Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Zippo inserts and alternatives
Shadow4478 09:18 AM 03-14-2020
So I’m a fan of zippo’s
Personally I don’t taste the fuel if I ever use a original zippo in a pinch
Most of the time I use the zippo dual flame torch inserts made by zippo
Or sometimes the single torch also by zippo. My issue is the amount of run time I get out of one of those guys is enough to light 2 cigars with some touch up’s !
(I do purge and fill them correctly)

I’m now looking at one of the off brand zippo inserts that do torch and soft flame
Has anyone used it or found a reliable torch/soft flame lighter
Doesn’t have to be a zippo or zippo insert.

The idea of the torch was to eliminate the fuel loss and improve wind resistance.
Wind resistance is 100% better, but having to refuel it with butane every 2 cigars brings me back to point zero.

I do use a inner bike tube for the original zippo to cover the seam which prolongs the fuel loss. But since I barely use the original fuel lighter :/ also pointless

Anyone pls come in on anything I mentioned or can contribute.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:52 AM 03-14-2020
I haven't bought an insert for several years...last time I did, it just barely didn't fit right in the Zippo, and therefore the lid didn't close 100%. Turned me off to the whole insert things, now I buy 10 Eagle torches from Amazon or eBay for $19. Some last several months, a couple might only go a couple refills, but I am basically getting 18-24 months of lights for $19. And each fill lasts for a couple dozen cigars at least.

https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Lighter...4201068&sr=8-4

EDIT: Down to $16.82 for 10.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 11:37 AM 03-14-2020
The Z-Plus inserts are great. I've used them just as they are.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 12:31 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
The Z-Plus inserts are great. I've used them just as they are.
I’ve used Zplus’s for a long time. They’re fine within the limitation that their flame is smaller than many torches. This probably helps conserve the fuel in the smaller tank. You can only stuff so much into a zippo case!
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 04:29 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat:
I’ve used Zplus’s for a long time. They’re fine within the limitation that their flame is smaller than many torches. This probably helps conserve the fuel in the smaller tank. You can only stuff so much into a zippo case!
You can take that plastic governor off and turn it up as much as you want. :-)
[Reply]
Brian D. 12:30 PM 03-15-2020
The Z Plus dual flame insert goes through fuel about (Captain Obvious) twice as fast as the single flame model.
[Reply]
Snook 11:40 AM 04-20-2020
I have a soft flame thunderbird insert for my Zippo. I use it for small rg cigars. Cheap torches for all other sticks.
[Reply]
Up