Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>Cigar Reviews and Prices
Shemp Howard 09:54 PM 08-29-2010
I am new to this forum but been lurking around a bit.Currently I am in Baghdad, Iraq supporting the troops as a military contractor. I have noticed something about cigar reviews. Somebody has to bring the price into the mix. Now this in just my thoughts and views and not intended to inflame the masses. I like to read the reviews of different cigars especially ones I am considering trying out. Price some how enters into the picture on occasion. I have read reviews where the reviewer likes the cigar and then criticizes the price. Honestly I don't see where this is relivent. I smoke cigars ranging in price from a couple bucks to over thirty a stick. I don't care about the cost as long as I like it. Everybodies wallet is different. What I consider "normal" as for as cost someone else will consider it excessive. I respect that. If someone likes your review and is interested in trying it out based on your review they will Google it and check out the cost themselves. If I ever do a review you won't read about cost, it's all relative anyway. What you will read about is whether or not I enjoyed it, not how much it set me back. Again, this is not intended to inflame the masses.
[Reply]
pnoon 10:10 PM 08-29-2010
I couldn't disagree more. I think price is an integral part of perceived value. Does it change the quality of the stick? Of course not. But, assuming I trust/value your reviews, I would be inclined to spend money on a $3 stick you found to be just above average vs. a stick with the same review but sold for $30.

:-)
[Reply]
Shemp Howard 10:49 PM 08-29-2010
I guess we will agree to disagree. I have read the reviews of many cigars only to see someone say they liked it but it was over priced. It might be over priced to them and that's cool, but to me it is not an issue. It's supposed to be a "cigar" review, not a "price" review. If I liked your review and I am interested in trying it out I will do my homework on the rest.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:55 PM 08-29-2010
To each his own....if one wants to mention the price, great. If not, great. I ain't gonna stress over it. :-)
[Reply]
awsmith4 11:13 PM 08-29-2010
I think price does make a difference.

First let me say a cigar HAS to taste good and to me that is king, but taste is more than one sensation. A cigar may be have a single taste that shines through but stays consistent the whole smoke, I would call that one dimensional. Now if you like that one dimension, Score! But a pricier stick to me should be more dynamic and be complex but a cheaper smoke can be less complex and I'll still find appreciation.

A very close second factor is construction. When a cigar cost me a pretty penny it better burn and draw to my liking. But if I am smoking a cheap cigar and it tastes good (most important) I might look over the fact that it has an uneven burn or is slightly plugged.

In summary my opinion is if a cheap cigar tastes good and is constructed decently I am pleased, if it is expensive it needs to be complex and well constructed to justify the cost.
[Reply]
ABNMP619 12:01 AM 08-30-2010
I will be honest with you all, I think cigars are like shoes in today's market; you are only paying for the name! I have smoked cigars that were rated 95+ and as I go to purchase them they were only like $2.00 a stick. Damn good stick and cheap in price. Price is not everything, but if a cigar is that awesome, then I will pull the cash out. Sometimes I think we get robbed at smokers!
[Reply]
Shemp Howard 12:30 AM 08-30-2010
Oh no doubt we pay for a name. Name doesn't of course mean you will like it. I love some but not all of the Ashton line. Thy might be a little on the expensive side to some but not to me. I might be going to a B&M and pay out the nose and you go online and find the same one at a hefty discount. I will enjoy mine as much as you will even if I paid more per stick than you. Price has absolutely no bearing on the enjoyment.
[Reply]
Goldie 12:39 AM 08-30-2010
I agree that price does not change the quality of a cigar, however I think it does play a (significant for some) role in the enjoyment of a cigar.

If I pay $5 for a stick, and it's good, I am happy, and would smoke more of 'em. If I pay $20, $25+ for a stick and it's mediocre, I'm pissed. The price doesn't change the quality of the stick, but it plays a big role in my enjoyment and overall opinion of a stick.

I don't know if there is a worst feeling than being excited about something and it turns out sub par.

My unprofessional $0.02.
[Reply]
bobarian 12:55 AM 08-30-2010
Price is definitely part of the process. Whether reviewing or purchasing, the price of a cigar does make a difference. Higher prices reflect both cost of production(including branding), demand and relative scarcity. But price alone does not determine quality. There are those that smoke expensive cigars regardless of quality, fortunately these snobbish smokers are few and far between. Most of us prefer to find value in cigars and on life.
[Reply]
Bill86 01:10 AM 08-30-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Price is definitely part of the process. Whether reviewing or purchasing, the price of a cigar does make a difference. Higher prices reflect both cost of production(including branding), demand and relative scarcity. But price alone does not determine quality. There are those that smoke expensive cigars regardless of quality, fortunately these snobbish smokers are few and far between. Most of us prefer to find value in cigars and on life.
Originally Posted by Goldie:
I agree that price does not change the quality of a cigar, however I think it does play a (significant for some) role in the enjoyment of a cigar.

