Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Vintage Cigar Cutters
SNKBYT 02:17 AM 09-30-2009
this is a small collection of German made vintage cigar cutters that I acquired after seeing "swordfish" again..........thought you might to add yours to the thread

[Reply]
GreekGodX 03:13 AM 09-30-2009
While not very convenient to carry around those look amazing! I'm going to have to look into starting my own collection.

This has me thinking maybe I should buy some Palios and Xikars to save so the next generation can see what we used to cut cigars. They will probably have something sweet like a lightsaber cutter or a laser :-)
[Reply]
stearns 05:14 AM 09-30-2009
i've seen some AMAZING cutters made out of horns and all sorts of things walking around small stores in london, sadly they were all upwards of $75, at a time when i couldnt be spending that much on a looker. nice cutters!

stearns
[Reply]
McSmokey 05:19 AM 09-30-2009
Very impressive Collection you have there:-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 05:30 AM 09-30-2009
Nice!!
[Reply]
TheTraveler 05:54 AM 09-30-2009
Hey, those are sweet! I keep looking in antique stores and flea markets but haven't seen anything like those locally. Gonna have to spread out and look other places I guess. Thanks for that pic.
[Reply]
pmwz 06:28 AM 09-30-2009
Originally Posted by TheTraveler:
Hey, those are sweet! I keep looking in antique stores and flea markets but haven't seen anything like those locally. Gonna have to spread out and look other places I guess. Thanks for that pic.
take a look at the german ebay pages. prices are pretty low and shipping cost should be reasonble.
up to which rg can u use them?
[Reply]
Mr.Maduro 06:33 AM 09-30-2009
I have only one. It looks almost like the one all the way on the bottom left of Alex's photo. I'll dig it out and post a photo when I get a chance. When I tried using it, the blade(s) were extremely dull. It pinched the head of the cigar. I always wondered what the estimated value would be....:-)
[Reply]
HK3- 07:35 AM 09-30-2009
Nice collection! I have an old cutter at home. I will post a picture this evening when I get home. :-)
[Reply]
SNKBYT 09:04 AM 09-30-2009
Originally Posted by pmwz:
take a look at the german ebay pages. prices are pretty low and shipping cost should be reasonble.
up to which rg can u use them?
About 42rg or smaller
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Texan in Mexico 09:22 AM 09-30-2009
That is very cool! Thank you for posting.
[Reply]
SNKBYT 09:49 AM 09-30-2009
Originally Posted by snkbyt:
About 42rg or smaller
Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry 46rg not 42...for the table cutters
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Labman 10:09 AM 09-30-2009
Very cool! I've seen them from time to time on eBay, but never pulled the trigger. Do you actually use any of them or are they show pieces only?
[Reply]
Old Sailor 10:10 AM 09-30-2009
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
T.G 10:11 AM 09-30-2009
snkbyt, very nice collection you have there bro.

Originally Posted by TheTraveler:
Most, if not all of the cutters pictured (hard to tell by the photo) are made by Donatus located in Solingen, Germany. Often times these cutters are mistakenly referred to as "Solingen" cutters due to the way the pivot arm that operates the cutter head is marked. If you're looking on ebay, I would recommend to run seperate searches for both "Donatus" and "Solingen".

Donatus has only been manufacturing them since the very late 1950's / early 60's, and they were heavily mass produced, so they shouldn't be too hard to find.
[Reply]
T.G 10:20 AM 09-30-2009
Originally Posted by Mr.Maduro:
I have only one. It looks almost like the one all the way on the bottom left of Alex's photo. I'll dig it out and post a photo when I get a chance. When I tried using it, the blade(s) were extremely dull. It pinched the head of the cigar. I always wondered what the estimated value would be....:-)
I have one exactly like the foruth one up on the left side, I'd estimate it's from the earlier years of production based on the fact it belonged to my late uncle who passed away over 15 years ago and he had been using it decades. It was given to me by his son when I visited him in Germany a few years ago. It has no financial value, maybe 25 bucks, if that, just sentimental value.

Oh, and yea, like yours, it's too is not really a great cutter, but it's an awesome cigar box opener! :-)
[Reply]
SUOrangeGuy 02:21 PM 09-30-2009
I've seen a couple of those before :-) Glad you're enjoying them.
[Reply]
SNKBYT 03:11 PM 09-30-2009
Originally Posted by Labman:
Very cool! I've seen them from time to time on eBay, but never pulled the trigger. Do you actually use any of them or are they show pieces only?
1 of them is new (never used till now) and the others will be put in a display case
[Reply]
HK3- 08:42 AM 10-01-2009
Bump :-)

Hope to post a picture this evening.
[Reply]
kenstogie 09:23 AM 10-01-2009
Sweet, collection.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up