Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 13 of 32
« First < 3111213 141523 > Last »
General Discussion>Gardeners in the Asylum
Shawn hines 12:32 PM 09-04-2012
Originally Posted by shilala:
I live in a concrete suburban development since I got married a couple years ago. I've lived on a farm or in the country pretty much all my life. Imagine not being able to grab the .35 every time something's eating the garden. It's hell, my man. Sheer hell.
LOL, I know brother. I have been stationed all over and and it is hell taking the country out of a boy sometimes...:-)
[Reply]
OLS 12:37 PM 09-04-2012
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever:
IMG]http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m626/Earl_McCoy/20120823_172849.jpg[/IMG]
That plot looks self-watering F.M.F., lol...provided it rains. Seems the slope runs right into your
proposed garden.
[Reply]
OLS 12:37 PM 09-04-2012
That plot looks self-watering Earl, lol...provided it rains. Seems the slope runs right into your
proposed garden.

[Reply]
jjirons69 03:28 PM 09-04-2012
Originally Posted by shilala:
The new critters here turned out to be deer, ravens, and vine borers. They whooped my corn, punkins, and zucchini. Next year I'll figure out how to fight them all Pre-emptively.
Good luck with this one. I've tried every remedy I could find on the Internet. No avail in several years. Plant early, early or late, late. If I can get a squash plant to make it to June, I've somewhat won.
[Reply]
hotreds 08:58 AM 09-21-2012
time to harvest.....

[Reply]
BC-Axeman 11:09 AM 09-21-2012
Originally Posted by hotreds:
time to harvest.....

Git t' work!
I'm picturing that field all plowed and some pheasants out there and a good retriever.
A rocking chair, Dobro guitar and a cigar come to mind, too.
[Reply]
Shawn hines 02:23 PM 09-21-2012
Can't really tell but is that Soybeans? How many acres is that?
[Reply]
OLS 02:28 PM 09-21-2012
Nothing but the finest mexican weed.....
[Reply]
Shawn hines 03:06 PM 09-21-2012
This is old pictures from this past summer, but I thought I would post it anyway. This is what I was raised on growing and working on as a kid... Some habits just don't die I guess?
[Reply]
SvilleKid 02:23 PM 09-23-2012
No pix (only fresh turned dirt), but planted a patch of purple top turnip greens (at request of my elderly mom), and added several rows of snow peas for myself. Going to hunt down some spinach seed tomorrow, and add a patch or that for myself (place where I grabbed turnip and snow pea seeds was out of spinach seed.)
[Reply]
hotreds 02:34 PM 09-23-2012
Originally Posted by Shawn hines:
Can't really tell but is that Soybeans? How many acres is that?
soy- about 5 in the picture, but about 15 or so are planted.
[Reply]
TheCigarNut 08:14 PM 09-23-2012
Just found out about this thread! Good to know I'm not the only one on here into plants. No where near the experience you all have tho. I just put some whale spinach, miners lettuce and Paris island lettuce seeds in the starter pots. I have my soil mix with amendments sitting in a home made compost bin right now, hopefully that will be done soon.

You all do the full organic thing, chemicals or a mix? This is my first venture into a full organic setup, hopefully the food tastes better because of it!
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 09:57 PM 09-23-2012
Miners lettuce is wild here. I grow organically but I add organic chemical fertilizer and I'm not above using snail bait. I use Azitrol as an insecticide, which is plant derivative but it's a refined chemical. The line to organic can be a little fuzzy. I use compost from horse, chicken, yard waste, worms, and kitchen waste. The plants grow easier, faster and bigger with high potency chemical fertilizer. They taste better because you pick them at the right time and eat them fresh.
[Reply]
jjirons69 08:01 AM 09-24-2012
My peppers are still crushing it! I've given away a ton of them this year. My collards are starting to take root and grow...yum. Also, this weekend we dug peanuts at my dads. We spent most of yesterday washing and boiling in two huge pots. I ended up with 37 FULL quart bags of boiled Valencia peanuts in the freezer. This should get us through the winter. (My fingernails are ruined, BTW)
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 11:43 AM 09-24-2012
I just started harvesting these.
When peppers get to a certain point it gets hard to compare them. These are very hard to eat raw. Supposed to be hotter than habaneros. It's very hard to eat habaneros raw too. They taste sweet before the pain hits.
[Reply]
SvilleKid 07:21 PM 09-24-2012
I have never had luck growing onions in the spring and summer. I try it almost every year. I stopped by the county co-op this afternoon looking for spinach seeds. No spinach seeds (they don't carry it in seeds, only plants?????). They did have starter onion bulbs for $1.50 for a pound bag. What the heck, may as well try onions in the fall. Maybe I'll have better luck in the Fall! If not, I've lost a whole buck-fifty!
[Reply]
jjirons69 09:28 AM 09-25-2012
Arrggg!

[Reply]
Shawn hines 04:06 PM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by hotreds:
soy- about 5 in the picture, but about 15 or so are planted.
Looks like a pretty good crop, How many bushels per acre did you pull?
[Reply]
hotreds 04:55 PM 09-25-2012
The beans are harvested....

[Reply]
TheCigarNut 09:50 AM 09-26-2012
nice! Looking very good! Hope it was an excellent crop for you!
[Reply]
Page 13 of 32
« First < 3111213 141523 > Last »
Up