Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 6 of 8
« First < 456 78 >
Sports>Bcs - wtf 2011
rizzle 10:31 AM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by 357:
First, it's not impossible. See below. Plus, the end results doesn't matter. The debate is who should play who, not who won in the end.
Mike, I hate to point it out to you, but you just proved my point. See below as a cut and past of what you posted.

Originally Posted by :
The last week of the regular season was dynamic for the national championship race. Third-ranked Michigan remained idle. Fourth-ranked Florida faced No. 9 Arkansas in the SEC Championship, while No. 2 USC faced unranked, in-city rival UCLA. Both Florida and Michigan cheered as USC fell to UCLA 13–9. Florida defeated Arkansas to claim the 2006 SEC Championship Title. USC's loss knocked them out of contention, leaving No. 3 Michigan and No. 4 Florida as the most likely teams to earn the No. 2 ranking and face Ohio State for the BCS National Championship. The final BCS poll passed Florida over Michigan to take the No. 2 spot while Michigan remained unchanged at No. 3, with .0101 points separating the two teams. This small difference was a result of the human polls (the Coaches Poll and Harris Interactive Poll) ranking Florida above Michigan while the computer polls had the two teams tied for second.
1 played 2 for the championship game. Always.

Originally Posted by :
Clearly the theory that "voters" feel that a team who failed to win their own conference should be excluded from playing in a national title game is BUNK. They forgot to exclude non-conference winning 1-loss SEC teams. :-)

My point is a rematch reeks of an SEC bias. The Big-10 didn't get that chance in 2006. Why should the SEC get it now? Overall my point is pretty well summed up by E.J.

Nobody in their right mind thought Boise State could be Oklahoma in 2007 but it happened. Alabama had their chance to beat LSU. Time for someone else to get a chance. LSU-Alabama was settled on the field. NEXT!
And that's what makes college ball so great, ain't it? We still owe y'all for the 2000 Orange Bowl, by the way. See you in Dallas next September. :-)
[Reply]
E.J. 10:35 AM 12-06-2011
^^^...and the loser of that BIG10 Championship game....what BCS game are they going to?
[Reply]
OLS 10:40 AM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by rizzle:
Oh, I still think we have the better team. Don't you? :-)
I realize this is bravado mixed with sarcasm, but no, not a bit. Until you can come into my house and
make a field goal to win a game, and not have your misses be just blind bad luck, but consistent failure,
there is no way bama is better. Saban is not the only person in the football world who knew going in
it was likely he was going to have to make a lot of field goals. LSU is not sisters of the poor.
And yet he consistently forced his kicker to take these wildly out-of-range shots at the uprights.
So maybe we even have a better COACH than you guys. You guys had THE Trent Richardson, you should
have GONE FOR IT on 4th down.

:-) you are deluded, hoss, lol.
[Reply]
longknocker 11:24 AM 12-06-2011
I Think Most People Think Saban Has Been A Better Coach Than Miles Over Their Lifetimes, Brad.:-) I Will Admit You Have Better Special Teams, But I Feel We Have A Better Offense & Defense. We'll See How It Plays Out Jan.9th In The "Neutral" (What A Joke! :-)) Site Of New Orleans!:-)
[Reply]
OLS 11:36 AM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by longknocker:
I Think Most People Think Saban Has Been A Better Coach Than Miles Over Their Lifetimes, Brad.:-) I Will Admit You Have Better Special Teams, But I Feel We Have A Better Offense & Defense. We'll See How It Plays Out Jan.9th In The "Neutral" (What A Joke! :-)) Site Of New Orleans!:-)
AND there it is..., lol. I was WAITING so long for someone to say that. haha
A.) We can't control the venue for the NCG. We have coincidentally been crowned champ in every year we
played in the dome for all the marbles. That is true.
B.) You ain't Boise St.....you are only driving to New Orleans. You will have access to as many tickets
as we do. I don't need to remind you the argument I got into over the pitiful tickets we got for the
Bama-LSU matchup in T-town. I was schooled on that one, though.
C.) New Orleans is not Baton Rouge by a long shot, in any way, except the state it's in and the fact
that there are some cajuns there. There are cajuns in Tuscaloosa. 90-minutes for us, about double
that for you.

haha, OK, got that out of my system. On to Saban - Miles. I think without researching that Miles has a
much better winning percentage over his tenure at LSU than Nickie did, and I think it is also better than
Nickie's at Bama. THINK. But what an excellent point....RESEARCH, here I go, lol.
[Reply]
rizzle 11:40 AM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by E.J.:
I think I understand, I am just having discussion, attempting to show another side. People don't have to agree, but there is no doubt that it has to have them think. It is why I have qualified many times that I really feel there are many here that have an inability to look at this objectivly.

