Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 45 of 270
« First < 35434445 46475595145 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
LooseCard 10:44 AM 07-09-2010
I put 2 Shoulders on last night, 14 pounds of happiness. :-)

Forgot the Camera at home, so I tried with the Phone. It doesn't work well in low light. :-)

12 hours later, and they've been hovering at 147 for a couple of hours!
Photo shortly. :-)
[Reply]
wayner123 11:04 AM 07-09-2010
Originally Posted by LooseCard:
I put 2 Shoulders on last night, 14 pounds of happiness. :-)

Forgot the Camera at home, so I tried with the Phone. It doesn't work well in low light. :-)

12 hours later, and they've been hovering at 147 for a couple of hours!
Photo shortly. :-)
What temp are you cooking them at?
[Reply]
LooseCard 11:43 AM 07-09-2010
Haven't bothered to check that today... LOL.

Guess I should.
[Reply]
LooseCard 12:22 PM 07-09-2010
Originally Posted by wayner123:
What temp are you cooking them at?
Still chugging along at 212 degrees.

I 3/4 filled and lit another chimney, then I realized that I still had 1 vent closed, 1 wide open, and 1 about half way....

Could have just cracked the vent a little instead. :-)

Only had 1 wide for the overnight.
Cracked 1 half way this morning. Since then I've been busy, sleeping and watching movies... :-)

I really need to find some fold-away handles for it, to make stoking easier.........
I think I need to felt-gasket the lid too. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 12:41 PM 07-09-2010
I really need to find some fold-away handles for it, to make stoking easier.........
Do you have a picture of where you need these?
[Reply]
LooseCard 10:18 PM 07-09-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
Do you have a picture of where you need these?
Opposing sides of the middle chamber of a WSM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Last weekend, was my first shot at ribs...

Cleaned, sprinkled, and rolled for space. I foil wrapped middle grate and tried a pan of Sand for the first time. I need to use less sand.

They were 'toasted off' on the grill as my lady wasn't sure.
I sliced them right on the grill, and delivered the bowl to the table for dinner. This is what survived the first night, as I was too hungry to bother with photos after the cook.

Cut anf split, too show the meat. These beat everything I've ever bought.
[Reply]
LooseCard 10:27 PM 07-09-2010
So this weekend, was pulled pork for Massphat's CBQ.
Forgot the Camera entirely. Tried to get a night shot when I put them on, but the camera-phone doesn't do well in dark situations.

BUT...

This is the morning, with 10 hours on them, with the probe just being added in:

I finally pulled them this evening, and didn't stop for photos. They're wrapped in foil, and they're going to rest overnight.

They should still be warm enough to easily pull, all morning long.......
I'll grab some photos then.
[Reply]
OLS 01:13 PM 07-10-2010
That's sort of why I cannot imagine working with a WSM.
Those rolled up ribs would drive me crazy. I know they make
vertical racks and you can take out the top grate, but I couldn't
deal with it. Now...off to take pics of my morning's festivities.
I cooked two racks and two steaks.
COMPLETELY forgot the salt, buit that added nice on the back end.
This is the most tender mellow meat I have made yet on the Char-griller.
Attached: ribs 710 d.jpg (69.3 KB) ribs 710 c.jpg (69.4 KB) ribs 710 a.jpg (54.0 KB) 
[Reply]
T.G 07:26 PM 07-10-2010
Opposing sides of the middle chamber of a WSM.
D'oh. For some reason I was thinking you had an SFB rig, thinking to myself "WTF? For an SFB?"

How about just a pair of low profile gate handles?
[Reply]
T.G 07:26 PM 07-10-2010
Great looking Q guys.
[Reply]
LooseCard 08:53 PM 07-10-2010
Originally Posted by OLS:
That's sort of why I cannot imagine working with a WSM.
Those rolled up ribs would drive me crazy. I know they make
vertical racks and you can take out the top grate, but I couldn't
deal with it. Now...off to take pics of my morning's festivities.
I cooked two racks and two steaks.
COMPLETELY forgot the salt, buit that added nice on the back end.
This is the most tender mellow meat I have made yet on the Char-griller.
I didn't have to roll them, it was just easier that way.
It's the first time I've done Ribs, so I haven't invested in a rack yet.

D'oh. For some reason I was thinking you had an SFB rig, thinking to myself "WTF? For an SFB?"

