Page 8 of 53
« First < 678 91018 > Last »
General Discussion>The Official Asylum Reef Tank Thread
ucubed 06:22 PM 01-14-2009
[Reply]
ucubed 06:22 PM 01-14-2009
[Reply]
shilala 06:51 PM 01-14-2009
All this fish tank talk made me go get my diatom filter out of the shed.
I gotta polish that tank up a bit. :-)
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 07:00 PM 01-14-2009
Cool thread! I have a 120 gal. and a 10 gal. nano. Six or seven years old. My wife kept the nano at work at her previous job. I'll have to clean them enough to take pics.
[Reply]
darb85 07:33 PM 01-14-2009
Ugg, The place I orderd my tank from said that there was a price change and they arent honoring my order! bastards. Theyll sell me one for 220 now instead of the 176 I ordered mine for. that should be illegal! in fact think it might be but oh well. Dont buy from aloha aquariums!

Oh well, it may be good that it happened. Im starting to debate starting a 50 gallon tank with a remote sump:-) I dont know which way to go! only thing ive ever had a hand it was my dads old fish only tank. had a 15inch Lion fish in it. Was the coolest thing ever. sold that sucker for almost 2000 bucks to a private collector, apperently its rare that they are that big for very long. Went into a 2000 gallon tank, still there too.

anyways. Off to my search. IM still thinking nano though, but ill be using the mini skimmer i saw too. who knows, well see gah, so many options!

Im so screwed.
[Reply]
shilala 07:55 PM 01-14-2009
Originally Posted by darb85:
Ugg, The place I orderd my tank from said that there was a price change and they arent honoring my order! bastards. Theyll sell me one for 220 now instead of the 176 I ordered mine for. that should be illegal! in fact think it might be but oh well. Dont buy from aloha aquariums!

Oh well, it may be good that it happened. Im starting to debate starting a 50 gallon tank with a remote sump:-) I dont know which way to go! only thing ive ever had a hand it was my dads old fish only tank. had a 15inch Lion fish in it. Was the coolest thing ever. sold that sucker for almost 2000 bucks to a private collector, apperently its rare that they are that big for very long. Went into a 2000 gallon tank, still there too.

anyways. Off to my search. IM still thinking nano though, but ill be using the mini skimmer i saw too. who knows, well see gah, so many options!

Im so screwed.
Check Doctor's Foster and Smith.
They're a class outfit with top notch stuff at very fair prices. You won't take an Aloha-style screwing, either. :-)
[Reply]
md4958 07:59 PM 01-14-2009
Originally Posted by shilala:
an Aloha-style screwing, either. :-)
that CAN be fun, but it really depends on the size of her coconuts!!
[Reply]
shilala 08:16 PM 01-14-2009
Originally Posted by md4958:
that CAN be fun, but it really depends on the size of her coconuts!!
Good job pointing that out, my perverted little buddy. :-)
[Reply]
md4958 08:29 PM 01-14-2009
Good job pointing that out, my perverted little buddy. :-)
I figured since I have nothing of value to add to this discussion I would help in ANY way possible!!!
[Reply]
Blueface 06:08 AM 01-15-2009
Check Doctor's Foster and Smith.
They're a class outfit with top notch stuff at very fair prices. You won't take an Aloha-style screwing, either. :-)
That was my place to go to for years, even going back to when they were called Pet Warehouse.
Used them extensively until I eventually got my wholesale tax license for the business.
Their prices are quite close to that of wholesale, or at least as close as one can get. Much, much cheaper than local shops and very reputable.
Another very reputable mail order one that is out of PA is "That Fish Place".
Just as good. Also ordered quite a bit from them.
[Reply]
shilala 09:35 AM 01-15-2009
Originally Posted by Blueface:
That was my place to go to for years, even going back to when they were called Pet Warehouse.
Used them extensively until I eventually got my wholesale tax license for the business.
Their prices are quite close to that of wholesale, or at least as close as one can get. Much, much cheaper than local shops and very reputable.
Another very reputable mail order one that is out of PA is "That Fish Place".
Just as good. Also ordered quite a bit from them.
That's amazing. They're the only other ones I've ever used. :-)
I just ordered parts for my Diatom filter from them a few weeks ago cause they're the only ones that carry them.
The only thing I can say negative about That Fish Place/ That Pet Place is that I've called them for a couple things and talked to everyone in the store and no one knows anything about what they're selling.
One time I just gave up.
I've always wanted to visit their store but it's about 4 hours away. I'm not that excited about it. :-)
My all-time favorite store is Elmer's in Monroeville, PA. It's a smelly little store but at a time they had the best selection of fish anywhere. Good and healthy, too. They've slipped in recent years but sometimes they're good and sometimes not. I still stop every time I go by. :-)
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 09:48 AM 01-15-2009
In the San Jose area, this store is incredible. A little high priced but very good. Dr. Le is the best adviser I have ever found. He sets up and maintains commercial aquariums. Tiny little hole-in-the-wall store that is jamb packed with some of the most beautiful aquariums.
http://www.aquatic-gallery.com/
[Reply]
Blueface 11:41 AM 01-15-2009
That's amazing. They're the only other ones I've ever used. :-)
I just ordered parts for my Diatom filter from them a few weeks ago cause they're the only ones that carry them.
The only thing I can say negative about That Fish Place/ That Pet Place is that I've called them for a couple things and talked to everyone in the store and no one knows anything about what they're selling.
One time I just gave up.
I've always wanted to visit their store but it's about 4 hours away. I'm not that excited about it. :-)
My all-time favorite store is Elmer's in Monroeville, PA. It's a smelly little store but at a time they had the best selection of fish anywhere. Good and healthy, too. They've slipped in recent years but sometimes they're good and sometimes not. I still stop every time I go by. :-)
My brother in law actually went out there from NJ.
He liked driving to it.

