Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>AF Anejo virgin no more
RevSmoke 01:20 PM 12-30-2008
OK, I have had a couple AF Anejos given to me as gifts a while back, but I never smoked them. I was waiting for a special occasion. Thought about buying some this "Anejo season," but not sure that I'd like them, I didn't buy any. My first 1/2 dozen Opus, back in the'90s were serious disappointments - lack of flavor and serious burn issues - so, another expensive wild card fom AF was something I wasn't really keen on throwing money at - especially since they run near $20 a stick. Yes, I am a bit of a tightwad with what little expendable income I do have. (yeah, I know, the MSRP is about $8 for a 50, but where do you find that? And, I am still not one to part with that much $$ unless it is a stick I am absolutely in love with.)

Anyway, Hotreds had given me a "50" a while back - say March or April???

On Sunday, the Lions set a new record of 0-16, and the boys wanted to go bowling, so I hooked up with Tim (14holestogie) and decided to meet him there to watch the Dolophin/Jets game and to keep an eye on my boys.

What to smoke? My first AF Anejo - the 50 gifted to me by Hotreds.

This was impeccably crafted, beautiful to look at, and firm throughout. This has a slight sweetness in the mouth, what are these wrappers aged in? Snip & light. Wow, this is almost a full-bodied stick. Serious amounts of wonderfully rich, sweet, and slightly spicey smoke. The ash was perfect ash - a whitey/tighty that held for a bit over half the stick till it dropped withou my even noticing.

The flavors were wonderful and the aroma was pleasant - tasted of white chocolate, cinnamon, and leather. There was a spiciness that faded in and out - and the flavors got richer and deeper as it developed.

Thanks Hugh, for a great cigar.

I will have to wait till I can find these sometime when my expendable cash flow situation is better. For that to happen though, it usually means a funeral or two. So, I think I can go without these for a while.

I still have another one, a longer one, sitting in the humidor. Will save that for another special occasion.

At least now I know what the hype is all about.

I have a couple Opus sitting in the humidor too, may have to visit them again. Maybe the bugs that were in the early versions have been worked out since then.
[Reply]
mrreindeer 01:53 PM 12-30-2008
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
Maybe the bugs that were in the early versions have been worked out since then.
If not, send the Beetlegars my way! :-):-)

Very nice review Todd, thanks! I've got a 5'er of Sharks in the humi I can't wait to dive into but they're sitting for now because I'm waiting for that 'perfect' moment. :-):-)
[Reply]
shilala 01:00 PM 12-31-2008
I like an Anejo every now and then.
Todd, I chew on them. They're the saltiest cigar I've ever tasted. That may have something to do with the wrapper.
They also produce an incredible amount of dark tobacco spit, just like chewing scrap.
Between smoking and chewing the cigar, the Anejo once gave me the most ass-kickin' nicotine buzz I've ever had. Not a "get sick" buzz, either.
They're a very nice occasional stick. Good for a nice spring sunny day and a fishing pole. :-)
[Reply]
tchariya 01:20 PM 12-31-2008
I do like an occasional Anejo and Opus. I truly believe that they are 'buy and smoke now' sticks since the tobacco has already been aged. I don't think they benefit much from aging. But that is my experience.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 01:44 PM 12-31-2008
I don't get the hype around these cigars. Ok, they are good cigars, but quite easily available (at least here in The Netherlands) and not too special.
[Reply]
ScottieM 01:52 PM 12-31-2008
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
I don't get the hype around these cigars. Ok, they are good cigars, but quite easily available (at least here in The Netherlands) and not too special.

The Hype is caused by the fact that they are only released around the Holidays in the US. They are good and the price isn't bad either for the most part.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 01:54 PM 12-31-2008
they are easily available here, all year long, they even had to cut the price in half to get rid of them :-)
[Reply]
tchariya 01:59 PM 12-31-2008
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
they are easily available here, all year long, they even had to cut the price in half to get rid of them :-)
Well, who would want to smoke NCs in Europe when you can easily have the real deal Cubans without having to worry about some govt embargo law.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 02:03 PM 12-31-2008
I would, Cubans are overrated. Sure, most Cubans are good, but different from a good NC. And I like Nic tobacco better then Cuban tobacco, it's all about flavor and preferences.
[Reply]
Up