So who goes to the Rose Bowl, the conference champion? Not that it matters, just making a point...:-):-):
:-)

Who cares for $100, Alex? :-):-)
[Reply]
longknocker 11:41 AM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by OLS:
AND there it is..., lol. I was WAITING so long for someone to say that. haha
A.) We can't control the venue for the NCG. We have coincidentally been crowned champ in every year we
played in the dome for all the marbles. That is true.
B.) You ain't Boise St.....you are only driving to New Orleans. You will have access to as many tickets
as we do. I don't need to remind you the argument I got into over the pitiful tickets we got for the
Bama-LSU matchup in T-town. I was schooled on that one, though.
C.) New Orleans is not Baton Rouge by a long shot, in any way, except the state it's in and the fact
that there are some cajuns there. There are cajuns in Tuscaloosa. 90-minutes for us, about double
that for you.
haha, OK, got that out of my system. On to Saban - Miles. I think without researching that Miles has a
much better winning percentage over his tenure at LSU than Nickie did, and I think it is also better than
Nickie's at Bama. THINK. But what an excellent point....RESEARCH, here I go, lol.

Go For It!:-) Look At Coaching Records Over Their Entire Careers, Brad!:-)
[Reply]
357 11:41 AM 12-06-2011
Mike, I hate to point it out to you, but you just proved my point. See below as a cut and past of what you posted.

1 played 2 for the championship game. Always.

And that's what makes college ball so great, ain't it? We still owe y'all for the 2000 Orange Bowl, by the way. See you in Dallas next September. :-)
Problem is the system is garbage so they had to "massage" the final rankings to avoid a rematch in the final. Strangely this time they won't message the rankings and are willing to let the SEC have a rematch. No rematch for the Big10, but the SEC gets one. Hmmmm.

The system is flawed, but they made the right move last time by tweaking the rankings to avoid a rematch. This year their SEC bias is preventing them from doing what is right.
[Reply]
rizzle 11:47 AM 12-06-2011
I realize this is bravado mixed with sarcasm, but no, not a bit. Until you can come into my house and
make a field goal to win a game, and not have your misses be just blind bad luck, but consistent failure,
there is no way bama is better. Saban is not the only person in the football world who knew going in
it was likely he was going to have to make a lot of field goals. LSU is not sisters of the poor.
And yet he consistently forced his kicker to take these wildly out-of-range shots at the uprights.
So maybe we even have a better COACH than you guys. You guys had THE Trent Richardson, you should
have GONE FOR IT on 4th down.

:-) you are deluded, hoss, lol.
But, but, but...Les Miles wears a dumb looking hat and eats grass, hoss. We'll be in your house shortly and we'll see what happens. Should be another good game.
[Reply]
OLS 11:54 AM 12-06-2011
"Miles goes into the 2011 season with a record at LSU of 62-17, including a 33-15 mark in SEC regular season games.
Miles is the fastest coach in LSU history to reach milestone victories of 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 games. "

That quote alone precludes Saban from having been that record-holder, so even though I think it is currently
a small diffrential, I believe that Miles is better all around in LSU records and likely had a better record than Saban for
what, "first 4 years at the school" type records. Of course, Saban got to bama in somewhat of a disarray and
Saban left miles a full cupboard. That affected their first year's totals a good bit. But the statement Les can only
win with Saban's recruits has been roundly proven illegitimate as you can very well see. He is about to win his
second Nat. Champ. if you don't mind me saying so. But I have to state for the record in this thread what I have
ALWAYS said, I am not someone who blames Saban for leaving. his average "years at school" is a measly 2.5
over his career. There were some doofus fans that had to throw up a sign that denigrated him on his
return to BR some years back, but Miles is and has been a fan favorite that never gives us any reason to look
back at Saban and think, "if only we had nick saban..."
[Reply]
OLS 12:00 PM 12-06-2011
One at a time, lol. YES we anxiously await you guys at the Dome. No doubt gonna be must-see TV for at least
two fan bases....

TWO, what across all TWO teams of his career?? 90-38. Not as good as Saban, but only time will tell.
He has Saban beat %-wise so far over Saban at LSU and certainly at Bama. Where can he go from here?

See?? again with the waiting. i can't believe I have ALL through SHOPPING season, Christmas, NEW YEARS
and being too fat from all of it before I even see a PROMO for this game. RE-tarded.
[Reply]
357 12:03 PM 12-06-2011
Wait, if you're counting Saban wins don't forget you have to vacate a few for NCAA violations...

[Reply]
Stephen 12:06 PM 12-06-2011
"Miles goes into the 2011 season with a record at LSU of 62-17, including a 33-15 mark in SEC regular season games.
Miles is the fastest coach in LSU history to reach milestone victories of 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 games. "

