Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>CAO LX2 Robusto w/Photos
Skywalker 12:31 PM 12-24-2008
If I would have known that LX2 = Double Ligero I probably wouldn’t have picked this one up from my B&M. I am not a big fan of cigars that make me feel seasick!!! But I bought it and here is my review!

The CAO LX2 was inspired by tobacco from the Pueblo Nuevo farm in Nicaragua.

Origin: Nicaragua
Wrapper Type: Colorado
Wrapper Color: Dark Natural
Binder: Honduran
Filler Nicaragua/Dominican Ligero mix
Strength: Full
Length/Ring: 5 x 48

The construction on these is flawless except for a few veins running the length of the cigar. The bands are very stylish and remind me of the Cruzado band, with tribal markings.

Pre-light draw was open and faint smell and flavor of wet dog (not bad in a cigar).

The first few puffs were smooth and unimpressive. I could taste hay and a little cedar. This hay flavor stayed for the first third of the cigar. No spice detected at all. I paired this with Irish Crème and Coffee.

About one-third through the hay taste gave way to wood – cedar. The cedar flavor lasted through out the experience. The draw was perfect but the burn was uneven and needed correcting at several points.

As you can see the ash held on for a long time, however it was very crooked and scary looking!

About halfway through I became lightheaded and decided to put a few teaspoons of sugar in my coffee after a warm up. I slowed my smoking down to enjoy the rest of the cigar as it had become very strong in nicotine. The flavor didn’t really change that much but became bitter.

The bitterness and cedar persisted and I needed to purge for the rest of the smoke. I did snork at one point and did not enjoy it at all. The intensity of the nicotine was growing. The rest of the cigar was not very enjoyable, as the bitterness became a little overpowering. I still did not detect pepper or spice of any kind and I am very sensitive to spice!

Total smoke time took one hour and 12 minutes.

Construction/Appearance: 9.5 out of 10
Flavor Balance: 7 out of 10 – No likey the bitter!!!
Strength: Full - Nicotine buzz and nap afterwards
Over all experience: 7.5 out of 10
Value: I bought this at my B&M for $8.50 (Cheap for a kick in the pants!)

I would buy this for my Mentors as they enjoy a more intense experience! However, I will not be smoking this one again!

[Reply]
elderboy02 01:05 PM 12-24-2008
Thank you for the review! I picked up a couple of these at my B&M. I think I will rest them some more.
[Reply]
Cigarcop 01:44 PM 12-24-2008
Nice review and great pics:-)
[Reply]
PaleRider 02:55 PM 12-24-2008
Great Review. Sorry you bit off a bit more than you could handle. I hold your tobacconist responsible for that. Great pictures. Very well documented.

Thanks for sharing with us.:-)
[Reply]
NickyTeen 02:59 PM 12-24-2008
Nice review as always Darrel.:-) Got one of these the other day. Sounds like i ought to let it rest a bit.
[Reply]
Darrell 03:00 PM 12-24-2008
Good review, OB. We got these down at WC a few weeks ago but I don't mess with CAO anymore.
[Reply]
troutbreath 10:18 AM 12-30-2008
Great review! Sorry it came with a buzz . . . never actually thought I would write that. Good looking stick. GREAT pictures.
[Reply]
Nerachnia 11:41 AM 12-30-2008
Thanks for the review. Reminds me of when hte San Christobals first came out ... they were all bitter from being too young. a year later they are much better.
[Reply]
mrreindeer 11:45 AM 12-30-2008
Great review & great pics, thanks!

I liked the one I had in Vegas. Thanks to drinking heavily while smoking, I didn't get the buzz you experienced!
[Reply]
Scottw 12:09 PM 12-30-2008
Great review and pics.
[Reply]
auburnfan1980 02:43 PM 12-30-2008
pretty surprised you didn't pick up ANY pepper or spice as my palate is quite adept and detecting those as well. I loved this stick and detected plenty of spice in mine...maybe they're just not that consistent, but after three, I'm still lovin' it! Thanks for the review and pictures!

Jason
[Reply]
Paint 03:00 PM 12-30-2008
I have had one and thought it to be ok nothing really special in my book!It had no flavor changes and thought the profile to be so so in my book
[Reply]
MithShrike 09:38 AM 12-31-2008
Nothing special this is true. However, I must say this is the first CAO I've liked. I found it a medium on the strength scale though.
[Reply]
Up