Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 5 of 6
« First < 345 6 >
Entertainment>Netflix Change...
SvilleKid 03:21 PM 09-19-2011
Originally Posted by dave:
Same here. Was going to just tuff it out, pay the extra and evaluate the value a little later. But, the email was BS -- the separation of billing sucks, and the separation of queue sites really blows big chunks. That's the last straw for me. The bundled price was attractive in the past, and the bundled interface was enough to keep it around a bit. No more.
Already shot themselves in the left testicle. Now they have put a round thru their right one. I'm guessing now they have their gun pointing at that appendage in-between, just waiting to pull the trigger!

Two sites, no cross coordination? Netflix is setting it up so they can easily sell off the dvd side at a later (sooner??) date. They promise more, better future content, but they haven't delivered in the past, so that just sounded like "blah, blah, blah" to me!

Thanks for the blog site! I didn't get the e-mail, so I guess I'm not really that important to them after all!!

Sorry, rant over!
[Reply]
mkarnold1 03:53 PM 09-19-2011
I lost about $2000 in netflix stocks over the last couple weeks... Guess I should have unloaded it when it was up. If I hadn't been paying attention to school and my kids I may have read that story earlier and realized how stupid that idea is...
[Reply]
mkarnold1 04:02 PM 09-19-2011
I still realized a 330% profit, but still...
[Reply]
mithrilG60 04:04 PM 09-19-2011
Originally Posted by SvilleKid:
Already shot themselves in the left testicle. Now they have put a round thru their right one. I'm guessing now they have their gun pointing at that appendage in-between, just waiting to pull the trigger!

Two sites, no cross coordination? Netflix is setting it up so they can easily sell off the dvd side at a later (sooner??) date.
The amount of streaming content Netflix currently offers may weak, and you guys down south have about 1000 fold more streaming content than we do in Canada, but they correct in one thing: physical media like DVD is a dying medium for mass content distribution. I personally see splitting the business off now while the investment in the DVD side is at it's highest (DVD?? seriously? standard def?) makes a lot of sense so that it doesn't drag down the bottom line of the streaming business once it starts to die.

That said, I'm neither a Netflix shareholder or subscriber so my opinion is just that of a mildly interested outsider observer.
[Reply]
bvilchez 10:12 AM 10-11-2011
Received an e-mail from them yesterday stating that they know that I left but wanted to inform me that Qwikster will not be and that the price change had to happen. REALLY!?!?
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
ktblunden 10:17 AM 10-11-2011
I got the email as a current subscriber. I've only had streaming only, so none of this has affected me at all, but I have to laugh my ass off at the arrogance this company has displayed. The CEO sent out an email to all subscribers basically saying, "This is what's happening, deal with it. Also, now it's two companies." Now they send out an email basically saying, "So from the flood of people quitting we see that you may be upset. Forget about the whole second company thing. We're still gonna charge you extra, though."

