Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 6
« First < 234 56 >
Entertainment>The Beatles: What am I missing?
icehog3 02:14 PM 12-06-2011
Yes....thanks to drugs, and all the irreparable harm that quitting them 25 years ago has done to me.
[Reply]
68TriShield 03:11 PM 12-06-2011
I prefer not to be in any camp.
[Reply]
markem 03:32 PM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by 68TriShield:
I prefer not to be in any camp.
Then why do you belong to that nudist camp?
[Reply]
68TriShield 03:35 PM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by markem:
Then why do you belong to that nudist camp?
That camp doesn't count Mark :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 04:02 PM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by Parshooter:
Thanks to drugs.
Lennon & McCarthy are the song writing pair of all time.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:12 PM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by Parshooter:
Thanks to drugs.
Though I am reluctant to bring this up, it remains a valid reason why you may be "missing it" with the Beatles. The use of hallucinogens such as mescaline, psilocybin, and most notably LSD not only affected the perception of the members of The Beatles (and other bands) but also effected their music as well. It also follows as the night the day that the understanding of their music by the fans was changed by the fans' own usage of these substances. This change in their music began as early as Revolver and Rubber Soul, but reached a mind-expanded peak with Sgt. Pepper. You can believe this or not, but there's no way you can truly "understand" an album like Sgt. Pepper (or Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon, or Traffic's Low Spark Of High Heel Boys, or many others) unless you've "dropped" an hour before you listen to them. Under the influence, you then can grasp what they are doing, both musically and lyrically, in a way that's just not possible when you're "straight". But once you have this revelation, this epiphany, you can never hear it the same way again, no matter what condition your condition is in. Me, I've dropped nothing stronger than an Advil for nearly 40 years, yet I still "get it."

I'm certainly not suggesting you return to the days of Owsley's blotter and windowpane LSD-25 in order to find out what you are missing, but merely point out the potential roadblock to this. And it does not mean one can't appreciate their music (or not, as the case may be) without chemical aids. One does not need to be a mathematician to enjoy the music of J.S. Bach, yet such a knowledge will give one a more complete understanding. That's all I'm saying here.
[Reply]
pnoon 07:10 PM 12-06-2011
Something fun to lighten the mood. Yet topical

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/12-ex...ut-popular-mus
[Reply]
MNSmoker 07:42 PM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Something fun to lighten the mood. Yet topical

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/12-ex...ut-popular-mus
We're done as a society.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:51 PM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Paul McCartney wasn't bad either. :-)
[Reply]
Volusianator 01:59 AM 12-07-2011
:-):-):-)

Originally Posted by RevSmoke:

Beatles? What's not to get about them? They were doing things nobody was doing. Don't compare them to today.

[Reply]
Lumpold 04:33 AM 12-07-2011
Y'all need to get hold of Mellow Dubmarine
[Reply]
Stephen 08:54 AM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by The Poet:
Though I am reluctant to bring this up, it remains a valid reason why you may be "missing it" with the Beatles. The use of hallucinogens such as mescaline, psilocybin, and most notably LSD not only affected the perception of the members of The Beatles (and other bands) but also effected their music as well. It also follows as the night the day that the understanding of their music by the fans was changed by the fans' own usage of these substances. This change in their music began as early as Revolver and Rubber Soul, but reached a mind-expanded peak with Sgt. Pepper. You can believe this or not, but there's no way you can truly "understand" an album like Sgt. Pepper (or Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon, or Traffic's Low Spark Of High Heel Boys, or many others) unless you've "dropped" an hour before you listen to them. Under the influence, you then can grasp what they are doing, both musically and lyrically, in a way that's just not possible when you're "straight". But once you have this revelation, this epiphany, you can never hear it the same way again, no matter what condition your condition is in. Me, I've dropped nothing stronger than an Advil for nearly 40 years, yet I still "get it."

I'm certainly not suggesting you return to the days of Owsley's blotter and windowpane LSD-25 in order to find out what you are missing, but merely point out the potential roadblock to this. And it does not mean one can't appreciate their music (or not, as the case may be) without chemical aids. One does not need to be a mathematician to enjoy the music of J.S. Bach, yet such a knowledge will give one a more complete understanding. That's all I'm saying here.
What do deadheads say when they sober up?

What the Hell is this awful music??!!!
[Reply]
icehog3 09:08 AM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by Stephen:
What do deadheads say when they sober up?

What the Hell is this awful music??!!!
I thought that was Parrotheads. :-)
[Reply]
14holestogie 09:21 AM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I thought that was Parrotheads. :-)
We never sober up. :-)
[Reply]
AD720 11:43 AM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Paul McCartney wasn't bad either. :-)
hmmmmmmmm

and

:-):-)
[Reply]
icehog3 01:56 PM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by 14holestogie:
No wonder he keeps selling records. :-) :-)
[Reply]
gorob23 02:23 PM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by The Poet:
Me, I've dropped nothing stronger than an Advil for nearly 40 years, yet I still "get it."
Not true! What about that cigar we had at the Deck .... had to be some thing in that :-)

Look it is really easy either you like it or you don't. I for one have found that as I have gotten older my taste have changed so much it amazes me. AND if there is shot singer involved I LIKE IT! :-)

Come on Shakira enough said. So dose want a sing-a-long!:-)

Rob:-)
[Reply]
floydpink 02:26 PM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by forgop:
Elvis, Beatles, The Doors, Grateful Dead, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Rush....all of them....meh
Just about listed the soundtrack of my life.
[Reply]
cricky101 02:58 PM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by forgop:
Elvis, Beatles, The Doors, Grateful Dead, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Rush....all of them....meh
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Yeah, a bunch of no names, never heard of 'em. :-):-)
:-) What could they possibly have contributed to popular music ?? :-)
[Reply]
longknocker 03:00 PM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by 14holestogie:
:-) Long Live Buffett!:-):-)
[Reply]
Page 4 of 6
« First < 234 56 >
Up