Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
All Cigar Discussion>Cigar Reviews and Prices
d'am 05:11 PM 08-31-2010
Originally Posted by Brooks W:
And I agree that the price should be mentioned in the review somewhere, but I think it is asinine to deduct (or give) more points to a cigar in a review, just because of price (or better yet, because of how hard a cigar is to find).
Excellent. We agree on this point.

Originally Posted by Brooks W:
The review should be about flavor, (and construction) and nothing else...why?
I think you're confusing "review" with "score." A cigar must be scored independent of its price for the exact reasons you've mentioned. But the price deserves a mention somewhere in the review. A $3 stick that holds its own against respected $10 sticks should not score higher simply because of its value, but the bargain certainly deserves an honorable mention.
[Reply]
bishjd123 09:18 AM 09-01-2010
I think the price helps the review from a value perspective. A $3 stick may be a good value by the rater, but if the going rate is $8 I might think twice about trying it until I can find it cheaper. That's not to say that I won't try a $15 - $20 dollar stick either, but I won't do it blindly. When I read a review I like to see if the reviewer felt that the going rate for the smoke was worth it or not.
[Reply]
itzfrank 12:51 PM 09-01-2010
Originally Posted by md4958:
A $30 cigar should not smoke like a $3 cigar. They are in a different class. Just like you can't fairly compare a Yaris to a Lexus even though, they are both Toyota, and will get you to the same spot.
I think this is a bad comparison because the only difference between Yaris, Toyota and Lexus is the materials used for the trim inside. There's a reason that Lexus is known for their "service" AND it's not because they make fantastic cars. :-)
[Reply]
md4958 01:01 PM 09-01-2010
Originally Posted by itzfrank:
I think this is a bad comparison because the only difference between Yaris, Toyota and Lexus is the materials used for the trim inside. There's a reason that Lexus is known for their "service" AND it's not because they make fantastic cars. :-)
point completely missed :-)
[Reply]
jmsremax 01:06 PM 09-01-2010

Not true at all.....

Camry vs ES series are the closest you get to being the same. The LS series is far superior than the Avalon (in more ways than trim). Toyota Corp has one of the most sound service AND quality.....there's a reason they are the number one car company.

But I digress from what the argument was.
[Reply]
T.G 01:50 PM 09-01-2010
You know what grinds my gears?

Reviews. Scores. Descriptions. All that superfluous fluff.

Screw that.

Just the name of the cigar, a picture of the band (because bands are cool and you can tell a good cigar by the band) and the price.
[Reply]
pnoon 02:30 PM 09-01-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
You know what grinds my gears?

Reviews. Scores. Descriptions. All that superfluous fluff.

Screw that.

Just the name of the cigar, a picture of the band (because bands are cool and you can tell a good cigar by the band) and the price.
Gurkha FTW.
[Reply]
T.G 02:35 PM 09-01-2010
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Gurkha FTW.
YESSSSSSS !!!!

And I like to rotate the cigar a lot when I smoke it, so that way everyone can see the band and see how my cigar is so much better than theirs because it costs more and has a great band.
[Reply]
Da Klugs 02:39 PM 09-01-2010
:-)

Price in reviews? Maybe for reg production current stuff it can add value to the perspective.

Other stuff... no reason for it. Things can get wierd and sometimes its better not to know or have to admit depending on the perspective.

Plus... what:-)if wives secretly read here?
[Reply]
BigAsh 02:44 PM 09-01-2010
Originally Posted by Da Klugs:

Plus... what:-)if wives secretly read here?
really the ONLY relevant point....you can close this now...:-)
[Reply]
Bax 02:52 PM 09-01-2010
So the only difference between a Yaris and an LS430 is the interior trim? NOT

BTW ...Lexus are fantastic cars. But the point of the car comparisson was you expect more out of a 60,000 Benz than out of a 14,000 Chevy. The price becomes the MAIN issue. If you dropped 55,000 on a Shelby 500 and it's getting it's butt handed to it on a race course by a little turbo Honda that cost a third... you'd be pissed.
[Reply]
longknocker 05:05 PM 09-01-2010
Originally Posted by pnoon:
I couldn't disagree more. I think price is an integral part of perceived value. Does it change the quality of the stick? Of course not. But, assuming I trust/value your reviews, I would be inclined to spend money on a $3 stick you found to be just above average vs. a stick with the same review but sold for $30.

:-) When I First Started Doing Reviews, I Left Off The Price. A Fellow BOTL PM'd Me Asking For The Price As This Would Definitely Influence Him In His Decision To Buy Or Not.:-)
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up