Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 28 of 196
« First < 18262728 29303878128 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>The Bourbon Thread!!
Patrick B 09:55 PM 01-27-2010
After a few weeks of prodding the local pub has been getting in some better stuff for the few cigar smokers that come in. We went through several bottles of Woodfords and they are now getting in Blantons as well. Yum!
[Reply]
BengalMan 11:55 AM 01-28-2010
I still need to get up there with you all one night!
[Reply]
BengalMan 12:10 PM 01-28-2010
Originally Posted by Parshooter:
Arrgghh. Never use cold water/ice with fine bourbon. The molecules in colder water effect the bourbon in a negative way as compared to using room temp water. I read this on a bourbon bb, so I believe it to be true.
This is somewhat true, but not completely. I've worked events with Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, and Jeffersons Reserve and have tasted bourbons with various master distillers. When trying a bourbon out for the first time, it is recommended to first try it neat. After a few sips to get the initial flavors, it's recommended to add 1-2 ice cubes or a splash of spring water. The ice melting and or water into the bourbon actually opens up the bourbon to additional flavors. It is recommended to use spring water/ice cubes when adding to a bourbon. It's not really the cold/ice that has a negative effect, it's the impurities in the tap water that could alter the taste in a negative way, at least that's what I've been told.

In the end though, bourbon is just like cigars, drink what you want, how you want, just as long as you enjoy it. :-)
[Reply]
Mikey202 02:53 PM 01-28-2010
Originally Posted by BengalMan:
In the end though, bourbon is just like cigars, drink what you want, how you want, just as long as you enjoy it. :-)
Amen :-)
[Reply]
BengalMan 02:21 PM 01-29-2010
Here is a method that in my experience, has yielded the best results when drinking bourbon. Unfortunately, I don't have a way to make these. When I have had the chance to use the "ice rock" it has been remarkable.

http://bourbonbuzz.com/2010/01/29/bo...-big-ball-ice/
[Reply]
newcigarz 03:55 PM 02-02-2010
This looks like an amazing set. The price is scary though $350-$400

http://www.oldripvanwinkle.com/newbs...D?opendocument
[Reply]
kenstogie 12:19 PM 02-05-2010
I've recently gotten into the JD Single barrel but is it worth the price??? What are some alterantives that are a good value??
[Reply]
Bruins Fan 02:52 PM 02-06-2010
Having a shot of bulleit to warm up:-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 03:15 PM 02-07-2010
I just sampled a bottle of Elijah Craig 18 y/o I picked up on my recent trip to Louisville. Excellent stuff and I"m not a bourbon drinker (but have started training to be).
[Reply]
GreekGodX 04:20 PM 02-07-2010
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
I just sampled a bottle of Elijah Craig 18 y/o I picked up on my recent trip to Louisville. Excellent stuff and I"m not a bourbon drinker (but have started training to be).
You have started off with an excellent choice. Love Elijah Craig 18 y/o :-)

Can't wait to go down to KY to pickup some bourbon. Definitely getting some Jefferson's Reserve and possibly some Rip Van Winkle :-) Feb 27th cannot come soon enough!!!
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 05:15 PM 02-08-2010
I bought the bottle based off a recommendation from one of the people at the Ford truck plant I worked with the last few weeks. He didn't steer me wrong. While down there on another trip a couple months ago, I bought the small samplers for Woodford Reserve, Basil Hayden and Buffalo Trace. All were really good but I thoroughly enjoyed the Basil Hayden. Had a completely different taste to me that I found to my liking. Not sure why I didn't pick up a bottle of that, but will when I'm sure I'll be headed back. Heaven forbid I get some free time to try the bourbon sampling at the store (Liquor Barn). But then again, the OT helps pay for all these purchases. :-)
[Reply]
Mikey202 02:55 PM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by kenstogie:
I've recently gotten into the JD Single barrel but is it worth the price??? What are some alterantives that are a good value??
Evan Williams Single Barrel is good and easy on the wallet, too.
[Reply]
smokin5 07:14 PM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by Mikey202:
Second that one!:-)
[Reply]
Parshooter 10:15 PM 02-12-2010
I'm gonna say it again: for the money, try Bulleit.
[Reply]
Powers 04:31 AM 02-13-2010
Originally Posted by Mikey202:
+2 upon ya'lls recommendation I bought a bottle of EW Single Barrel and loved it :-). Good price as well
[Reply]
Resipsa 04:56 AM 02-13-2010
Originally Posted by BengalMan:
Here is a method that in my experience, has yielded the best results when drinking bourbon. Unfortunately, I don't have a way to make these. When I have had the chance to use the "ice rock" it has been remarkable.

http://bourbonbuzz.com/2010/01/29/bo...-big-ball-ice/
You'd love this then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYENk...eature=related

the balls are smaller, but better rounded than from the molds. A little pricey, but interesting. You can find the 2 inch diameter ice ball molds on line if you look, mostly from chef sites
[Reply]
kenstogie 12:59 PM 02-13-2010
Thanks for the recommendation. Got an old retired army buddy that whenever we get together we end up trying a different whiskey and bourben is his choice.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Razorhog 07:16 AM 02-17-2010
I thought I'd mention Evan Williams 1783, if someone hasn't already. It's 10 year bourbon and only $12 for a 750ml. Consistently gets great reviews. Excellent bourbon for the price. :-)
[Reply]
paris1129 08:08 AM 02-17-2010
I just received some whiskey stones for Valentine's Day from the Mrs. They keep your drink cold without dilution from ice cubes, and they supposedly do not alter the taste. Interesting concept.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/accessories/ba37/
[Reply]
SvilleKid 08:12 PM 02-17-2010
Originally Posted by paris1129:
I just received some whiskey stones for Valentine's Day from the Mrs. They keep your drink cold without dilution from ice cubes, and they supposedly do not alter the taste. Interesting concept.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/accessories/ba37/
Look interesting. My problem with them would stem from the fact that I like to eat the ice (bad dental habit). Hell, I'd probably try to munch down on one, and break half my teeth!!

Let us know about any taste effect, and how long they keep the drink cold! I like the part about no water to water down the bourbon, since I generally like mine "neat" anyway!
[Reply]
Page 28 of 196
« First < 18262728 29303878128 > Last »
Up