waffle 07:32 AM 12-09-2011
Just bought this setup... similar to a french press so this will work great! Thanks for the bump!!
[Reply]
ashtonlady 09:55 AM 12-09-2011
I am sure there is a thread in here for that one Steve. I dont know if the measurement works for it. Let us know what you think.
[Reply]
waffle 09:44 PM 12-13-2011
Well, used it today and I either have the coffee ground TOO fine (it says to use an espresso grind) or there's too much... I'm going with too much (it calls for two scoops and 10 oz of water, which is what I did and it was so hard to press it down, I was leaning on it... so I'm going to toy with the setup and get it going... I used some Tanzinian Peaberry and it was AMAZING, so I'm not overly upset about it, I just have a new thing to obsess about... oh the best part? NO SLUDGE!
[Reply]
BSB 07:00 AM 01-15-2012
How long do you let a pot of French Press steep?
[Reply]
jcruse64 02:39 PM 01-15-2012
4 minutes, though I have had it at 10 minutes if I'm getting ready for work whilst brewing. I did not notice it hurting the flavor, but then my palate is not really that refined :-). But it's ALWAYS at least 4 minutes, and I always stir the water and grounds up good after I've added the hot water. I DID notice the flavor difference on that.
[Reply]
BSB 03:15 PM 01-15-2012
Thanks!
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 07:27 AM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by jcruse64:
4 minutes, though I have had it at 10 minutes if I'm getting ready for work whilst brewing. I did not notice it hurting the flavor, but then my palate is not really that refined :-). But it's ALWAYS at least 4 minutes, and I always stir the water and grounds up good after I've added the hot water. I DID notice the flavor difference on that.
Same as me, I have a dog that barks alarm on my phone at the 4 minute mark.
At first I didn't stir the grinds before steeping and now I do everytime, it tastes much better (And is much easier to press).

My alarm just went off at work and I said "Oh, coffee is done". Then I pressed it and a guy here said, "now I have seen everything".
People at work think I am crazy.
[Reply]
Dave128 07:44 PM 03-27-2012
I'm gonna have to try this.
[Reply]
thebayratt 07:15 PM 04-01-2012
I usually grind about 8-10 table spoons of beans into the grinder for 4cups.
Then let the electric water warmer warm the water to almost boiling. Then put the grounds into the press. While pouring the water slowly into the press, I start to stir it in with a slotted wooden spoon. Stir for about 30-45 seconds more once the water empties from the the pot. I let it steep for about 3-4 minutes afterwards, press, then enjoy!
[Reply]
CigarSquid 08:32 AM 04-28-2012
Good info. I am in the market for a press.. Just what I needed to know before I got one.

bump.
[Reply]
novasurf 07:06 AM 12-27-2012
This is a post from a while ago, but good info for those that got FP's for the Holidays.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:10 AM 12-27-2012
"Measure" it once and eyeball it the same level from there. Been using the same French Press since 1975. Don't need make a fuss out something so easy. A little off is not going to make a difference.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 08:11 AM 12-27-2012
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
"Measure" it once and eyeball it the same level from there. Been using the same French Press since 1975. Don't need make a fuss out something so easy. A little off is not going to make a difference.
Thats what I do, I know exactly what level to fill the beans to in the grinder.
[Reply]
BSB 08:43 AM 12-27-2012
I just use the scale every time, press or drip. It's there, why not get it right? Plus, different beans and different roast levels, change weight-volume ratio.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:42 AM 12-27-2012
Originally Posted by BSB:
I just use the scale every time, press or drip. It's there, why not get it right? Plus, different beans and different roast levels, change weight-volume ratio.
How do define different beans to roast levels, vs. addding or substracting weight? How far or a swing in weight will there be between extremes and do you think you can tell side-by-side a slight weight variation between pots of coffee?
[Reply]
BSB 02:26 PM 12-27-2012
Beans get bigger AND lighter, the darker you roast them. Green beans lose up to 25% of their weight during roasting.
Prolly couldn't tell, but the scale is right next to the coffee, so why not use it?
[Reply]
DirtRider500R 03:07 PM 01-07-2014
Bump for any other fellow newbs :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up