Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Tabacos Baez Favoritos
borndead1 10:04 AM 12-24-2008
Belicoso shape

Got this cigar at the MMM Herf in Jackson Sunday night.

Perfectly constructed as usual with DPG. I was interested in this cigar because it is made with a Connecticut wrap.

First few draws were SUPER strong and spicy, which was weird considering I had heard this was a milder cigar. Man, maybe the torcedor accidentally slipped some extra ligero in this stick, because this thing has some bite.

Nice flavor, straight tobacco and spice on the draw with a floral finish. The aroma coming from the foot is strong and bitey. This cigar taste similar to another cigar but I can't think of it right now.

Smoking...thinking...smoking...thinking. Got it. This cigar tastes quite similar to the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet line of cigars. This is not a bad thing. I love the SCCC.

About 1/3 in, the power has mellowed a bit, and the floral finish is becoming more pronounced. They are growing some tasty tobacco down there in Nicaragua. :-)

Burn is getting crooked, requiring a few touch ups. Not horrible, but enough to be a bit annoying.

Halfway point, a nice change in the flavor profile. Floral is still there, but being balanced out by a tart earthy flavor. No longer tastes like a SCCC. I am diggin' this cigar. Burn is still crooked but no more touchups required.

Let 'er die at about 1.5".

Final thoughts: Another winner for Pepin. A little pricey for me at $7+ per stick, but I'm sure I could score some on c bid for quite a bit less than that. The Tabacos Baez is not on the "MUST GET MORE" list, but I will definitely be on the lookout for a good deal on them in the future.
[Reply]
NickyTeen 03:10 PM 12-24-2008
Thanks for the review.:-) Got some of these in a toro size awhile back. That first hit of spice is the only part i thought was worthwhile. Very disappointed in this cigar. Only DPG Ive had that I dont like. Have had 3 of these and its always the same. Good start ,then nothing. This one is now on my never again list.
[Reply]
Up