Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>A Stradivarius, Well Played
tzaddi 12:24 AM 01-01-2009
It was for the occasion of my 55th birthday that Dr. Chet Sunde presented me with a Stradivarius Lonsdale, complete with one of the finest cigar "coffins" I have ever held. Chet is not only a fine BOTL but the current Patron Saint of the Grindstone Cigar Club, a tradition in these "parts" for over 100 years and this was our weekly "meeting" 2 days after my birthday.

Stradivarius de los Maestros Lonsdale

Origin: Dominican Republic
Length: 6.75
Ring: 43
Strength: Mild-Medium
Wrapper Color: Light Brown (N)
Wrapper Type: Connecticut Shade
Binder: Dominican Republic
Filler: DR/NIC/MEX
MSRP: $30

Originally Posted by :
Handcrafted in the Dominican Republic by a team of the most experienced tobacco experts under the direction of Daniel Núñez. Perfectly aged Dominican, Nicaraguan and Mexican filler tobaccos are skillfully blended together and paired with Dominican Havana seed binders that were aged in Tercios (bales wrapped in palm leaves) for 2 years. The vintage, Connecticut shade wrappers from the 1992 crop that have been cloistered for almost 15-years, give these mild to medium bodied, complex masterpieces the perfect harmonizing finish. Each humidor-quality box contains 10 cigars packed individually in wooden coffins that are closed with a protective wax seal and adorned with a ribbon.
As would be expected given the price tag and opulent presentation, this was truly a finely crafted cigar. From the moment I took it from it's box, moistened the cap an punched the hole until it threatened to burn my fingers & lips this gathering of leaf was consistent, in burn, draw, ash & flavor.

The pre-light draw tempted my palette with a subtle cedar sweetness that only a well aged Connecticut shade leaf can deliver. A perfect draw, giving up plenty of smoke without effort, one might get the impression that it was actually smoking itself. Let me remind you that this is a mild cigar and as such it required ones attention or focus to enjoy. The creamy toasted tobacco notes flowed through the cigar from beginning to end, complex in the way that Fleur de Sal differs from table salt.

There where many reasons why this cigar was memorable and given the opportunity to smoke another I would do so to see if the experience could be repeated or even expanded upon. Perhaps it was the time, place & company, not to mention the great little box. I would have a difficult time paying the MSRP but you know how that goes, I think they have dropped to $15 when purchased by the box, but remember they are mild-medium. :-)

And now for the barrage of photos, after all isn't that why you really stopped by?

I was thoughtful and sampled them down.

[Reply]
tzaddi 12:26 AM 01-01-2009

If you consider yourself a connoisseur of mild-medium cigars give this one a try if your wallet is feeling a bit fat or you have thoughtful & generous friends.
[Reply]
Skywalker 12:39 AM 01-01-2009
Very nice review my friend!!!

Now I don't have to worry about buying one!!! I felt like I had the pleasure of smoking one from your review!!!
[Reply]
bobarian 12:43 AM 01-01-2009

What a spectacular review! Some amazing pics. I feel like I was in the room watching you enjoy this one! Thank you for sharing, Richard!
[Reply]
tzaddi 01:11 AM 01-01-2009
Bob & Darrell, it's great bringing in the New Year with you guys. It was a fun smoke as we hope they all will be. That cigar was really doing some fancy smoke tricks :-)
[Reply]
Ratters 01:48 AM 01-01-2009
You nubbed the hell out of that one. :-)

Happy Birthday Richard. :-)

Hope to see you next month at Bob's.
[Reply]
Bax 08:21 AM 01-01-2009
It's nice to hear a nice review about this stick for a change, Glad you enjoyed it:-)
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 08:28 AM 01-01-2009
Thanks for sharing. You did a great review on a great cigar.
[Reply]
Cigarmark 08:43 AM 01-01-2009
Thanks for the review! I received one 1 1/2 years ago at RTDA and have not smoked it yet. I was afraid I'd be disappointed so I could not bring myself to smoke it. I may just save it and gift it away in 10 years or so.:-) I'm glad you enjoyed it!
[Reply]
nozero 08:45 AM 01-01-2009
Splendid review! Thanks!
:-)
[Reply]
schnell987 10:59 AM 01-01-2009
Great review, Richard! Gotta love those pics too. I may just have to go out and try one of those cigars (even though you left a little unsmoked tobacco Image).

Anyway, I hope that you had a very Happy Birthday, my friend! Image

Best Regards,
Kevin
[Reply]
groogs 12:02 PM 01-01-2009
Nice review and great pics as always.

Happy Birthday Richard, I hope to herf with you again sometime soon.
[Reply]
Pat1075 12:30 PM 01-01-2009
Great review, and fantastic pictures. Thank you.
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 07:02 PM 01-01-2009
As always, a fantastic review and pictorial. Makes me want to find one of those and make my own tune.

MCS
[Reply]
gvarsity 09:23 PM 01-02-2009
Originally Posted by bobarian:

What a spectacular review! Some amazing pics. I feel like I was in the room watching you enjoy this one! Thank you for sharing, Richard!
Great review as always and I loved this pic. So much so I thought it deserved to reposted a third time.
Cheers
[Reply]
Tombstone 09:29 PM 01-02-2009
Great Review and nice pictures.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 03:32 AM 01-03-2009
Need to try one of those, last week we found a shop in Amsterdam that sold them as singles.
[Reply]
Up