Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Tambo Cigars
Cigary 11:33 AM 03-25-2010
I have been sitting on this cigar for awhile and wanted to give it enough time in the humidor to give it a chance to "ripen" and I gotta tell you this cigar satisfied me like few have. Here is my Review,,,,

BRAND - Tambo

SIZE - Robusto

TYPE CUTTER - CubanCrafter Perfect Cut

LIGHTER -Soft Flame Lighter

BEVERAGE - Amarula ( A must for this cigar,,trust me)

APPEARANCE - Flawless with just a small vein running halfway thru it

CONSTRUCTION - Excellent as this cigar looks like somebody took extra care in making this

FEEL - Just right,,not spongy nor was it too rigid

TASTE - LIGHT UP - When I put flame to this it started up with a really nice taste almost had some floral taste to it which worried me a bit because I am not into floral cigars.

DRAW - Did somebody test draw this cigar? It’s friggin perfect.

EVEN BURN - One of the most even burns I have had on a cigar.

TASTE 1ST THIRD - The first third as I said started with a floral kind of note to it but ended as quickly as it came on and then changed into what I found to be the keynote taste the rest of the cigar. May I take a second to say that this cigar is what brought me into the cigar hobby almost 40 years ago. The smoke was nice and thick which had tremendous “hang time” on it as it just stayed in the air and smelled wonderful,,,like real tobacco from the early days.

2ND THIRD - This cigar keeps getting better and I am enjoying this greatly. I am getting cream mixed with subtle hints of wood and pepper and spice as the flavors keep spinning around in my mouth. It’s not heavy on complexity at all which is something I like but this cigar just swirls the tastes over and over and makes me want to retro hale more than I usually do. I rarely will inhale a cigar but this thing was almost forcing me to take a bit into my lungs,,,wow! This is smooth and easy and this gives me another taste that is very good and I have to watch how much I am taking on each draw as the body of the cigar is excellent.

LAST THIRD - Im getting sad now because I see this cigar starting to end and I’m not ready. I keep getting the same good flavor with a bit of toast and nuts mixed in as well. How can a cigar maintain all of the subtle flavors all the way thru and the burn is incredibly sharp. When the ash drops off its like somebody scored each area as it neatly falls off and leaves about ¼ of an inch left to start the next ash.

OVERALL CHARACTER MEDIUM- I’d say medium to full.

RATING 1- 20 I’d say this is a 18.5 STRENGTH 1- 10 At least 7-8

COMMENTS - The entire cigar smokes with the same consistency as when it started,,excellent and the flavor of cream and toast with the nuts along with the nice easy draw is uncanny. I could smoke this cigar in my sleep if I could….and I would it’s that good. Not once did it ever get harsh or boring. I seriously did not want this cigar to end and this size lasted about an hour and a half. Thank God I saved the Grand Robusto for later. I drank some Amarula (Amarula | The Spirit of Africa ) with this and it make an already good cigar even better. The flavors mixed like a perfect recipe and are made for each other.

QUALITY - ISSUES - Absolutely none.
POSITIVES- This is a really good cigar and I am going to be a fan of this one. I am grateful for being given the chance to smoke this wonderful cigar. It’s experiences like this that make me glad to be a part of this hobby. This made a good night VERY good and if you don’t like this cigar I suggest giving up this hobby.
[Reply]
tx_tuff 02:24 PM 03-25-2010
Good review Gary. This was my first time hearing about this cigar, I had no idea who made it or what kind of tobacco is used in it. Did you know any of that before or after you smoked it?

I looked it up to see what the deal was, to my surprise it is a Indonesia Puro made in Indonesia. Here is a link to their website
http://tambocigars.com/tambocigars/
[Reply]
Cigary 02:54 PM 03-25-2010
Honestly Frank I'd never heard of this cigar and it wasn't on my radar as I read blogs and am always looking for new cigars. A brother signed me up to try this as he was getting samplers ( ,,Super Robusto and Grand Robusto ) so there was like 20 of us to receive them with the commitment of doing reviews. So far, not one negative review and all 20 are almost in. There hasn't even been a mediocre review on this sucker and how rare is it that you can get 20 diverse cigar smokers to agree on one cigar? Before I smoked mine I didn't do that much research except to look at their website and the first thing I start reading is "100% Indonesian grown and processed tobaccos" and red flags are going up all over the place. I'm thinking to myself that I'm just reviewing this thing with no cost to me so how bad can it be? I start reading the reviews coming in and the boys are loving this cigar and these are guys who know cigars. So when I finally broke down and smoked the smaller of the two after letting it sit I'm in for a real treat. The bigger cigar is supposed to be better and I'm even more excited now. I don't normally try and push cigars because everyone's palate is a bit different and I'd hate to have them be disappointed if I push them. After smoking mine I'd love to see everybody try this line of cigar because it truly is that good and esp. for the price. I don't as a rule buy a box of anything unless I love it,,,I'm buying a box of these ( Super Robustos for $156 for a box of 25 ) which is $6 per stick. That is an incredible price for something that could easily sell for $10 plus. The shipping is something that you'll have to wrap your head around because it's from Indonesia which translates to $20 so it's smart obviously to buy a box and not the 5 or 10 paks.
[Reply]
Up