How about just a pair of low profile gate handles?
I've seen the Garage Door handles done, but want mine to fold away so that I can put the cover on it. Kinda digging the cover, now that I dug it out and used it.
[Reply]
T.G 08:59 AM 07-12-2010
Corn.

Yeah, corn.

Had three ears of mediocre corn in the fridge. Not sweet at all, not real corn-y tasting, just kind of starchy. Ripped the husks and silk completely off of them, lit a small chimney of lump poured that in the smoker, tossed on some apple wood and a little bit of plum, let it run with all the vents at 100% open for 30-40 minutes or so. Really wasn't paying attention to the time, I just kind of wandered out and checked the corn for doneness a few times.

Pulled it off, let it cool, cut it off the cob, mixed it with some chopped cilantro & sweet basil, chopped home grown cayenne peppers and some other variety of peppers I'm growing that isn't what it was supposed to be so I have no idea what the name is, some home grown cherry tomatoes and diced cucumber, minced red onion, a scan of drained black beans, and some leftover brown rice. Juiced three or four key limes, a few shakes of tapatio, a bit of EVOO, some powdered cumin and granulated garlic.

Came out quite good.

Didn't think to shoot a photo. Maybe I'll take a picture of the leftovers later.
[Reply]
LooseCard 09:59 AM 07-12-2010
Didn't think to shoot a photo. Maybe I'll take a picture of the leftovers later.
Brad said to tell you that, without photos - it didn't happen. :-) :-)
[Reply]
T.G 10:59 AM 07-12-2010
Brad said to tell you that, without photos - it didn't happen. :-) :-)
:-):-):-) I should have known that was coming...
[Reply]
T.G 11:36 AM 07-12-2010
I've seen the Garage Door handles done, but want mine to fold away so that I can put the cover on it. Kinda digging the cover, now that I dug it out and used it.
How about the 90-degree folding handles on these pages:

http://www.unicorpinc.com/handles.htm
http://www.a1parts.com/boxes/Accesso...ng_handles.htm
http://www.handlesunlimited.com/folding.html

If you don't want the bolt ends sticking through to the inside of the chamber, UniCorp also makes ones with internal thread so you can use something like a SS panhead screw and washer and keep the inside of the cooker fairly smooth/flush.

-------------ADDENDUM---------

Grainger has them, about $25/pair.

Few different options scattered on that results page.
[Reply]
LooseCard 01:31 PM 07-12-2010
Dude!

Sweet!
[Reply]
ridenlive 12:46 AM 07-13-2010
Does anyone have a wood chip combo mix they prefer. I use apple wood and pecan tree mix and it turns out very well.
[Reply]
HK3- 09:06 AM 07-14-2010
Smoked a few lbs of wings and drums the other night. Used applewood chips and marinated the meat in bbq sauce along with some scotch bonnet hot sauce that I picked up in Jamaica. Pulling the skin off the chicken before smoking it sure helps the flavor. They turned out great!
[Reply]
Darrell 09:17 AM 07-14-2010
Does anyone have a good recipe for pastrami? I know it's smoked corned beef, but that's about all I know. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 10:08 AM 07-14-2010
Originally Posted by Darrell:
Does anyone have a good recipe for pastrami? I know it's smoked corned beef, but that's about all I know. :-)
They are very similiar, it's mainly just some differences in the curing spices and preperation.

These are both good places to start:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pastrami.html
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cornedbeef.html

I've done both and if you go the prepackaged corned beef method, I will say that to me, it really didn't make that much of a noticeable difference in flavor if I used the one with the spices in the brine or the spices in the packet, but what did make a big difference was getting one that is USDA Choice versus USDA Select. Wash it for at least 4 times longer than what they recommend (I would soak/wash overnight - otherwise it ends up tasting like a nitrate salt lick).

Oh, and some mustard seed and ground juniper berries in the rub will really turn things up a notch.

PS: TenderQuick is damned near impossible to find out here, only place you might find it is a restaurant supply. You can just salt cure the brisket, but that takes weeks. Packed in a vacuum sealer bag with the brine though that might not be that big of a problem - having a semi-open container of brine and meat in a home refrigerator for weeks is a PITA.
[Reply]
Page 45 of 270
« First < 35434445 46475595145 > Last »
Up