Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>Recommend some cigars to me
Sonic04GT 01:10 PM 10-05-2011
I am new to cigars and want to sample some of the more popular brands that aren't too expensive. I have had an LHC, which I didn't really care for (first cigar in years though), a Punch which was pretty good, and the Kuba Kuba which I really liked.

I have a $40 voucher for StogieBoys and looking to maybe get a sampler or 2 within that price range but there's so many choices. I want the Acid Sampler Tin but I think I have enough infused for now, although I seem to enjoy those more.

http://www.stogieboys.com/

Samplers link:
http://www.stogieboys.com/sampler-specials

Specific links are preferred but feel free to recommend singles that maybe I can piece together. Probably pick up a cigar punch as well as I've seen disastrous results using a guillotine on some cigars, like the Drew Estate Java.

Here is my current collection:

Cohiba Red Dot
Hoyo Excalibur Epicure
La Gloria Cubana Serie R
Macanudo Hyde Park
Partagas Cifuentes
Punch Pita
Cu-Avana Intenso
LHC Oscuro Fuerte
La Estrella Cub. ’R’
5 Vegas Classic
Gurkha Park Avenue

Infused:
CI Legends - Drew Estate
Acid Kuba Kuba
Acid Liquid
ACID Blondie Belicoso
Erin Go Bragh Irish Whiskey
CAO Moontrance
CAO Eileen’s Dream
Natural by Drew Estate Dirt Torpedo
Natural Ltd. by Drew Estate Pimp Stick
Tabak Especial Red Eye
Tabak Especial Café con Leche
Tabak Especial Toro Negra Maduro
Java Toro Maduro
Tatiana Mocha Stobona Dark Natural

What might a noob enjoy? I have not tried any of the above yet. They should be settled and about ready to smoke :-) Probably light one up tonight. Choices choices.
[Reply]
maninblack 01:15 PM 10-05-2011
How about buying a sampler. More bang for your buck and you get to try different smokes out. Do you like Maduro's and/or Oscura wrappers?
[Reply]
Sonic04GT 01:17 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by maninblack:
How about buying a sampler. More bang for your buck and you get to try different smokes out. Do you like Maduro's and/or Oscura wrappers?
That's the idea. I'll be buying samplers for years.

I have not tried those yet. I'm open to anything. Flavors aren't very distinct to me just yet.

Which one on my list should I smoke tonight? Here is the majority, minus the 5 Vegas and Gurkha. Disregard the red lines.

That toro is the Cu-Avana.
[Reply]
irratebass 01:17 PM 10-05-2011
Check my sig
[Reply]
Sonic04GT 01:25 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by irratebass:
Check my sig
Thanks but I'm not really looking for a cheap daily smoke. I want somewhat premium cigars that I may enjoy in the long run, and have to be from StogieBoys.
[Reply]
irratebass 01:28 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by Sonic04GT:
That's the idea. I'll be buying samplers for years.

I have not tried those yet. I'm open to anything. Flavors aren't very distinct to me just yet.

Which one on my list should I smoke tonight? Here is the majority, minus the 5 Vegas and Gurkha. Disregard the red lines.

That toro is the Cu-Avana.
I say smoke # 3 because I haven't had one yet and review it for me :-)
[Reply]
Sonic04GT 01:29 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by irratebass:
I say smoke # 3 because I haven't had one yet and review it for me :-)
Haha my review would consist of nothing more than a thumbs up or thumbs down! I'm too new to pin point any specific flavors and such.
[Reply]
tsolomon 01:30 PM 10-05-2011
If I had to pick a sampler from their site it would be this one. :-)
Oliva Serie V Sampler Box
http://www.stogieboys.com/5-packs/ol...-v-sampler-box
[Reply]
Sonic04GT 01:32 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by tsolomon:
If I had to pick a sampler from their site it would be this one. :-)
Oliva Serie V Sampler Box
http://www.stogieboys.com/5-packs/ol...-v-sampler-box
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. Unfortunately I don't see many multi-brand samplers.

Maybe I should smoke a few first! I'm running out of room with 33 cigars in my 50ct.

[Reply]
Blak Smyth 01:34 PM 10-05-2011
I vote smoke the LGC as well, looks tasty!
I agree about picking up the Oliva V pack.
[Reply]
ktblunden 01:35 PM 10-05-2011
Out of what you have I really like the LGC Serie R. The Cohiba Red Dot is a pretty good cigar, though way overpriced. The rest I either haven't tried or found to be sub-par.

