Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Cigars in Tubes
Felixcigar 10:15 AM 08-17-2013
Greetings. New member here (I'll dispense with the life story and usual statistics, its not very interesting anyway). Lets get right to it.

Cigars In Tubes: I am getting the distinct impression that keeping cigars in their tubes while being stored in your humidor is not a good idea. What clued me in to this was the apparent development of mold on cigars that had spent any substantial length of time in my humidor (Bovida at 72%). I have even noticed that the only cigars not stored in tubes that have also developed mold were packaged and shipped to me in tubes (I un-tubed them prior to storage).
Any insight into the mold phenomenon would be appreciated.

Thanks.
[Reply]
Garbandz 10:20 AM 08-17-2013
your humi is over moist and probably too warm as well.there must be a thread here for new folks giving tips for this sort of thing..............
[Reply]
Felixcigar 10:24 AM 08-17-2013
Originally Posted by Garbandz:
your humi is over moist and probably too warm as well.there must be a thread here for new folks giving tips for this sort of thing..............
Yes, I was wondering about that. They live in an air-conditioned home in CT, so temp rarely goes above, lets say 75 degrees. I was considering dropping down a notch to the 69% Bovida: I wonder if that is enough to do the trick. But I'm still not sure why the non-tubed sticks, living in the same environment, don't seem to have this problem?
[Reply]
pektel 10:29 AM 08-17-2013
I would venture to say the cedar in the tubos has a big part to play. I only have a few tubos in my humi, but all of them have the cedar removed.

That being said, I prefer to store my smokes at 60-65%rh and 65 degrees F.
[Reply]
Felixcigar 10:53 AM 08-17-2013
Cedar: interesting. Never considered that as the culprit.
[Reply]
CamoFlogged 11:33 AM 08-17-2013
First, make sure RH is really what you think it is. The Boveda's can only absorb so fast and if you are sticking in wet sticks then your RH is probably above 72% which IMHO, is too high anyway.

Second, again in my opinion, instead of 69% try 65's. I think you will solve your mold issue and like the way your sticks smoke better. You might even find 62's work better.

Third, get all your sticks out of the humi and clean them and the humi well.
[Reply]
BlackDog 11:42 AM 08-17-2013
I store my sticks at 58% - 60%. No mold and no need for dry boxing.
[Reply]
xerais 02:07 PM 08-17-2013
I take cigars out of tubes personally.
[Reply]
CigarNut 02:43 PM 08-17-2013
Depends upon the cigars, but if they come in tubes I usually leave them in the tubes. Most tubes are sealed so even if your humidor is too humid the cigars in the tubes should not mold.

The catch is temperature. If the temps are high the cigars in the tubes can suffer (as can your un-tubed cigars).
[Reply]
BlackDog 03:36 PM 08-17-2013
Originally Posted by xerais:
Yeah, you can't entrust a job like that to any old rif-raf. :-)
[Reply]
Garbandz 04:21 PM 08-17-2013
Originally Posted by xerais:

I take cigars out of tubes professionally.........
[Reply]
xerais 05:05 PM 08-17-2013
They require a light touch...
[Reply]
Sadden 06:16 PM 08-17-2013
The only problem I have with tubes is the cedar wrap on the inside. Can trap moisture and cause mold even at 65% or lower...

Any cigars that I get that come with a cedar wrap has it removed immediately.
[Reply]
Felixcigar 06:53 PM 08-17-2013
Thanks to all for your input. I think I've got it: way lower humidity (those Bovida packs make it so easy) and lose the cedar wrapper.
I have to ask: what do most folks do with cigars that have spots of mold on them: I've been smoking them, with no (apparent) ill effects. I will wipe the mold off with an alcohol swab, just for good measure. I just can't seem to toss a cigar I've spent $7-$10 on (maybe I'm just too cheap).
[Reply]
BlackDog 07:05 PM 08-17-2013
If it's white mold go ahead and wipe it off and smoke it. If it's green mold toss the stick.
[Reply]
Fordman4ever 08:31 PM 08-17-2013
I've never had an issue with tubos.
[Reply]
pektel 05:54 AM 08-18-2013
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever:
I've never had an issue with tubos.
Aside from mold, I generally don't like the flavor of a cigar fresh out of the tube. If I plan ahead, I'll take the cigar out for a few days. At the very least I'll remove the cap.
[Reply]
Up