Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Don Pepin Garcia Series JJ Maduro Selecto
Ratters 07:14 PM 12-29-2008
Cigar: Don Pepin Garcia Series JJ Maduro Selecto
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Maduro
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaraguan Corojo and Criollo
Vitola: 5x50
Price: Free, gifted by elderboy02 thank you very much. 7.80 a stick of CI.

Setting: Sun room, 5 pm, about 50 degrees out and dropping. Drinking a Snapple soon to be replaced by a root beer.

Pre-light: The cigar has a nice light chocolate brown appearance, with a nice oily sheen. The wrapper appeared lighter to me than what I remember for seeing them in the shops. The veins are medium to heavy and the wrap lines are clearly visible, but the cigar is solid with little to no soft spots. The cap is nicely rounded and cut easily using the Cranial Screw Top method. The wrapper has a nice light barnyard scent to it with a touch of spice, and the cold draw is of sweet tobacco.

First third: After completely lighting the foot I was greeted with large amounts of smoke on the first puff. The cigar has that definite Pepin bite to it, but also some sweetness. Initial flavors were of bitter coffee and roasted nuts, with a woody undertone. The burn line is a tad wavy but we'll see where it goes. The draw on the cigar is nigh perfect and the ash seems to be holding firm. As I get about an inch in the pepper is starting to irritate the back of the throat.

Second third: The irritation has lessoned which is nice. What remains is that woody/cedar undertone with the nutty taste and coffee bitterness. All in all it makes for a pleasant smoke. Once I started on the root beer some of the flavors in the cigar really started to open up, the sweetness playing off the spice. Burn continues a bit wavy but nothing that requires attention. Burn rate seems somewhat quick for something so fully packed with tobacco, hitting the second third right at about the 20 minute mark. Draw and smoke production still please and the finish is smooth with a tad of bitter on the tongue, like from a good cup o joe. Body is in the medium to full range, but not feeling much strength to the smoke yet.

Final third: At the very end of the the second third the spice really mellowed out. The flavors remain though the nuttiness has really gone to the background and the cedar flavor has come to the fore. It is becoming a very pleasant smoke. The bitterness remains but it adds more than detracts from the cigar. The ash is holding strong if a bit flakey. The smoke is really thick and creamy making for great smoke rings. As I get to the end this sweet chocolately flavor started coming out. Really finishing on a high note.

Final thoughts: I want to thank Daniel for giving me the opportunity to smoke and review this cigar. It started off a bit rough but really came into it's own about the half way point. As far as Pepins are concerned I think I still prefer the Cuban Classic, but this is a close second.

Liked it: Yes
Buy again: Didn't buy this one, but when I can buy smokes again I'll definitely be keeping my eye on Joe Cigar for a deal.
Reccommend: Definitely
[Reply]
nozero 07:30 PM 12-29-2008
Great review and pics! Thanks for sharing!
:-)
[Reply]
elderboy02 08:08 PM 12-29-2008
Thanks for the review Ratters! :-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 08:09 PM 12-29-2008
nice review:-)
[Reply]
Darrell 08:19 PM 12-29-2008
Always a good review, Steve. :-)
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 08:29 PM 12-29-2008
Thanks for the review and photo's Ratters. That's a tasty looking maddy:-)

[Reply]
Ratters 09:17 PM 12-29-2008
Thanks guys. I'm going to try and get to one of those Cuban Crafters later in the week Mark.
[Reply]
NickyTeen 09:23 PM 12-29-2008
Another great review Steve.:-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 09:27 PM 12-29-2008
Another great review Steve!!!

I love the JJ Maduro!!! One of my favorites!!!

[Reply]
South Shield 09:56 PM 12-29-2008
nice review

I will try it
[Reply]
dcamacho 10:06 PM 12-29-2008
oooooooo i like this cigar.
[Reply]
macpappy 08:51 AM 12-30-2008
I've had a few different Pepin's and the JJ Maduro is the best of the bunch that I have tried.
[Reply]
auburnfan1980 02:45 PM 12-30-2008
Nice review. JJ Maddy is now my second-fave of the Don Pepin line.

Jason
[Reply]
Paint 02:47 PM 12-30-2008
Nice review love those cigars also!!
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 05:24 PM 12-30-2008
Originally Posted by auburnfan1980:
Nice review. JJ Maddy is now my second-fave of the Don Pepin line. Jason
What's your first Jason?

[Reply]
auburnfan1980 10:26 AM 12-31-2008
the Cuban Classic Figurado specifically. Of all the Don Pepin blended sticks I've tried, the My Father lancero that Barbourjay gifted to me was my favorite, however. Beautiful floral/nutty flavor to it without losing the spice that I so love about his sticks.
[Reply]
shilala 12:54 PM 12-31-2008
The JJ Maduro is my very favorite cigar. Love 'em. :-)
[Reply]
Blueface 01:00 PM 12-31-2008
Great review.
One of my favorites of Pepin cigars.
[Reply]
Fumador 08:22 PM 12-31-2008
These are deeeelicious!
[Reply]
Cigary 10:13 PM 12-31-2008
Love Don Pepin cigars and will try this one. Nice pic of the smoke ring,,,I give that a 8.5 and would have given you a 10 if you had caught it smack in the middle of the pic frame,,,can always crop and repost. Thx for the review.
[Reply]
Up