If I pay $5 for a stick, and it's good, I am happy, and would smoke more of 'em. If I pay $20, $25+ for a stick and it's mediocre, I'm pissed. The price doesn't change the quality of the stick, but it plays a big role in my enjoyment and overall opinion of a stick.

I don't know if there is a worst feeling than being excited about something and it turns out sub par.

My unprofessional $0.02.
Originally Posted by pnoon:
I couldn't disagree more. I think price is an integral part of perceived value. Does it change the quality of the stick? Of course not. But, assuming I trust/value your reviews, I would be inclined to spend money on a $3 stick you found to be just above average vs. a stick with the same review but sold for $30.

I agree with the masses, it's important. I smoked a $12 fuentes it was SO-SO. For $2-3 more I smoked a Montecristo and Tatuaje...blew my mind. Price definitely is a big selling point. I bought another tat and I'm getting another monte....not buying that fuentes, got a short story instead (cheaper and better).
[Reply]
bigliver 02:22 AM 08-30-2010
Originally Posted by Shemp Howard:
I will enjoy mine as much as you will even if I paid more per stick than you. Price has absolutely no bearing on the enjoyment.
Price is in no way a reflection of the taste of a cigar. It has no bearing on how I interpret the flavors and nuances of a given stick. But on the subject of enjoyment, I will enjoy any cigar much more when I feel the price paid is comparable to the quality and flavor I am getting out of the cigar. If I feel I overpaid compared to these factors, I will not enjoy the cigar as much, as I could find cigars that suit my liking better for a lesser premium. Many sticks these days are overhyped. Many more are worth the commanding price tag. I don't make enough money to get my hands on all the cigars I want now. As such, I must find a balance between what I really like and how much I am willing to pay. Price has more bearing for me on my enjoyment of a cigar. My money is too hard to come by. Just my :-).
[Reply]
Don Fernando 02:49 AM 08-30-2010
and what price would you mention? mrsp? or what you actually paid for it? What if you got it on a sale, would you mention the sale price or the normal price? And you have to post in which state you bought it, as taxes are different everywhere. Every B&M asks different prices for cigars, and not to mention people like me, who live in a whole different country with again, different taxes and prices.

Posting prices raises more questions than it answers.
[Reply]
Bill86 02:51 AM 08-30-2010
The price you pay you simply post it and what you think about the cigar for the price....if you say XXX cigar cost me $13.50 and it's fantastic, someone paying $15 might not find it a bad value either. Or If they can get it for less would DEFINITELY pick it up. If someone finds it for $20....they might not be so inclined as to buy it.
[Reply]
bigdix 03:00 AM 08-30-2010
Originally Posted by pnoon:

:-) What he said.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 03:01 AM 08-30-2010
but then, that same guy that doesn't want to pay $20 goes online and finds it for $10, that might change his opinion. For example, if I post the price of what a Padron 1926 (close to €100) or 1964 anni costs here in The Netherlands in one of my reviews, nobody would think about buying those cigars anymore, while they can be bought online in the US for much less. So naming that price is unfair too. That's why I hardly ever mention a price and I'll keep it that way.
[Reply]
Shemp Howard 03:51 AM 08-30-2010
So the way I'm reading this that a majority of people are thinking about how much they paid or didn't pay while smoking their cigars instead of enjoying the hour or so it will take to burn it. Also, price will dictate whether or not it is enjoyable. WOW! REALLY? I guess I am one of the minority because cost just doesn't make it or break it for me. If I enjoyed it I will buy more. If I didn't I won't touch another, even if were free.
[Reply]
pnoon 06:41 AM 08-30-2010
Originally Posted by Shemp Howard:
So the way I'm reading this that a majority of people are thinking about how much they paid or didn't pay while smoking their cigars instead of enjoying the hour or so it will take to burn it.
No. I think you're missing the point.
As Tom said, it's not worth stressing over.
[Reply]
Yardgnome 06:51 AM 08-30-2010
I generally don't pay attention to the price on cigars anymore, I found that when I was carefully watching price that I would not enjoy cigars nearly as much I as I do now.
[Reply]
Skywalker 07:00 AM 08-30-2010
I almost always mention price in my reviews, even if it was gift. I'm a person seeking good value. This includes the quality of the cigar and the price.

I have never stressed about the price of a cigar. Enjoying a cigar and doing a review are very different for me. If I'm going to relax with a cigar then I don't pick up a a pen, pad of paper, or camera.

I'm glad price is not an issue for the op.:-) For some of us it is.
[Reply]
Dunkel 07:16 AM 08-30-2010
I'm glad that you have a fat wallet and you say "It might be over priced to them and that's cool, but to me it is not an issue". We are very happy that you make alot of money. We also thank you for sharing that information with us, over and over again. "Smoke what you like, like what you smoke"

The fact that you have an issue with people who mention price in their reviews says alot about you. Make your own reviews before you criticize others who have taken their time to share their experience and opinions with the rest of us. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up