Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Edgestar, Avanti, Vinotemp
Giants85 11:31 AM 07-16-2010
Originally Posted by bsmokin:
I think it really comes down to where you live, where you'll keep the humidor, and the ambient temps around there.

If you plan on keeping the fridge plugged in for the cooling, then it sounds like the Vino may be better, since if can maintain a more ideal lower temp (70 degs?).

If you're not going to need the cooling, the Edgestar seems like the way to go...
:-)
From what I've read, I don't believe there is much of an issue with keeping the cigars cooler than 70, I think 60-70 is usually fine. It may be harder to maintain your desired RH at lower temps but if you are using beads this will more than likely not be an issue.

If you feel 60 is too low, you could always look into getting an external temp control. Can probably pick one up between $50 and $75, this will allow you keep the cigars right where you prefer them. But, at that point, the vino may be around the same price?

If you are lucky you can sometimes find the edgestar as an open box item at Compact Appliance for around $100, which is where I got mine.
[Reply]
bsmokin 11:46 AM 07-16-2010
No chasden draws for an igloo :-)

Also, you can't beat the seal on a fridge.

Originally Posted by kydsid:
If you aren't going to need the cooling Igloo is the way to go. :-) :-)

[Reply]
Krish the Fish 10:28 PM 07-17-2010
I actually just ordered an Edgestar last week, based on recommendations from BOTLs that I know personally, who have had no problems with theirs. Got it for 205 shipped, and then since they were backordered and more delays, got 40 more off. 165 shipped seems like a good deal to me... ordered my Chasden trays & shelves for it too, so can't wait to get it, fill it up, and then wait on the drawers lol.
[Reply]
Donny007 11:10 PM 07-17-2010
Ended up ordering the Avanti. Got a good deal at wal-mart.com. Now what??? I want drawers but have to wait to measure the unit. Is the Oasis overkill?? I dont mind spending the $100 if it makes life easier and a stable humidity. I also like the fact that i can add fans and control them right through the oasis unit.. Do u still use beads with Oasis unit?? Thanks again
[Reply]
postjack 07:40 AM 07-18-2010
Originally Posted by Donny007:
Ended up ordering the Avanti. Got a good deal at wal-mart.com. Now what??? I want drawers but have to wait to measure the unit. Is the Oasis overkill?? I dont mind spending the $100 if it makes life easier and a stable humidity. I also like the fact that i can add fans and control them right through the oasis unit.. Do u still use beads with Oasis unit?? Thanks again
I'm curious about the Oasis as well, especially since the amount of beads it takes to control the RH in my Edgestar approaches the price of an Oasis anyway.
[Reply]
Donny007 08:22 AM 07-18-2010
Originally Posted by postjack:
I'm curious about the Oasis as well, especially since the amount of beads it takes to control the RH in my Edgestar approaches the price of an Oasis anyway.
Didnt even think of that!!! Good point
[Reply]
mcmoyer 08:23 AM 07-18-2010
I have an Avanti (28) with 1lb of Shilala beads...it runs 65-65 without a hitch. Waiting on some Chasden goodies for it.

:-)
[Reply]
Ogre 08:28 AM 07-18-2010
I have an Avanti 34 bottle. For Temp control I am using this:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...ontroller.html
Works well, and you can adjust the temp range. I ran the temp probe up the drain hole, taped it to the back wall of the cooler than sealed the hole. Tested it right after set up, it cycled about once an hour and i live in the Florida heat and it was in a back room with allot of windows.
[Reply]
Ogre 08:30 AM 07-18-2010
The cooler was also empty at the time, will be better when I get the Drawers and stock them. It will be an awesome set up. Also, I got my cooler off of craigs list for $60, the deals are out there.
[Reply]
big a 11:44 AM 07-18-2010
I got my Vino off craigslist for $150 and love it. If you dont mind it used you could try looking there for one local.
[Reply]
Brutus2600 12:15 PM 07-18-2010
Originally Posted by Ogre3239:
I have an Avanti 34 bottle. For Temp control I am using this:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...ontroller.html
Works well, and you can adjust the temp range. I ran the temp probe up the drain hole, taped it to the back wall of the cooler than sealed the hole. Tested it right after set up, it cycled about once an hour and i live in the Florida heat and it was in a back room with allot of windows.
The highest my cooler will go is 64F. I'd prefer to keep it at 70F, but I don't know if I could justify spending $80 for a 6 degree difference. How big of a difference would those few degrees make?
[Reply]
klipsch 01:42 PM 07-18-2010
I've had my EdgeStar for a year now...no issues. Can't see spending more money for something that does the exact same thing. From what I've read, the higher price certainly doesn't appear to be for exemplary customer service if there's a problem.
[Reply]
Ogre 02:03 PM 07-18-2010
Originally Posted by Brutus2600:
The highest my cooler will go is 64F. I'd prefer to keep it at 70F, but I don't know if I could justify spending $80 for a 6 degree difference. How big of a difference would those few degrees make?
I believe its personal preference. A slightly lower temp I believe would be ok as long as Rh was maintained. I deal with the FL heat so I do what I can to control both. I am sure you will get as many answers as there are members here. Good luck with your setup.
[Reply]
thebayratt 05:52 PM 07-18-2010
I have a Vino.
The only "issue" I have with it is if you loose power, when it gets back on the Vino resets to like 57degrees. If you don't catch it.
I am not sure if the others do that.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up