I'll take a serious look at Blockbuster's service as soon as it's available on the PS3 like Netflix is.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 10:25 AM 10-11-2011
I got that email. I changed from blu-ray and streaming to just streaming. I'd quit altogether, but I can stream Netflix on my Mac, laptop, iPod touch, 360, blu-ray player, and 3DS. I can't do all of that with Blockbuster, Amazon Prime, or Hulu. Netflix has enough Star Trek alone to keep me busy for the next year. For the price of one season of Trek I can get them all for a year streaming on a boatload of devices. Why would I change services now?
[Reply]
mithrilG60 12:33 PM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by mariogolbee:
I got that email. I changed from blu-ray and streaming to just streaming. I'd quit altogether, but I can stream Netflix on my Mac, laptop, iPod touch, 360, blu-ray player, and 3DS. I can't do all of that with Blockbuster, Amazon Prime, or Hulu. Netflix has enough Star Trek alone to keep me busy for the next year. For the price of one season of Trek I can get them all for a year streaming on a boatload of devices. Why would I change services now?
This is exactly what they're banking on, and they are quite correct that physical media is a dying business model compared to streaming content. The physical media side of their business (DVD & BluRay) will probably be killed off entirely within a year or two due to lack of profitability. Personally I can't imagine why you'd ever want the hassles of dealing with DVD's and BluRay's anyway. It's so much easier and more convenient to just stream and/or download everything. Hell, I bought my BluRay player over 2 years ago now and still have yet to put a disc (DVD or BluRay) in it. In fact I'm not even sure if it works :-) The next time I take apart the entertainment console it's just getting pulled out and sold full stop.
[Reply]
ktblunden 01:08 PM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by mithrilG60:
This is exactly what they're banking on, and they are quite correct that physical media is a dying business model compared to streaming content. The physical media side of their business (DVD & BluRay) will probably be killed off entirely within a year or two due to lack of profitability. Personally I can't imagine why you'd ever want the hassles of dealing with DVD's and BluRay's anyway. It's so much easier and more convenient to just stream and/or download everything. Hell, I bought my BluRay player over 2 years ago now and still have yet to put a disc (DVD or BluRay) in it. In fact I'm not even sure if it works :-) The next time I take apart the entertainment console it's just getting pulled out and sold full stop.
I will be a lot more satisfied with Instant if they expand their library. 75% of the stuff I want to watch and search for is DVD only. I deal with what they have currently, and since they jacked up the price on the DVD service I won't be adding that any time soon, but I've seen titles drop off my Instant Queue as they become no longer available and haven't seen a lot of new stuff added.
[Reply]
forgop 03:28 PM 10-11-2011
Local video store I drove by this afternoon had their sign say "cancel netflix and get $5 in free rentals". Very much of this will kill netflix.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 04:15 PM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by forgop:
Local video store I drove by this afternoon had their sign say "cancel netflix and get $5 in free rentals". Very much of this will kill netflix.
Yeah, if all 56 local independent video stores across the nation put pressure on amazon, itunes, hulu, vudu, blockbuster, and netflix, they will cause a sting like sandpaper on a callous.
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 04:40 PM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
yeah, if all 56 local independent video stores across the nation put pressure on amazon, itunes, hulu, vudu, blockbuster, and netflix, they will cause a sting like sandpaper on a callous.

mcs
[Reply]
replicant_argent 04:52 PM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly:

mcs
I didn't count the one that only carries the foreign films involving whipped cream and shaved llamas. Too specialized.
[Reply]
357 09:30 PM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by ktblunden:
I will be a lot more satisfied with Instant if they expand their library. 75% of the stuff I want to watch and search for is DVD only. I deal with what they have currently, and since they jacked up the price on the DVD service I won't be adding that any time soon, but I've seen titles drop off my Instant Queue as they become no longer available and haven't seen a lot of new stuff added.
This is key. Bandwidth and distribution costs are why more content isn't available for streaming. It sucks because I think most of us would drop the mail service if streaming content had half of what is available via DVD/BR.
[Reply]
Resipsa 10:01 PM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly:

mcs
58 if you're counting the one my Aunt Enis just started out of her living room. She finally got the settlement check from Uncle Myron being maimed in that exploding tube of Preparation H incident.:-)
[Reply]
Apoco 06:21 AM 10-12-2011
Originally Posted by 357:
This is key. Bandwidth and distribution costs are why more content isn't available for streaming. It sucks because I think most of us would drop the mail service if streaming content had half of what is available via DVD/BR.
More importantly - licensing fees. Starz wouldn't accept the insane dollar amounts (~$200 million for a single year IIRC) for Netflix to obtain the right to stream content. They can't afford everything and/or the entities aren't willing to sell the rights to Netflix.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
357 10:36 AM 10-12-2011
Originally Posted by Apoco:
More importantly - licensing fees. Starz wouldn't accept the insane dollar amounts (~$200 million for a single year IIRC) for Netflix to obtain the right to stream content. They can't afford everything and/or the entities aren't willing to sell the rights to Netflix.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's what I meant by distribution costs, aka paying the movie distributors for the right to offer it via streaming.
[Reply]
Starz26 07:52 PM 10-12-2011
If you do cancel, make sure it is the last day of your billing cycle. No refunds and no partial credit and cancellation is immediate.

I was billed and then I realized I forgot to cancel, so the next day I logged on and canceled. I had 1d of the billing cycle and then no longer had access and not refund. If I signed back up for the month they were going to charge me again.

I finally got a refund when I asked for a copy of my agreement, not what is online, but what was when I signed up, and the address for a summons. They could not provide the agreement and gave me a refund...

My fault for not reading fine print, but shady on their part to just keep money without providing the service paid for.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 08:21 AM 01-19-2012
What ever happened with this? Did you all drop Netflix?
I am thinking about getting rid of cable and just getting Netflix but not sure if they would have enough content to satisfy my needs.
[Reply]
hotreds 08:39 AM 01-19-2012
I've kept both for the time being. Nice to be able to sit down and watch something streaming. My queue is 150 titles long!
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
« First < 345 6 >
Up