Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
General Discussion>Ninja Rant - Advise me, or be ninja'd
ninjavanish 06:56 PM 09-01-2011
I felt compelled to make a thread here and just try to garner a little advice.

So I'll go ahead and cut to the chase, I have a LOT of pride in what I do. I work hard. I bust my ass. I sacrifice time and money and sometimes my own well-being to get the job done. I also know that many of my colleagues do the same.

So here's the advice, or feedback I'm hoping to gain from you guys (and gals)

What would you do if people just automatically assumed that what you did was just garbage? Without giving you a fair chance... and not necessarily just you personally but what you do and what you make.

Would you try to take those people on? Or would you just chalk it up to people being idiots and close minded buffoons?

The pride in me says, HELL YES TAKE THEM ON... YOU KNOW BETTER and they need to learn not to be so insensitive and open their minds. But the "cooler heads prevail" part of me says "Just be calm and all will work itself out".

What do you think?
[Reply]
Ogre 06:58 PM 09-01-2011
Try to educated them to the truth. If that doesnt work, them beat them down!!!!
[Reply]
chand 07:02 PM 09-01-2011
I think 'haters gonna hate' applies here.
[Reply]
T.G 07:03 PM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by ninjavanish:
I felt compelled to make a thread here and just try to garner a little advice.

So I'll go ahead and cut to the chase, I have a LOT of pride in what I do. I work hard. I bust my ass. I sacrifice time and money and sometimes my own well-being to get the job done. I also know that many of my colleagues do the same.

So here's the advice, or feedback I'm hoping to gain from you guys (and gals)

What would you do if people just automatically assumed that what you did was just garbage? Without giving you a fair chance... and not necessarily just you personally but what you do and what you make.

Would you try to take those people on? Or would you just chalk it up to people being idiots and close minded buffoons?

The pride in me says, HELL YES TAKE THEM ON... YOU KNOW BETTER and they need to learn not to be so insensitive and open their minds. But the "cooler heads prevail" part of me says "Just be calm and all will work itself out".

What do you think?
If they are making that many assumptions already and are that vocal, their minds are probably made up and arguing with them is only going to make both of you look like retards, rather than just them.

Especially if it's online. In person, you might have a small chance, but online, eh, forget it.
[Reply]
Drez 07:04 PM 09-01-2011
Don't get to flustered about people. Let dumb people be. As long as you take pride in what you do and you are happy that is all that matters. Remember opinions are like @ssholes, everybody has one.

Like Larry said you can try to educate them and if need be then beat them down!!! Just keep a cool level head and remember that as long as you are happy then that's all that matters brother!!!!
[Reply]
68TriShield 07:05 PM 09-01-2011
That depends on who "they" are.
[Reply]
maninblack 07:16 PM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by Ogre:
Try to educated them to the truth. If that doesnt work, them beat them down!!!!
What Larry said. As I see it, if you're comfortable with yourself and what you do and the product you help create, to hell with them. Most of us here know you're a great guy and make great products. Like they said, haters gonna hate.
[Reply]
Coach Deg 07:19 PM 09-01-2011
There is a lot of ifs here. If the people are potential customers you have to try to educate like Larry said.

If the people are bosses you have to educate, and ask for constructive feedback( even if you disagree).

If the people are co workers educate on your way and look at their way.

If the people are any other then the above mentioned Screw'em!!!! Some people just aren't worth getting upset over. If you let people that dont matter give you too much stress it can affect your relationships with the ones that do.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 07:21 PM 09-01-2011
Why would I care?
[Reply]
gbum 07:22 PM 09-01-2011
dont fight with the idiots,they will beat you down with their expertise and experience:-)
[Reply]
mariogolbee 07:23 PM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by 68TriShield:
That depends on who "they" are.
+1

It also depends on what you mean by "what you make" and "what you do." I'm assuming you mean career by the latter, but it could be that someone thinks you are peddling whatever and you think differently. I'm not sure if "what you make" is salary, product, or little meat pies for your aunt Gretchen.

Whatever the case, the act of stepping back like this to reflect on the situation will give you some insight all on it's own. Well done for that, at least.
[Reply]
Skywalker 07:24 PM 09-01-2011
Actually, I thought about this today, even before I read this thread! Because I got my yearly review today!

I get this a lot in my profession! But I live with the satisfaction that I know "what I do" and I know "what I make", and a handful of people in my profession actually appreciate me and know I am one of the best at what I do.

[Reply]
kelmac07 08:07 PM 09-01-2011
I can be a hard head at times...I'd normally confront them and find the root of the morons major malfunction...but I've long given up on trying to impress those insignificant to me. As long as you are able to sleep well at night knowing that you did your best...chalk it up and move on brother...be the bigger person. :-)
[Reply]
lyle23 08:31 PM 09-01-2011
Idiots are idiots. Continue to make yourself happy brother, and hopefully the people who actually do matter at work see and appreciate what you do. If you are happy with what you do, continue to do it, and do it well. Who cares what "they" think. Remind yourself that "they" are morons. Hope this helps and all works out Jeremy.
[Reply]
ninjavanish 08:38 PM 09-01-2011
Thanks for the advice all. I think I've found what I was looking for... just some relevant semi-unbiased opinions about life and the pursuit of happiness.

I really tend to lean more towards the "cooler head prevail" side of things. Of course this doesn't mean I don't have passion (And a LOT of it) for what I do. But in my meager experience, I've found that when you're right, you don't even have to say anything.

And I know I'm right, so that's the end of it then really.

I appreciate all the cheers and jeers. Hehe, now for all you who didn't offer advice, you could be next in the ninja's sights. Watch yourselves!
[Reply]
loki 08:45 PM 09-01-2011
how is this cigar related
[Reply]
pektel 08:47 PM 09-01-2011
Forget that isht about being in your sights! I was busy making a pot of (hopefully) badass chili.

Here's my experience: if I disagree with someone, they have about two minutes to change my mind. And vice versa. If you can't change my view in two minutes, anything afterwards is just wasting both of our times.

So that's my input. If YOU know you are right, that's good enough. If they don't agree... F*ck 'em!
[Reply]
ninjavanish 08:49 PM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by loki:
how is this cigar related
Keep asking questions like that and you may soon find out! :P
[Reply]
Ogre 08:52 PM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by ninjavanish:
Keep asking questions like that and you may soon find out! :P
It must be bad if you keep throwing out threats like that!:-):-)
[Reply]
mariogolbee 08:54 PM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by Ogre:
It must be bad if you keep throwing out threats like that!:-):-)
Jeremy is very unfair when he plays. He can be scary...
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up