Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>CAO GOLD Maduro Robusto
Dano 06:20 PM 10-19-2008
I may have needed to let this smoke age a little first but after only a week in the humidor I wanted to try it out so here goes:

It is the CAO Gold Maduro. I liked the looks of it. Dark, firm and a little oily looking. The pre-lite smell was woodsy and it looked like it was a good made cigar.

The first third was ok for the most part and never harsh. It burned even and the taste even with the first few, puffs :-), had good flavor; a bit spicy but like I said never to over powering.

The thing I noticed though was it never really changed except maybe it got a bit less spicy in the middle but the flavor really didn't wander about. It stayed spicy and woodsy, or maybe nutty

The ash was silver grey and held firm and the smoke itself was full and but not as creamy feeling on the tongue as some I have had.

One thing I noticed was a little tear in the wrapper towards the cap end and it seemed to get very hot towards the end as well. I also noticed that slow draws were much more easy to snork and more pleasurable than deep heavy , puffs :-)

All in all Id like to try it again after a bit more time in the humidor as I think it had the potential of really being a good smoke. The taste was not remarkable, but it was not harsh either. Spicy and nutty, yes but it just didnt change that much throughout the entire smoke.

-Dan
[Reply]
elderboy02 08:23 PM 10-19-2008
Thanks for the review! I have been meaning to try one of those. I am going to pick one up on my next trip to the B&M
[Reply]
TMoneYNYY 08:32 PM 10-19-2008
Thanks for the review, brotha!!!!!!! The Gold Maduro has always been a great stick (to me, at least!) since it's introduction to the market. It's full of flavor and not too much spice. I've never had any construction flaws, so it'll stay ranked high in my book until I get a bad one! Definitely give it another shot.
[Reply]
Coz77 06:14 AM 10-20-2008
Nice review Dan....welcome to the asylum
[Reply]
BlackIrish 07:55 AM 10-20-2008
Thanks for the nice review, Dano. I've never been a big fan of the CAO Gold -- a buddy of mine is, but I find them boring -- but I do love my maduros, and I may need to give this one a shot.

BlackIrish
[Reply]
Dano 09:34 AM 10-25-2008
IMO...the Maduro was definitely better than the gold. I never thought about the taste being blahh, but you hit it right on, the Gold was *blahhh*

My next one to try will be the CAO Brazilia (sp)?

-Dan
[Reply]
Don Fernando 10:45 AM 10-25-2008
I smoked a gold once and didn't like it at all. But CAO has never impressed me.
[Reply]
Waynegro1 02:25 PM 10-25-2008
Thanks for the review. CAO GOld Maduro is one of my everyday smokes. Especially with my morning coffee.
[Reply]
Scottw 02:46 PM 10-25-2008
Hey Stranger,I always like your posts and pics.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 03:19 PM 10-25-2008
nice review, and good lookin stick:-)
[Reply]
BirdDok 06:30 PM 10-25-2008
Ditto on the Gold... blahhh.
Brazilia... now we're talking!

Originally Posted by Dano:
IMO...the Maduro was definitely better than the gold. I never thought about the taste being blahh, but you hit it right on, the Gold was *blahhh*

My next one to try will be the CAO Brazilia (sp)?

-Dan

[Reply]
Up