Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>First Ghetto Coolidor Questions.
DEZn00ts 04:24 PM 05-11-2018
OK I have this old dusty ass cooler and need a place for the cigars I just splurged on. Don't really have any money to buy anything to make it one right now. What can I use in my house for humidity and control of that humidity? The cooler is 18x10x11 and I'm hoping to have some stuff around the house that I can use. I have a few clean sponges lol.
[Reply]
icehog3 04:30 PM 05-11-2018
If the cooler has a good seal, that's a good start. There's always Tupperware if it doesn't.

For humidification, I'd say get some humidity beads. Sponges are a bad idea, and can lead to mold on your smokes.
[Reply]
DEZn00ts 04:32 PM 05-11-2018
Originally Posted by icehog3:
If the cooler has a good seal, that's a good start. There's always Tupperware if it doesn't.

For humidification, I'd say get some humidity beads. Sponges are a bad idea, and can lead to mold on your smokes.
Damn... So is there anything I can use temporarily for a week or two for the humidity? I was thinking about getting some cat liter instead of beads, is that a good substitute?
[Reply]
hammondc 04:36 PM 05-11-2018
Originally Posted by DEZn00ts:
Damn... So is there anything I can use temporarily for a week or two for the humidity? I was thinking about getting some cat liter instead of beads, is that a good substitute?
Get the beads.
[Reply]
DEZn00ts 04:41 PM 05-11-2018
Originally Posted by hammondc:
Get the beads.
is there a cheap place to buy them? I only need a half a pound, right?
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 04:51 PM 05-11-2018
http://www.cigarbeads.com

You can also buy Boveda packs until you get beads.
[Reply]
hammondc 04:51 PM 05-11-2018
I get my from heartfelt.

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com

i THINK there is someone on here that sells them too.
[Reply]
hammondc 04:52 PM 05-11-2018
They last a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time, so its a good investment
[Reply]
DEZn00ts 04:55 PM 05-11-2018
Originally Posted by hammondc:
They last a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time, so its a good investment
Well for what they do it's pretty cheap! Thanks!
[Reply]
dijit 04:54 AM 05-12-2018
A sponge is only good to condition a new humidor. Beyond that a boveda pack will work great in that size cooler and its a cheap alternative to beads. Coolers and tupperware are good alternatives to low and mid range humidors. Just remember to open them every now and again to circulate the air a little.
[Reply]
DEZn00ts 09:28 AM 05-12-2018
Originally Posted by dijit:
A sponge is only good to condition a new humidor. Beyond that a boveda pack will work great in that size cooler and its a cheap alternative to beads. Coolers and tupperware are good alternatives to low and mid range humidors. Just remember to open them every now and again to circulate the air a little.
Yea that was another thing I forgot to ask about... Air circulation. Thanks man i appreciate the help!
[Reply]
hwgoesit 03:28 PM 05-12-2018
Temporarily use Bovida packs
[Reply]
Beklage 02:04 PM 05-17-2018
Originally Posted by hwgoesit:
Temporarily use Bovida packs
That’s what I did and it worked great
[Reply]
Up