Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>JR "Cuban" Alternative Cohiba Robusto
fsjonsey 07:12 PM 01-07-2009
Size:4.5x50 Robusto
Origin:Nicaragua
Presentation: Cellophane wrapped bundle of 20.
Price: $22.95 per bundle of 20.
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Sun Grown
Filler: Nicaraguan Ligero blend.
Beverage: Diet Pepsi

I picked up two bundles of these little robustos last June or July, in my quest for a cheap everyday smoke. I smoked a few right off the truck, and they weren't bad, but still rather green and somewhat harsh. I threw them in the bottom of my humidor and forgot about them almost entirely. Boy, what a difference a seven month rest at 65% RH can make. These cheap little sticks have been transformed into smooth little Nicaraguan powerhouses. At first light, I was met with lots of spice and strong Nicaraguan tobacco flavor. About 1/2 of an inch in, the spice mellowed out considerably, leaving, smooth, but powerful tobacco flavor, and ample amounts of smoke. Construction was excellent for a cigar in this price range. The draw was effortless, without being overly loose. Burn stayed straight and true throughout, without any touchups. The ash held tight for almost three and a half inches, and only dropped when I placed the cigar in my ashtray to take a sip of my Pepsi. The rest of the ash held all the way to the nub. I continued to smoke it until my fingers and lips were singed. It sure as hell doesn't taste like a Cuban, but was an excellent little smoke nonetheless. In fact, I rate this one up there with my other favorite cheap smoke, the Famous Nic 3000. If you like Nicaraguan tobacco, I highly recommend it.
[Reply]
MikeyC 07:21 PM 01-07-2009
I'm always curious when I see these "alternative" cigars. I always wonder if they even remotely approximate the original.

Thanks for the review! :-)
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 09:45 PM 01-07-2009
Originally Posted by fsjonsey:
I threw them in the bottom of my humidor and forgot about them almost entirely. Boy, what a difference a seven month rest at 65% RH can make. These cheap little sticks have been transformed into smooth little Nicaraguan powerhouses.
Thank you for stepping up to the plate with a great review. Its amazing what a little rest can do for certain blends of cigars isn't it? And it looks like you've found a nice everyday smoke once they have bedded down for awhile too. Probably time to secure some extra bundles huh?:-)

[Reply]
Skywalker 11:02 PM 01-07-2009
I have been wondering about these!!!

Thanks for doing a review!!!

[Reply]
Starscream 09:32 PM 01-09-2009
I love these sticks. Probably the same blend as the Alt Cohiba Sig IV, which I buy from time to time. And you can't beat them for the price.
[Reply]
Up