Look into the stuff by Oliva: Serie G (low priced, good bang-for-your-buck) & Serie V (higher priced, well worth it), the Nub series is a great way to see the differences between different kinds of wrapper leaves, & the Cain series (be careful with these, there's a lot of nicotine in them). In the 5 Vegas line the Gold Maduros, Series A, and Miami are nice sticks. Arturo Fuente's Chateau line are excellent.

From that pic it looks like your guillotine is a little dull. You might look at the Cuban Crafters Perfect Cutter. It's really cheap and cuts really well. They can be had for about $9 shipped on ebay from time to time.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 01:36 PM 10-05-2011
Punch with Cameroon wrapper, A. Fuente Don Carlos, and Davidoff are on the top of my non-Cuban cigar lists.
[Reply]
lbowles2 01:36 PM 10-05-2011
I would do the 4th of July sampler and the AJ Fernandez 5 star sampler. Right around $40. AJ Fernandez blends a very nice smoke.
[Reply]
SteelCityBoy 01:38 PM 10-05-2011
I second the notion from Shane! I smoked the La Gloria Cubana a little while back...careful though...it can pack a punch! Great smoke!
[Reply]
DaBear 01:41 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by Sonic04GT:
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. Unfortunately I don't see many multi-brand samplers.

Maybe I should smoke a few first! I'm running out of room with 33 cigars in my 50ct.

First things first, make yourself a tupperdor to hold your non infused sticks for the time being so you don't have any of the infused smokes' flavors running into traditional cigars. You'll want separate humidors for infused/flavored smokes and traditional cigars.

And personally, I'd smoke the LGC Serie R, but thats because I love any good earthy sticks, especially ones with a good sweetness to them like the Serie R.

Oh, and samplers definitely, try to get a good smattering of the tried and trues(Fuente, Padron, Pepin, Rocky Patel, Oliva, etc.) and narrow down what you like best. Then start trying some of the more "boutique" blends out there based on your tastes.
[Reply]
Sonic04GT 01:43 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by ktblunden:
Out of what you have I really like the LGC Serie R. The Cohiba Red Dot is a pretty good cigar, though way overpriced. The rest I either haven't tried or found to be sub-par.

Look into the stuff by Oliva: Serie G (low priced, good bang-for-your-buck) & Serie V (higher priced, well worth it), the Nub series is a great way to see the differences between different kinds of wrapper leaves, & the Cain series (be careful with these, there's a lot of nicotine in them). In the 5 Vegas line the Gold Maduros, Series A, and Miami are nice sticks. Arturo Fuente's Chateau line are excellent.

From that pic it looks like your guillotine is a little dull. You might look at the Cuban Crafters Perfect Cutter. It's really cheap and cuts really well. They can be had for about $9 shipped on ebay from time to time.
Thanks for all the recommendations. I've been wanting to try some 5 Vegas' but I don't really see any samplers on the site.

I did not make that cut. Found it online. I have a Cuban Crafters Perfect Cutter, the resin/plastic one. Seems to work well.

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. I did not know that about humidors. Maybe I should use that $40 towards another similar size/small humidor instead of more smokes?

Is it really that noticeable, even if not in contact?
[Reply]
ktblunden 01:43 PM 10-05-2011
Looking at the samplers SB has, I would personally probably go with the Oliva V. For a novice I might go with one of the Nub samplers or CAO to get a little more variety.
[Reply]
DaBear 01:43 PM 10-05-2011
Oh, and to make due with your guillotine, lightly press down on the head of the cigar as you're about to cut it, and spin the cigar around 180-360 degress(depending on if its a single or double blade). That should take care of your problem with the split caps. It just precuts the cap so you don't crush it and then you can go to town on the binder/filler as they are much more durable leaves.
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 01:45 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by DaBear:
First things first, make yourself a tupperdor to hold your non infused sticks for the time being so you don't have any of the infused smokes' flavors running into traditional cigars. You'll want separate humidors for infused/flavored smokes and traditional cigars.

And personally, I'd smoke the LGC Serie R, but thats because I love any good earthy sticks, especially ones with a good sweetness to them like the Serie R.

Oh, and samplers definitely, try to get a good smattering of the tried and trues(Fuente, Padron, Pepin, Rocky Patel, Oliva, etc.) and narrow down what you like best. Then start trying some of the more "boutique" blends out there based on your tastes.
:-) I thought the same things while reading this thread, also check out the Newbie Sampler Trade, its a great way to get your hands on a nice variety of smokes
[Reply]
icehog3 02:03 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by DaBear:
Yup. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up