Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 72 of 198
« First < 2262707172 737482122172 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>The Bourbon Thread!!
pektel 10:46 AM 10-27-2013
Originally Posted by kansashat:
Have recently been making Manhattans & Old Fashions with Bulliett rye whiskey & have been converting ppl in droves from the old Bourbon & Canadian whisky based cocktails to rye.

Rye almost went the way of the dinosaurs, after Prohibition, but seems to be making a comeback.

I hate Old Fashions, but like them with rye whisky.
Atta boy. :-)

I'm always glad to see others enjoying rye. I really like bulleit rye, and have recently begun my search for Thomas handy sazerac.
[Reply]
forgop 12:19 PM 11-06-2013
Score for the past week:

Four Roses 2013 LE Single Barrel
Four Roses 2013 LE Small Batch
Parker Heritage Collection 2013
[Reply]
big pete 03:28 PM 11-06-2013
Missed out on all the Buffalo Trace Antique releases :-)
[Reply]
pektel 06:04 PM 11-06-2013
^me too. But the closest retailer to me is a five hour drive. :-)

I did find some bottles of the regular Eagle Rare at my local yesterday. $32 spent still makes me happy, though some of the barrel proofs would've been nice.
[Reply]
forgop 01:08 AM 11-12-2013
Picked up the 2013 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon today. Read great things about it.
[Reply]
Frodo 01:59 AM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by forgop:
Picked up the 2013 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon today. Read great things about it.
I'd be curious about your reactions to it. John Hansel (ed Whisky Advocate) stated it was one of the more impressive bourbons he's tried this year...
[Reply]
forgop 07:58 AM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by Frodo:
I'd be curious about your reactions to it. John Hansel (ed Whisky Advocate) stated it was one of the more impressive bourbons he's tried this year...
I decided to crack it open when I got home from work this morning.

I've probably only sampled maybe 10 different bourbons and been stockpiling bourbon for the day I do start to develop a much bigger taste for it.

If I have one word to describe it, it's wow. This is what I've been waiting for-great flavors without singing the hairs off on the outside of your throat.

I read a lot of reviews off sourmashmanifesto.com. Now, back to my bourbon. :-)
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 03:49 PM 11-12-2013
Been on a bit of an old Weller 107 kick lately. If you like Maker's, give it a whirl..
[Reply]
Frodo 10:20 AM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by forgop:
I decided to crack it open when I got home from work this morning.

I've probably only sampled maybe 10 different bourbons and been stockpiling bourbon for the day I do start to develop a much bigger taste for it.

If I have one word to describe it, it's wow. This is what I've been waiting for-great flavors without singing the hairs off on the outside of your throat.

I read a lot of reviews off sourmashmanifesto.com. Now, back to my bourbon. :-)
Thanks for that Duane! Think I might need to look around for some...
[Reply]
RevSmoke 09:31 PM 11-14-2013
Originally Posted by GreekGodX:
I picked up the Angels Envy and saw this bourbon too. Any good? It caught my eye but I've had bad experiences with beer companies making booze.
It was actually excellent. I wish I'd have bought more. I got it on trip to the southern part of the state - haven't seen it up here. It is definitely a "buy again" bourbon.
[Reply]
Heavy_d 08:19 PM 11-20-2013
Had a small sampler bottle of Knob Creek Smoked Maple today. Wow was it good. I was expecting a sickly sweet syrupy concoction, but what I got was a really good bourbon with a smooth light maple flavor and just a touch of smokiness to dial the maple sweetness back. Would love to get some more of this, but just wish it was priced a little better.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 09:18 PM 11-20-2013
Originally Posted by Heavy_d:
Had a small sampler bottle of Knob Creek Smoked Maple today. Wow was it good. I was expecting a sickly sweet syrupy concoction, but what I got was a really good bourbon with a smooth light maple flavor and just a touch of smokiness to dial the maple sweetness back. Would love to get some more of this, but just wish it was priced a little better.
I'll have to give that a try. The only "maple" whiskey I've tried is Crown Royal Maple and I didn't care for it at all. Thought it might be good poured over some pancakes, but not served in a glass.

I'm having some simple Evan Williams on the rocks tonight.
[Reply]
Heavy_d 09:35 PM 11-20-2013
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller:
I'll have to give that a try. The only "maple" whiskey I've tried is Crown Royal Maple and I didn't care for it at all. Thought it might be good poured over some pancakes, but not served in a glass.

I'm having some simple Evan Williams on the rocks tonight.
That's what I was afraid this was gonna be, but was pleasantly surprised. Was actually a decent maple flavored bourbon instead of the bourbon flavored maple syrup I was expecting. And glad you mentioned that about the Crown maple. I was planning on trying it in the near future, but I think I'll take a pass now.
[Reply]
bruceolee 08:09 AM 11-21-2013
Hey guys I just started really getting into Bourbons (and other American whiskeys) recently. It really started for me when during my visit to Colorado for my brothers wedding we toured the Stranahans (not bourbon) distillery and picked up a bottle there. I just fell in love with it and started me down this path. My go to's so far are 4 Roses Single barrel & Buffalo Trace but lately on every pay day I've been picking up a new bottle of Bourbon or whiskey just to try. I find that I really go for the higher proof bourbons just because they pack so much more flavor usually (not all the time though) but I'll try any of them really.

Currently trying Old Grand Dad 114 (for the price its a very nice budget bourbon but certainly there is better out there)

Last tried Bookers Single Barrel (Found it to be surprisingly drinkable neat considering it's proof and I really enjoyed this as well but not an every day bourbon considering the price)

Anyways, just wanted to make my presence known on this thread :-)
[Reply]
big pete 09:30 AM 11-21-2013
Just picked up a bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. Love the regular Woodford and wanted to see if the double oaked was worth the extra $20
[Reply]
Heavy_d 05:42 PM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by big pete:
Just picked up a bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. Love the regular Woodford and wanted to see if the double oaked was worth the extra $20
So, what's the verdict, is it worth the extra $$?
[Reply]
big pete 06:38 PM 11-21-2013
Just got home. Will open now and report back in 15min
[Reply]
hammondc 07:13 PM 11-21-2013
Bulleit n coke for me tonight.
[Reply]
MrClean 07:27 PM 11-21-2013
I think the Double Oaked is really good, but as good as the regular Woodford is, I'm not sure it's worth the extra $20, just my :-)
[Reply]
big pete 07:46 PM 11-21-2013
Final verdict: I don't think it's worth the extra $20. It's just a tad smoother but doesn't have the sweetness like the regular Woodford has. It does have a long finish with hints of vanilla. It really reminds me of some rums (Zacapa 23 and Diplomatico) but with less sweetness and vanilla.

*please note that I'm a bourbon newbie*

With that said, I would really like to track down a bottle of the Old Forester Birthday bourbon. If anyone can find me a bottle, I would like like to give you a E-hug
[Reply]
Page 72 of 198
« First < 2262707172 737482122172 > Last »
Up