Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
View Poll Results: In your opinion, can satellite and Redbox be replaced by Netflix
Yes 4 20.00%
No 16 80.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Entertainment>Netflix instead of satellite & Redbox???
chaase321 10:37 AM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
After digging into more of the units it would appear that a Roku unit with a subscription to Hulu Plus is what I need to cover current tv show issues. Then I need a way to stream new release movies. I guess Netflix isn't a good source for new release streamed movies. Got a better option?
Amazon instant.

Remember now...Roku is not the internet. You won't have the ability to watch anything other than what they offer through their apps/partners. So without satellite, you won't have live sports or news and what not (some Roku person correct me if wrong...just reading on their site)
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 10:39 AM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by chaase321:
Amazon instant.

Remember now...Roku is not the internet. You won't have the ability to watch anything other than what they offer through their apps/partners. So without satellite, you won't have live sports or news and what not (some Roku person correct me if wrong...just reading on their site)
OKay so I need:

Roku
Hulu Plus
Amazon Instant
and a way to search the web?
[Reply]
chaase321 10:42 AM 01-19-2012
That's where the fun comes in! lol

That is why I went with GoogleTV...sure i would love Hulu Plus to be on there and sadly it isn't yet (but in the works), but at least I can search for the shows I want to watch. Roku is a subscription streamer.

So to answer your question...you won't need a way to search the web if you are comfortable watching your computer for those things that are not available through roku.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 10:46 AM 01-19-2012
That's where the fun comes in! lol

That is why I went with GoogleTV...sure i would love Hulu Plus to be on there and sadly it isn't yet (but in the works), but at least I can search for the shows I want to watch. Roku is a subscription streamer.

So to answer your question...you won't need a way to search the web if you are comfortable watching your computer for those things that are not available through roku.
I don't want to watch anything on my computer.
Does GTV have current TV shows?
Why is GTV better than Hulu Plus?

I want unlimited subscriptions so I am not buying individual items all the time.
[Reply]
chaase321 10:48 AM 01-19-2012
GTV is strictly better in that the internet gives you access to find current tv shows, HOWEVER, they may not be best quality as someone may have bootlegged and what not to make them available.

Hulu Plus may come to GTV and when it does, I will sign up for that subscription in a heartbeat on my GTV.
[Reply]
chaase321 10:52 AM 01-19-2012
Here let me run through it with you:

Roku = Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Prime, others that are available to purchase a subscription. Roku is a streaming device that gives you instant access to these through apps (same as would be on a smart phone) but is limited to what they offer, as in, the app has to be on Roku to use...Roku does not have internet.

GoogleTV = is also a streaming device that you purchase subscriptions through...the down side is that it doesn't have Hulu Plus (yet), therefore, there isn't a "platform (i.e. app)" to watch current tv shows. However, it used the google chrome web browser for your internet and you can search (just like on an comp) for anything the net has to offer. Therefore, if you search long enough, you will probably find the latest episode of anything you want to watch...just depends on how much you want to dig around or if you want it at your fingertips through an app.

As for movies, again, the GTV may be your best bet for finding a current movie faster than it came out to Netflix or Amazon instant.

Hope this helps bud
[Reply]
Starscream 12:00 PM 01-19-2012
Question: Is your internet service coming from the same satellite provider you are thinking about cutting out? If you drop the satellite, usually the internet price increases by a decent amount. Then you won't be saving as much as you originally thought. It may be beneficial, it may not.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 12:07 PM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by Starscream:
Question: Is your internet service coming from the same satellite provider you are thinking about cutting out? If you drop the satellite, usually the internet price increases by a decent amount. Then you won't be saving as much as you originally thought. It may be beneficial, it may not.
No I have two different service providers, good point though. Thanks.
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:08 PM 01-19-2012
I voted no. There is no single source of entertainment. For example, I have Netflix, Frontier FIOS (used to be Verizon until they bailed) for TV and Internet. I subscribe to all the premium channels.

