Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 25
< 123 4513 > Last »
General Discussion>New Hobby: Bee Keeping
AdamJoshua 08:07 AM 03-06-2017
Just curious how to they ship the bees, I'm guessing it's not a big UPS box or anything, or hell maybe it is?
[Reply]
massphatness 09:26 AM 03-06-2017
The bees are shipped in a small wooden box wrapped in fine wire mesh to allow for airflow. The queen is in her own separate "queen cage" in the larger box that keeps her separate from the other bees, but allow them to smell her and acclimate themselves to her because she doesn't start out as their genetic queen.

The package of bees originates from a bee farm in GA and is transported up to New England by a local beekeeper who then distributes them here. Because the bees are sensitive to temperature, he has a special trailer he uses to keep the bees in the Goldilocks zone: neither too hot nor too cold.
[Reply]
T.G 09:28 AM 03-06-2017
Originally Posted by massphatness:
The bees are shipped in a small wooden box wrapped in fine wire mesh to allow for airflow. The queen is in her own separate "queen cage" in the larger box that keeps her separate from the other bees, but allow them to smell her and acclimate themselves to her because she doesn't start out as their genetic queen.

The package of bees originates from a bee farm in GA and is transported up to New England by a local beekeeper who then distributes them here. Because the bees are sensitive to temperature, he has a special trailer he uses to keep the bees in the Goldilocks zone: neither too hot nor too cold.
I'll bee dammed. That's pretty cool.
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:06 AM 03-06-2017
Do bees do ok with cigar smoke?
[Reply]
icehog3 10:09 AM 03-06-2017
I wish I was a bee.
[Reply]
T.G 10:48 AM 03-06-2017
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Do bees do ok with cigar smoke?
I hear that beech wood smoke makes them drowsy.

(actually serious here)
[Reply]
shilala 07:00 PM 03-06-2017
Bees kick ass.
I have a ton of books, and had a mess of hives when the kids were little.
I never did dump bees in them, I was all about swarm gathering and had limited time to hunt bees with the farm and all.
I finally finished fixing all the bodies and frames and top and ended up gioving them all away to old man Hanzely.
A week later, I had an enormous swarm hanging in the oak tree at the corner of the yard, which was about 20 yards from where the hives had sat.
If I can help Vin, just holler.
It's still something I'm going to do, but as you can imagine, I have ideas for a "different" hive. :-)
[Reply]
Flynnster 07:22 PM 03-06-2017
Not sure how I missed this, but I've been researching getting into beekeeping heavily once I move into my next place.

What sort of hive are you going for? Starting with a langstroth it looks like.
[Reply]
massphatness 07:22 AM 03-07-2017
Originally Posted by Flynnster:
What sort of hive are you going for? Starting with a langstroth it looks like.
Yup - going with a 10-frame Langstroth. The hive I bought came with the two deep boxes and two honey supers plus some basic starter equipment: smoker, hive tools, veil & gloves. (I look super cute in the veil.:-))

Cannot recommend the bee school thing strongly enough. Lots of people in the class who tried their hand at beekeeping by reading/watching youtube videos, etc. Many of them have been struggling to maintain healthy hives or successfully overwinter them. Learning direct from someone who's been doing this for a couple decades brings life to all the book learning and online reading I've been doing.
[Reply]
massphatness 07:22 AM 03-14-2017
Finally got the hive painted ... now with the two feet of snow we're getting today, I'm worried my yard is still going to buried come bee delivery day: April 10

[Reply]
AdamJoshua 07:40 AM 03-14-2017
Awesome. Hope you get a good thaw in and some Indian summer temps.
[Reply]
stevieray 07:48 AM 03-14-2017
This is pretty cool. Looking forward to following your progress.....from a safe distance. :-)
[Reply]
BigAsh 09:46 AM 03-14-2017
Yea yea, the hive is nice...BUT:

This thread is worthless without a picture of you in the "Bee-Suit"...:-)
[Reply]
icehog3 09:46 AM 03-14-2017
Originally Posted by BigAsh:

:-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 11:48 AM 03-14-2017

Here's the entire hive!

[Reply]
bonjing 12:40 PM 03-14-2017

And singing,

I'm bringing home my baby bumble bee. . .
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 04:18 PM 03-17-2017
For future reference, the wax is really useful stuff!

http://www.rachelssupply.com/bwax.htm
[Reply]
massphatness 03:06 PM 03-26-2017
Wrapped up the last week of bee school with a hive opening at the instructor's apiary.

Temps were cool and the bees were docile though two did manage to find their way into the fleece I was wearing. One decided to initiate me into what a honey bee sting feels like (not bad, really - at all) while the other walked around my shoulder while I gently removed the fleece. She flew off with neither of us worse for the experience.

Here's a shot of the hive opening

A frame of bees tightly clustered for warmth

Me assisting with one of the outer frames (way fewer bees)

My girls arrive April 10 -- will be interesting
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 03:32 PM 03-26-2017
anyone else itching and feeling things crawl on them looking at those pics... or it might just be something on this couch :-)

I i was looking at those "automatic" hives, with the cells pre-made and you just turn the tap and honey comes out ... seems like that's more my speed, ok to be honest the little squeeze bear of honey is more my speed.

Again, best of luck!
[Reply]
markem 06:36 PM 03-26-2017
I think that last pic is "I wonder if I can get away with shoving my face down there and waiting my fill?". To which I reply, "you never know until you try." :-)
[Reply]
Page 3 of 25
< 123 4513 > Last »
Up