That quote alone precludes Saban from having been that record-holder, so even though I think it is currently
a small diffrential, I believe that Miles is better all around in LSU records and likely had a better record than Saban for
what, "first 4 years at the school" type records. Of course, Saban got to bama in somewhat of a disarray and
Saban left miles a full cupboard. That affected their first year's totals a good bit. But the statement Les can only
win with Saban's recruits has been roundly proven illegitimate as you can very well see. He is about to win his
second Nat. Champ. if you don't mind me saying so. But I have to state for the record in this thread what I have
ALWAYS said, I am not someone who blames Saban for leaving. his average "years at school" is a measly 2.5
over his career. There were some doofus fans that had to throw up a sign that denigrated him on his
return to BR some years back, but Miles is and has been a fan favorite that never gives us any reason to look
back at Saban and think, "if only we had nick saban..."
And yet there were many a public outry to can him after 2009. Go figure.:-)
[Reply]
OLS 12:11 PM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by longknocker:
We'll See How It Plays Out Jan.9th In The "Neutral" (What A Joke! :-)) Site Of New Orleans!:-)
Sorry, the Hoover-Met was plumb booked up that weekend. Tractor pull and all.
Haha, get over it, If I polled 100% of likely Bama bowl attendees, 95% of them would rather ride to
New Orleans to see the game than any venue in the state of Alabama...come on, it's NEW ORLEANS!
My God, can you IMAGINE what that joint is gonna be like. VERY neutral site. Sure, if we were playing
Wisconsin, it might be a little slanted towards Purple and gold in the seats, but you guys are gonna travel
well. I hope they restrict it to sides so there is a stark LINE of red and purple. ANd I hope even more
that they slant the split to give eatch team an entire endzone, or even half it perpendicular to the field.
[Reply]
rizzle 12:19 PM 12-06-2011
Wait, if you're counting Saban wins don't forget you have to vacate a few for NCAA violations...

Y'all be cheating smack. Love it. :-)
Originally Posted by Stephen:
And yet there were many a public outry to can him after 2009. Go figure.:-)
Hold on a cotton picking minute...that's just revisionist history. Go ask any level headed LSU fan. They all loved him from day one. Especially his time management skills :-)

You know, I laugh at him all the time, but he's obviously a good coach. The SEC is better for having him. Just another character to add to the mix. He's like the crazy uncle at Thanksgiving dinner.
[Reply]
357 01:44 PM 12-06-2011
More fun for you SEC fanboys...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...-in-on-the-fun

Originally Posted by :
No football conference has been more successful than the Southeastern Conference -- or as dirty.

While the SEC's run of five consecutive BCS titles and seven national championships in the past 13 seasons is unprecedented in college football, so is the number of major NCAA infractions the league has accumulated.

Since the league expanded to 12 schools for the 1992 season, the SEC's football programs have committed more major infractions than any other conference.

S-E-C! S-E-C!

As part of this five-part CBSSports.com series on cheating in college football, we look at which conferences and schools have cheated the most. Beginning in 1987 -- to coincide with SMU receiving the Death Penalty -- the SEC leads all conferences in major infractions with 13.

Since 1987, 10 of the SEC's 12 football programs have committed major infractions, according to the NCAA. The league's only football programs without a major infraction since 1987 are LSU (its last major infraction came in 1986) and Vanderbilt (which has never had a major infraction).

Alabama and Texas Tech, a former Southwest Conference school and current Big 12 member, have committed the most major infractions since 1987 with three each.

I guess they really do believe that if you're not cheating your not trying.

Should I bring up the academic standards (or lack thereof)?

[Reply]
Powers 01:55 PM 12-06-2011
You know, I laugh at him all the time, but he's obviously a good coach. The SEC is better for having him. Just another character to add to the mix. He's like the crazy uncle at Thanksgiving dinner.
My sentiments exactly. I admitted I initially thought he was a lucky SOB whose luck would eventually win out, which ironically is what a lot of people thought about Tebow in the NFL. Turns out we're both wrong. Miles, like Tebow, is a winner and no matter how sloppy sometimes.

While I now acknowledge him as an elite coach, I still like to sometimes laugh kindheartedly at his quirks and eccentricities. 'Course I think that's one of my favorite things about meeting and getting to know new people, quirky character traits are what make life fun :-)

(But I he's still the luckiest SOB on the planet for that faked field goal to beat UF in '10 @the Swamp were the holder tossed the ball NO LOOK behind his head to have it bounce PERFECTLY to the kicker in full stride. Trying do that successful again 1 time out of 100. Tiny rant over :-))
[Reply]
OLS 04:05 PM 12-06-2011

nah, we all make mistakes, lol. it would seem to me that it takes the same amount of coaching to win a
game you later vacate as it does to get a regular win.
[Reply]
OLS 04:09 PM 12-06-2011
More fun for you SEC fanboys...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...-in-on-the-fun

I guess they really do believe that if you're not cheating your not trying.

Should I bring up the academic standards (or lack thereof)?

OK, hold it now...I think you are in the wrong thread. If you want to bash the SEC,
I invite you to go and do it in the SEC thread. Thanks. No offense, just not here, please.
[Reply]
OLS 04:11 PM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by Powers:
(But I he's still the luckiest SOB on the planet for that faked field goal to beat UF in '10 @the Swamp were the holder tossed the ball NO LOOK behind his head to have it bounce PERFECTLY to the kicker in full stride. Trying do that successful again 1 time out of 100. Tiny rant over :-))
AH-hahahahahahah, you kill me, Michael. Tiny rant. Priceless. I thought I was seeing things.
That was actually the second time he tried that fake, the first time was FLAWLESS in every way.
Successful both times, btw.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 8
« First < 456 78 >
Up