Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 6
1 23 > Last »
Entertainment>Netflix Change...
CigarNut 07:13 PM 07-12-2011
My $11.99 Netflix plan (unlimited streaming, unlimited DVD/Blu Ray's one at a time) is changing. Starting in September it is going up to $17.98 -- $7.99 for DVD/Blu Ray one at a time, and $9.99 for streaming...

Guess I am going to drop the streaming for the time being... If they had a better/more current streaming selection I would keep it, but very limited titles makes it too expensive at this price...
[Reply]
SvilleKid 07:27 PM 07-12-2011
You get an e-mail about it? Just wondering if I need to check my (almost) dormant AOL email acct!
[Reply]
hammondc 07:28 PM 07-12-2011
The online browsing selection is GARBAGGIO! This will hurt them.
[Reply]
hotreds 07:29 PM 07-12-2011
I was miffed at getting this as well. For now, I'll keep both, but the streaming better improve- or my Roku better improve- or else I'll drop it.
[Reply]
Starscream 07:44 PM 07-12-2011
I like the streaming selection. Haven't heard about the price increase though. That sucks.:-)

EDIT: I read an article saying that their facebook page is flooded with complaints, so maybe that will do something. A 60% increase is a joke.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/23562...firestorm.html
[Reply]
markem 07:51 PM 07-12-2011
I got the same thing. Looked at Blockbuster and they are no better. I like the streaming for shows. We are, for example, watching old episodes of Futurama while waiting on the DVD turnaround. Works for us.

The new price sucks. They obviously feel that they are in the driver's seat. The massive system-wide outage of streaming last week makes the timing look like they don't care one bit.
[Reply]
elderboy02 07:52 PM 07-12-2011
This sucks big time.. :-)
[Reply]
Zeuceone 07:58 PM 07-12-2011
I dont see how they can increase the price. Anyone have experience with Hulu?
[Reply]
SvilleKid 08:03 PM 07-12-2011
In addition to the price increase that will drive me away, they keep monkeying with what is, and what is not available for streaming. One week, a movie is streaming, the next, it's not. Plus, too much older shows that ARE NOT streaming, but should be. A price increase would put their service out of my "need to have" category!
[Reply]
hammondc 08:05 PM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by SvilleKid:
In addition to the price increase that will drive me away, they keep monkeying with what is, and what is not available for streaming. One week, a movie is streaming, the next, it's not. Plus, too much older shows that ARE NOT streaming, but should be. A price increase would put their service out of my "need to have" category!
All of this.
[Reply]
stumm729 08:07 PM 07-12-2011
Almost a 200% change since last year. Terrible. I might drop the whole thing on principle.
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 08:14 PM 07-12-2011
I got the email today. This is their second substantial price increase in less than a year. I'll dump the streaming part in a few weeks (once I finish watching the Battlestar Galactica series). The problem with their streaming service is there's nothing current on it. It's mainly older movies and productions, and even then it's pretty limited. Just not worth the added cost to me.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 08:17 PM 07-12-2011
Got the email today too. Since I haven't streamed anything in months and barely watched the movies I have gotten, I may just drop it all together.
[Reply]
jledou 08:24 PM 07-12-2011
It will be interesting to see if the price increases are related to the bandwidth agreements or the content providers charging more.
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 08:36 PM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by jledou:
It will be interesting to see if the price increases are related to the bandwidth agreements or the content providers charging more.
A lot of these companies get caught up in painting an ever rosier picture to Wall Street in terms of growth and profit, and end up letting their accountants take over. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 05:35 AM 07-13-2011
NEWSFLASH: Greedy CEO runs company to the ground with decision.

First the offer a great service at a great price, put Blockbuster out of business, and run a HUGE membership drive, then raise the prices...:-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
Gargoyle 06:00 AM 07-13-2011
I'll be dropping the streaming as well. Very limited availability and I get more options as part of my free on demand movies with my cable company.
[Reply]
jledou 06:24 AM 07-13-2011
BTW - I do the streaming only as it works great with the limited selection for my 6 year old and the price for it did not increase...yet.
[Reply]
GreekGodX 06:35 AM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
NEWSFLASH: Greedy CEO runs company to the ground with decision.

First the offer a great service at a great price, put Blockbuster out of business, and run a HUGE membership drive, then raise the prices...:-) :-) :-)
They really don't have competition anymore.. Once Blockbuster started closing I had a feeling Netflix would raise their pricing.

However it is understandable considering just for them to expand their digital library they will pay a ton just for licensing.
[Reply]
PeteSB75 06:49 AM 07-13-2011
The email I got said the unlimited streaming was going up to 7.99 a month, with the 2 DVD/Bluray I have currently at 14.99. This does wind up being a $5 increase over what I am paying now. I've been a netflix customer since 2003 and I've no plans to change that now. Their customer service has always been helpful whenever I've had a problem and that is worth the price of entry for a product I use.

I think this is based more on the fact that they are being charged more for the digital streaming rights by the content providers. When they started streaming, they were the only game in town and could dictate prices. Now there are several more (Amazon, Hulu), with additional players getting into the business as well, and the studios feel they can get more money.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 6
1 23 > Last »
Up