Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 32 of 42
« First < 22303132 3334 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>The Wine Thread
mosesbotbol 11:27 PM 12-03-2014
Originally Posted by Gabe215:
Thank Peter, the good times are coming!! Walk on!!!
How was the Fonseca? I'd imagine it would take 24 hours in decanter to shine.
[Reply]
Gabe215 04:44 AM 12-04-2014
It was very tasty and smooth!! Yea I should've let it sit for longer only let it sit for 2 hours, didn't plan on opening it. Moses when you tell me to decant 6 -24 hours. Am I supposed to use the decanter /aerator I have pictured with a large opening with no lid, or am I supposed to use one with a lid/filter and pour back in the bottle? I'm plan on busting out the '85 vintage during the holidays.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:40 AM 12-04-2014
It was very tasty and smooth!! Yea I should've let it sit for longer only let it sit for 2 hours, didn't plan on opening it. Moses when you tell me to decant 6 -24 hours. Am I supposed to use the decanter /aerator I have pictured with a large opening with no lid, or am I supposed to use one with a lid/filter and pour back in the bottle? I'm plan on busting out the '85 vintage during the holidays.
Two hours is like nothing on the Fonseca.

Well, it depends. With the Fonseca, you could've left it in the decanter with a cloth over the opening to keep flies from going into it for 24 hours.

What I and many do is pour a bottle through cheese cloth into a decanter, rinse the original bottle out with just water and then pour the port back into the bottle. If you did that with Fonseca, 24-48 hours then drink. Always best to take a little sip here and there to see how it evolves.

The '85 (Warres, correct)?, I would leave in the decanter for 6-7 hours and drink or decant back in the bottle the night before. '85 is generally a great vintage, but some producers made junk that year like Croft, Sandeman, and Noval; avoid those. Talyor, Fonseca, Grahams, Dow, Warres, Ramos Pinto, Ferreira, a few others made great stuff that is a good value.

Heck, why pay $80 for a 2011 vintage when you can buy '85 for the same price? Even if you age it another 20-30 years, which one would you want to drink more in 30 years? I'll take the '85. I generally won't buy any VP past 2000; why bother?
[Reply]
Gabe215 02:47 PM 12-13-2014
[IMG]Image[/IMG]
[Reply]
Gabe215 06:19 PM 01-26-2015
Bump were are my winos at?? Image
[Reply]
pnoon 06:24 PM 01-26-2015
I think they were scared off by the enormous pictures.
:-)

[Reply]
Gabe215 08:17 AM 01-27-2015
Sorry that's just how mine post!
[Reply]
pnoon 08:18 AM 01-27-2015
Sorry that's just how mine post!
You can resize them before posting.
[Reply]
Gabe215 08:20 PM 01-28-2015
For being 28 years old I'm not that tech savvy so just deal with my big pics LOL YNWA how bout Diego Costa getting fined for what happened to Emre Can Walk on Perer with your head held up high!!
[Reply]
pnoon 08:43 PM 01-28-2015
For being 28 years old I'm not that tech savvy so just deal with my big pics LOL YNWA how bout Diego Costa getting fined for what happened to Emre Can Walk on Perer with your head held up high!!

One of these days we should Skype Herf and I'll walk you through the process.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 09:24 PM 01-28-2015
Gabe you can also just click the "Go Advanced" button under the text entry box, from there you can add an attachment by clicking manage attachments, it will let you browse your machine, select the picture and upload it in a thumbnail version, people will see it full sized when they click on it... thusly ...
Attached: vtm307-orchidea-wine-glass.jpg (57.3 KB) 
[Reply]
Gabe215 04:57 PM 03-09-2015
No large pictures, just a bump! First warm day of the year here in the Philly Suburbs, went for a walk with an Opus X and Sandeman Founders Reserve
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:00 AM 03-10-2015
No large pictures, just a bump! First warm day of the year here in the Philly Suburbs, went for a walk with an Opus X and Sandeman Founders Reserve
You were walking around with a bottle or glass of port?
[Reply]
jonumberone 06:02 AM 03-10-2015
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
You were walking around with a bottle or glass of port?
He said he's from the Philly Suburbs, so you know he was drinking right out of the bottle. :-)
I've seen Keith do this many times. :-):-)
[Reply]
Gabe215 04:55 PM 03-10-2015
Hahaha not the bottle but yes a glass of Port.
[Reply]
nutcracker 07:14 PM 03-12-2015
A Santa Barbara great. This 2006 Sea Smoke Pinot is a fantastic example of California Pinot if the alcohol level is controlled. Santa Rita Hills can surprise.
Delicious, with wonderful bouquet.

[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:32 AM 03-13-2015
I like the older style Pinot's made in CA. I've had plenty bottles of Beaulieu Vineyard Beaumont Pinot Noir from the 1960's and early 70's that were ringers for Burgundy if served blind. I pick them up whenever I see them. CA's problem is not the grapes, but the wine making techniques. The golden age of Napa, they would mimic France's wine making style and they are still the best wines from CA (compared to today).

The tide is turning though. Wine makers are slowing "de-Parkerizing" their wines and hopefully the selection of classic Pinot Noir will grow.
[Reply]
nutcracker 07:20 AM 03-13-2015
Agreed. The over extractin and big heat have really bothered some Santa Rita wines. . Sea Smoke makes a nice contrast to the norm, seemingly behaving as a cooler climate area.

I'm not sure "Sideways" did us any favors, as everyone started making Pinot - but it's a finicky little berry and not everyone should!
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:28 AM 03-13-2015
Originally Posted by nutcracker:
I'm not sure "Sideways" did us any favors, as everyone started making Pinot - but it's a finicky little berry and not everyone should!
"Sideways" did a lot for me. It made epic older Merlot's from the early 90's and older very affordable. Plenty of excellent older Merlot floating around for great prices...

I just was outbid on some '92 Duckhorn Merlot Mag's for like $50 each. I think my bid was around $45... Kind of pissed I did not chase them, but it's not like I need any more wine...
[Reply]
jjirons69 03:07 PM 03-23-2015
Anybody worried about the recent studies that found arsenic in wine? Will this change your drinking habits?
[Reply]
Page 32 of 42
« First < 22303132 3334 > Last »
Up