Another one I just thought of that although I never bought as much from as the other two I mentioned, I did buy from them and they do have a massive, massive location about a half hour from me is BigAl's.
[Reply]
UPHOTO 12:47 PM 01-15-2009
Boy......

I stayed away from this thread as long as I could.

It breaks my heart that I don't have a tank anymore. I'll start one up again one day for sure but here are some pictures of the one I used to have about 4 years ago.

90 gallon corner unit

By far my favorite in the tank was this blue carpet and it's buddies
[Reply]
UPHOTO 12:47 PM 01-15-2009
Really miss it.....:-)

[Reply]
UPHOTO 12:49 PM 01-15-2009
Wish I had some close ups of the Ricordia in that first picture on the right side of the tank.

They were gorgeous!!!
[Reply]
shilala 02:17 PM 01-15-2009
Originally Posted by UPHOTO:
Wish I had some close ups of the Ricordia in that first picture on the right side of the tank.

They were gorgeous!!!
The very top tank pic is the best. It's like a snapshot of a real reef.
I'm excited about the coralline spreading over the rest of the new rock I have in my tank. It'll do so much for "the look".
It's kind of neat how age and patience play into reefkeeping maybe even moreso than cigarkeeping. :-)
I think cigars may be more work, though. :-)
[Reply]
darb85 02:36 PM 01-15-2009
LFS got me going here. 25lbs fuji, 29G BioCube enough sand for 3 inch base, 400GPH Power head with wave thingamabob rotator thingy. Some Cheato(free:-)) a small light to put above chamber for cheato. Stealth heater. I think thats it... Rock comes in tomarrow, I get first pick, but i have to cure in :-) Kinda nervous for this. and the smell:-).

Thanks for enspiring me to spend more money! :-):-)
[Reply]
shilala 03:56 PM 01-15-2009
Originally Posted by darb85:
LFS got me going here. 25lbs fuji, 29G BioCube enough sand for 3 inch base, 400GPH Power head with wave thingamabob rotator thingy. Some Cheato(free) a small light to put above chamber for cheato. Stealth heater. I think thats it... Rock comes in tomarrow, I get first pick, but i have to cure in Kinda nervous for this. and the smell

Thanks for enspiring me to spend more money! :-):-)
You got no animals, you can cure it right in the tank.
Everything saltwater smells. If it doesn't I'd be concerned. :-)
You learn to love it. :-)
[Reply]
Blueface 04:41 PM 01-15-2009
I shouldn't have asked.
I should have just gone ahead, dragged the 55 out of the garage, set it up in the office room in the house, bought all the crap I need on the business card so she won't see it and I would have had a reef running already as a second tank again, at WHOLESALE!!!
Instead, I ask if I could.
Am I a child?
Did I need to be excused in class to go to the bathroom?
Did I forget my hall pass or something?

Crap!!!
Man I fear that woman.:-)
[Reply]
Page 8 of 53
« First < 678 91018 > Last »
Up