I watch True Blood on HBO. For some stupid reason my DVR failed to record one episode. HBO does not share their content with any other providers at this time. My provider, Frontier does not have an "HBO Go" agreement with HBO, so there is no where for me to go to obtain my missed episode short of waiting for HBO to re-air it.

Netflix has a really wide variety of titles, especially for older stuff. Their contracts do not permit them (today) to steam many new releases...

This kind of thing happens all the time for all providers. No one service seems to have it all. The closest thing would be DirecTV + Netflix. DirecTV has about the best selection of On Demand shows from the premium channels, and Netflix gives you everything else.
[Reply]
chaase321 12:15 PM 01-19-2012
Michael, go to www . sidereel . com and search true blood, all of the episodes are on there and you can pick the one you missed and watch it on the net. just an option.
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:28 PM 01-19-2012
Michael, go to www . sidereel . com and search true blood, all of the episodes are on there and you can pick the one you missed and watch it on the net. just an option.
Unless I am missing something it seems to only let me watch it through HBO GO or Xfinitity and I am not subscribed to either...
[Reply]
chaase321 12:42 PM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Unless I am missing something it seems to only let me watch it through HBO GO or Xfinitity and I am not subscribed to either...
sorry, wrong site...not sure what I was thinking. See pm
[Reply]
Starscream 12:54 PM 01-19-2012
No I have two different service providers, good point though. Thanks.
:-)
[Reply]
replicant_argent 01:05 PM 01-19-2012
After digging into more of the units it would appear that a Roku unit with a subscription to Hulu Plus is what I need to cover current tv show issues. Then I need a way to stream new release movies. I guess Netflix isn't a good source for new release streamed movies. Got a better option?
Not so much. The "newest" releases are not streamed. Or very very few, anyway. To see what Netflix considers "new" releases, go to www.instantwatcher.com and click the button. "New" is 6 months (if you are really lucky), but most likely a year or two behind the DVD release date. And spotty selection as well.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 06:03 AM 01-20-2012
Thanks everybody for all of your helpfull opinions, so I went and bought a Roku last night.
Now I gotta sign up for Hulu Plus and a movie app. So far I am pretty happy with the unit, very easy install and seems to be very user friendly, maybe too user friendly as it is very simple. And I can't believe it didn't come with a HDMI cable, that's my fault for not reading but you think the BestBuy rep would have suggested it.

Man I just found out Hulu doesn't have The Walking Dead or Ink Masters.
[Reply]
Bill86 06:16 AM 01-20-2012
I vote you hook your TV up to a computer :-)

The possibilities are ENDLESS :-)

Netflix sucks.
[Reply]
chaase321 07:10 AM 01-20-2012
Man I just found out Hulu doesn't have The Walking Dead or Ink Masters.
REALLY!?!?! I would have never guessed that! I figured Hulu was your best bet at all current shows. I haven't looked through what it has and doesn't have because GoogleTV isn't compatible yet. Everyone raves about Hulu Plus though.

Amazon instant may have it, but my guess would be that you have to purchase it to watch it.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 07:33 AM 01-20-2012
REALLY!?!?! I would have never guessed that! I figured Hulu was your best bet at all current shows. I haven't looked through what it has and doesn't have because GoogleTV isn't compatible yet. Everyone raves about Hulu Plus though.

Amazon instant may have it, but my guess would be that you have to purchase it to watch it.
I may eventually buy a windows TV, I was checking them out yesteday. Pretty awesome operating system in a TV!
I need to subscribe to Amazon instant and Hulu Plus, thats my plan so far.

Originally Posted by Bill86:
I vote you hook your TV up to a computer :-)

The possibilities are ENDLESS :-)

Netflix sucks.
I just don't want to have to use my computer for controls???
[Reply]
chaase321 07:53 AM 01-20-2012
I may eventually buy a windows TV, I was checking them out yesteday. Pretty awesome operating system in a TV!
yeah those TV's are Bad A$$
[Reply]
Bill86 03:23 PM 01-20-2012

I just don't want to have to use my computer for controls???
You don't :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up