Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 6
1 23 > Last »
Entertainment>The Beatles: What am I missing?
blugill 05:11 PM 12-04-2011
I'll start off by saying I don't get it. I'm 41, listened to them on the radio when they were on the radio. Was a paperboy in high school and frequently heard the radio documentaries about their life and times every weekend but I don't get it.

I'd be perfectly happy to never listen to another Beatles tune and not regret it. I know a lot of people still listen to them, but I find their stuff tired, dated, and not really relevant today.

Now Led Zeppelin on the other hand!
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 05:18 PM 12-04-2011
+1
There are a few good Beatles songs but the Eagles even kick their butts for staying power.
[Reply]
longknocker 05:21 PM 12-04-2011
"Here Comes The Sun"- Best Song Ever! :-) I Like Led Zeppelin & The Eagles, Too, Though. :-)
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 05:21 PM 12-04-2011
I appreciate them but don't like them so much. I'm a much bigger fan of The Who and The Kinks.

MCS
[Reply]
bobarian 05:23 PM 12-04-2011
Sgt Peppers, best album of all time end to end.:-)
[Reply]
14holestogie 05:24 PM 12-04-2011
Without the Beatles, I'm not sure we're talking about any other British bands. :-)
[Reply]
mase 05:25 PM 12-04-2011
I'm with you - I don't get it. My favorite is Led Zeppelin. I like the Stones much more than the Beatles.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 05:35 PM 12-04-2011
OK, the one I don't get is Elvis.

Beatles? What's not to get about them? They were doing things nobody was doing. Don't compare them to today.
[Reply]
forgop 05:50 PM 12-04-2011
Elvis, Beatles, The Doors, Grateful Dead, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Rush....all of them....meh
[Reply]
bobarian 05:57 PM 12-04-2011
Originally Posted by forgop:
Elvis, Beatles, The Doors, Grateful Dead, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Rush....all of them....meh
Yeah, a bunch of no names, never heard of 'em. :-):-)
[Reply]
14holestogie 06:04 PM 12-04-2011
No offense, Andy, but if you're 41, the Beatles songs you were hearing on the radio were 10-15 years old by the time you were hearing them (I'm assuming late 70's by the time you were listening). They should have seemed a little dated. Now, if you were listening as these songs were appearing for the first time, then you'd understand what Rev is talking about.
It was inventive stuff that opened doors and challenged others to keep up.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:06 PM 12-04-2011
The later the Beatles recording, the more I like it. I loved John Lennon's solo work. I like the Stones much more as a band, but Beatles have better song writting and composition IMO.
[Reply]
14holestogie 06:09 PM 12-04-2011
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
The later the Beatles recording, the more I like it. I loved John Lennon's solo work. I like the Stones much more as a band, but Beatles have better song writting and composition IMO.
If you listen to their earliest stuff next to their later stuff, the growth these guys showed in their 6-7 year life was unparallelled.
[Reply]
blugill 06:11 PM 12-04-2011
Originally Posted by 14holestogie:
No offense, Andy, but if you're 41, the Beatles songs you were hearing on the radio were 10-15 years old by the time you were hearing them (I'm assuming late 70's by the time you were listening). They should have seemed a little dated. Now, if you were listening as these songs were appearing for the first time, then you'd understand what Rev is talking about.
It was inventive stuff that opened doors and challenged others to keep up.
None taken, that's what I'm asking. What am I missing?
[Reply]
RichardW 06:13 PM 12-04-2011
You shoulda been there -- were born too late :-)
[Reply]
forgop 06:18 PM 12-04-2011
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Yeah, a bunch of no names, never heard of 'em. :-):-)
I'm just saying I won't listen to any of it because I just don't "get" any of them. I would prefer silence over listening to any of those groups. :-)
[Reply]
markem 06:20 PM 12-04-2011
I'm just saying I won't listen to any of it because I just don't "get" any of them. I would prefer silence over listening to any of those groups. :-)
I can understand. There are plenty of things over which I prefer silence :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 06:30 PM 12-04-2011
Originally Posted by markem:
I can understand. There are plenty of things over which I prefer silence :-)
:-)
[Reply]
Gophernut 06:35 PM 12-04-2011
I am a huge Rush fan, and to even have them included on this list, is a huge honor if you ask me. Yes, I do understand you don't necessarily like them. I have honestly never even thought of them in this league, and they are my all time favorite band.:-)
[Reply]
pnoon 06:36 PM 12-04-2011
That's o.k.
We don't care for Justin Beiber and Miley Cyrus.
:-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 6
1 23 > Last »
Up