Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 22 of 196
« First < 12202122 23243272122 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>The Bourbon Thread!!
Mikey202 08:56 PM 07-09-2009
Knob Creek has ran out of bourbon. Next batch won't be released until November.:-)
[Reply]
BengalMan 07:29 AM 07-10-2009
As of right now, there is plenty Knob Creek all over, including KY. Near November we may see a decline, in the amount of stores that stock it, but I doubt until then. I could be wrong though.
[Reply]
Ken 02:52 PM 07-10-2009
Has anyone tried Jim Beam Black Cherry? I saw this is a store and giggled as I walked by until I realized it said Beam on the side of the box. Well, the store worker had an opened bottle so she poured my a drink and damn, it is pretty good. It makes the bourbon very smooth and the taste is actually nice. I thought it would nasty, but I was wrong.

Try it if you can and report back.
[Reply]
Mr.Maduro 06:13 PM 07-10-2009
Just poured my first glass of Wathen's Single Barrell. I only bought this because I never heard of it. Not bad based on the first few sips...not bad at all.

[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 09:18 PM 07-11-2009
Originally Posted by Mr.Maduro:
Just poured my first glass of Wathen's Single Barrell. I only bought this because I never heard of it. Not bad based on the first few sips...not bad at all.

Hmm never heard of that one. Where did you pick it up?
[Reply]
rack04 09:19 AM 07-12-2009
Went to the store yesterday to pick up a bottle of Buffalo Trace. Turns out they were on sale the previous week and sold out quickly. Picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig 12 instead. Pretty good stuff.
[Reply]
Jimbo14 04:51 PM 07-12-2009
I purchased my first bottle of Woodfords Reserve. I love it!
[Reply]
grawk 05:31 PM 07-12-2009
I'm a big fan of bourbon and rye. I recently had some sazerac 18 yr old rye that was amazing.

My current bottles are a 15 yr old Pappy Van Winkle bourbon and a Van Winkle Family Reserve rye.

Other favorites are the various foresters bourbons, tho I usually prefer the Old Foresters to the Woodfords, black maple hill, and I liked the willett velvet fist, but am not a fan of their normal expression.
[Reply]
Ken 09:14 AM 07-13-2009
Originally Posted by rack04:
Went to the store yesterday to pick up a bottle of Buffalo Trace. Turns out they were on sale the previous week and sold out quickly. Picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig 12 instead. Pretty good stuff.
I think you ended up with the better buy. Haven't had EC for a while, I guess I need to change that.
[Reply]
Tripp 06:41 PM 07-18-2009
I just picked up a bottle of Jack Daniel's Green Label(i know, not real bourbon!) for mixed drinks, and a bottle fo Elijah Craig after Ian reccomended it a couple months ago in the chat. Just finished off a couple of Jack Julip's!
[Reply]
rack04 07:52 PM 07-18-2009
Originally Posted by Ken:
I think you ended up with the better buy. Haven't had EC for a while, I guess I need to change that.
The Elijah Craig 12 has treated me very well. So far in my limited experience I still like the Eagle Rare 10 better.
[Reply]
grawk 08:43 AM 07-19-2009
Originally Posted by grawk:
Other favorites are the various foresters bourbons, tho I usually prefer the Old Foresters to the Woodfords, black maple hill, and I liked the willett velvet fist, but am not a fan of their normal expression.
Whoops. Willett Velvet Glove, haven't tried the iron fist yet, and combined them in my reply.
[Reply]
tyrion 02:36 PM 07-19-2009
Originally Posted by grawk:
I'm a big fan of bourbon and rye. I recently had some sazerac 18 yr old rye that was amazing.

My current bottles are a 15 yr old Pappy Van Winkle bourbon and a Van Winkle Family Reserve rye.

As with my good friend Dan, I am a bourbon and rye fan. I have my local liquor store looking for a bottle of that Sazerac 18 year old rye. That is some good stuff.

At the moment, I have on hand PVW 23, 20, 15, and 12. I also have some Rittenhouse Rye 23, George T Stagg, Wild Turkey American Spirit 15 and some Black Maple Hill 23. The Van Winkle 12 and the American Spirit, can be found in the $50 to $60 range and are both worth trying.
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 04:35 PM 07-20-2009
OK I lived in KY for a long time and went to UK. I have tried many bourbons but there are several on my list. Some are too expensive right now (Pappy) so I will not include them. But what should be my next bourbon to buy?

Blantons
Buffalo Trace
Jeffersons
Basil Hayden

Thanks in advance.

James
[Reply]
grawk 04:50 PM 07-20-2009
basil hayden is a beginner bourbon, very very mild
buffalo trace is hit or miss
blanton's isn't bad

haven't tried jefferson.

In the sub $30 range, I'd go with old foresters, or bump up a little for woodford if I wanted smoother.
[Reply]
cherrybomb 06:40 PM 07-20-2009
second on the jefferson's. Buffalo is great when you have the "hand Selected" bottles. I.E. retail stores traveling there and hand selecting these bourbon's :-)
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 10:34 PM 07-20-2009
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner:
OK I lived in KY for a long time and went to UK. I have tried many bourbons but there are several on my list. Some are too expensive right now (Pappy) so I will not include them. But what should be my next bourbon to buy?

Blantons
Buffalo Trace

Jeffersons
Basil Hayden

Thanks in advance.

James
:-) depends what you want to spend
[Reply]
Doctorossi 10:45 PM 07-20-2009
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner:
Blantons
Buffalo Trace
Jeffersons
Basil Hayden
From that group, I'd go with Buffalo Trace and then Blanton's (in that order), but I wouldn't buy anything from that group, anyway. :-)

Not to be obtuse... I'd be happy to offer some alternatives if I knew what you've had and what you've liked.

That said, one of the nice things about bourbon is that the flavor-profile is so dominated by wood that there's hardly any room to go wrong. There are certainly some less interesting bourbons out there, but you have to work pretty hard to find a bad one or one that's not really even worth giving a try.
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 10:47 PM 07-20-2009
Originally Posted by Doctorossi:
From that group, I'd go with Buffalo Trace and then Blanton's (in that order), but I wouldn't buy anything from that group, anyway. :-)

Not to be obtuse... I'd be happy to offer some alternatives if I knew what you've had and what you've liked.

That said, one of the nice things about bourbon is that the flavor-profile is so dominated by wood that there's hardly any room to go wrong. There are certainly some less interesting bourbons out there, but you have to work pretty hard to find a bad one or one that's not really even worth giving a try.
what would be your top five $50 and under?

----------------
Now playing: Iron Maiden - The Trooper
via FoxyTunes
[Reply]
Doctorossi 10:54 PM 07-20-2009
Originally Posted by Big Vito:
what would be your top five $50 and under?
Can I say "$50 worth of Booker's?" :-)

If we're talking strictly bourbon and strictly under $50...

Woodford Reserve
Wild Turkey 101
Old Forester Birthday
Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve
Elijah Craig 12
[Reply]
Page 22 of 196
« First < 12202122 23243272122 > Last »
Up