Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 91 of 138
« First < 4181899091 9293101 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
icehog3 07:03 PM 02-26-2012
I have heard of knowledgable collectors aging their cigars in the 50s, so I don't think that will harm them...though I don't plan on trying it, still seems too dry to me.

80+ will likely do serious wrapper damage to cigars in the long run, so much moisture in the cigar is bound to expand the filler.
[Reply]
T.G 07:04 PM 02-26-2012
Storing in high RH is also begging for mold problems.

Realistically speaking, anything over about 75 is going to be difficult to smoke. It's not going to burn well, it might not stay lit and it's going very likely taste quite bitter and sour.
[Reply]
icehog3 07:04 PM 02-26-2012
Originally Posted by T.G:
Storing in high RH is also begging for mold problems.
Absolutely.
[Reply]
Fredo456 04:17 PM 02-27-2012
About aging (cigars, of course):

What types of cigars will age well? (I'm not talking about the few months apperently required, in an ideal world, of any cigar, but of the long term aging, of at least a few years)?

I have read about some cigars losing all their flavour if they are aged too much, so what doesn't age well?

Finally, because a coolidor doesn't breathe, some say that it can't be used to age cigars. Any truth to that?

Thanks again for your wisdom gentlemen.
[Reply]
kydsid 07:03 AM 02-28-2012
What types of cigars will age well? (I'm not talking about the few months apperently required, in an ideal world, of any cigar, but of the long term aging, of at least a few years)?

As you are talking about years, decades and more most of the worldwide experience is in aging Cuban Cigars because Non-Cuban cigars haven't been around nearly as long and the production techniques are so different. NC's cure and age loose tobacco fro several years and then roll where as Cuban leaf is cured and rolled. Most Cubans age well, some would say even require aging. Although the changes in processing over the last 10 years in Cuban production have changed things considerably if you ask me. That said some NC's do age well. Many, myself included have had good luck with aging Padron's and Fuentes (Opus and Anejos specifically). As for Cubans many will let them age at least a year or two before even trying. In the end some like em fresh others like them aged. It really is personal prefference and it's fun to find out what you like, provided you can keep you hands off them. The easy way though is to pay for aged cigars. There are sources that you can buy from with 10 years or more already in aging.

I have read about some cigars losing all their flavour if they are aged too much, so what doesn't age well?

This is possible with any cigar really. And it is really dependent on the long term conditions. I have had the opportunity several times to smoke the same aged cigars and had bland and fantastic ones, even when the fantastic one was actually older. There are lots of variables and I personally don't subscribe to the theory that any one particular brand or vitola will not age well. And given that you could safely, IMO, say that a Cuban cigar will not loose anything with 5, maybe even 10 years of age it's going to be a while, maybe never that I ever find that out. :-)

Finally, because a coolidor doesn't breathe, some say that it can't be used to age cigars. Any truth to that?

Sounds like total bunk to me. Many of the vastly more experienced smokers than myself use vacumm sealing for long term aging. Even the English, the originators of the aging idea, used to seal individual boxes with wax paper for long term storage, read 20+ years. Now lack of air may slow the process down, but are you truly not going to open a cooler for 10+ years? More likely it will be opened every 6 months at the longest, and really should be to inspect your investment. That will provide an instant air exchange, removing the idea of no breathing.
[Reply]
Ogre 08:49 PM 02-28-2012
FFP from EricF, Thanks Brother.
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 08:51 PM 02-28-2012
Originally Posted by Ogre:
FFP from EricF, Thanks Brother.
Is that a question? :-) :-)
[Reply]
StormShadow 04:58 PM 02-29-2012
I am waiting on my humidor which is in the mail right now. Currently I am using a Tupperware container with a humicare crystals container. (cigars have only been in there since this past Sunday) I have noticed that some of the cigars became a little "squishy". Should I remove them from the container and put them in my herfador? I'm not sure what the humidity is in the container as my hygrometer is currently sitting in the boveda calibration bag. It just got here in the mail today.

Also I just got 2 boxes of cigars, would it be better if I removed them and put them in the tupperware container or just leave them in their box?

Thanks in advance for help
[Reply]
bobarian 05:02 PM 02-29-2012
Originally Posted by StormShadow:
I am waiting on my humidor which is in the mail right now. Currently I am using a Tupperware c
:-)
[Reply]
StormShadow 05:05 PM 02-29-2012
Originally Posted by bobarian:
I was on my iPod when i posted and accidentally hit the submit button. Message has been edited.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 05:07 PM 02-29-2012
I am waiting on my humidor which is in the mail right now. Currently I am using a Tupperware container with a humicare crystals container. (cigars have only been in there since this past Sunday) I have noticed that some of the cigars became a little "squishy". Should I remove them from the container and put them in my herfador? I'm not sure what the humidity is in the container as my hygrometer is currently sitting in the boveda calibration bag. It just got here in the mail today.

Also I just got 2 boxes of cigars, would it be better if I removed them and put them in the tupperware container or just leave them in their box?

Thanks in advance for help
Remove the Humicare and place all the cigars in the tupperware. You don't really need humidification in a tupperware container. As you have learned, it's too much. Leave them in there till you get your humidor seasoned and ready to go.

[Reply]
TJtorpedo 05:47 PM 03-01-2012
For cigars in sealed tubos, glass or otherwise, when in the humidor, is it best to leave them completely sealed, crack the caps a little, or leave the stopper out completely?

Also, do I understand correctly that if a cigar is sealed in a tube with no air exchange, it will just recycle it's own humidity? Will that last indefinitely?
[Reply]
Pseudosacred 05:51 PM 03-01-2012
Originally Posted by TJtorpedo:

Also, do I understand correctly that if a cigar is sealed in a tube with no air exchange, it will just recycle it's own humidity? Will that last indefinitely?
I know that is false. Even cigars in tubes need to be humidified or they risk getting dried out. I thought the same thing, but was instructued different by an employee at a B&M. As for the other part of your question, I'm uncertain which method works best for keeping a tubed cigar humid. I would think that it would be fine with the tube closed?
[Reply]
CigarNut 05:57 PM 03-01-2012
A cigar in a sealed tubo inside your humidor will be fine. Some people open the tubes and some don't. Just like some people leave the cello on and some don't. It all boils down to personal choice.

Try it one way and see if you like it...
[Reply]
StormShadow 11:47 AM 03-03-2012
Why is it that I have about 40-50 cigars in a tupperware container with no humidification device and the humidity level keeps getting to 78-80. Is this ok? I thought it was supposed to be between 62-70 from what I have read.
[Reply]
pnoon 11:51 AM 03-03-2012
Why is it that I have about 40-50 cigars in a tupperware container with no humidification device and the humidity level keeps getting to 78-80. Is this ok? I thought it was supposed to be between 62-70 from what I have read.
What is the ambient temperature in the area where you keep the tupperware? Also, what RH were the cigars at when you put them in there?
[Reply]
StormShadow 11:58 AM 03-03-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
What is the ambient temperature in the area where you keep the tupperware? Also, what RH were the cigars at when you put them in there?
The ambient temperature is anywhere between 68-72. As for the RH of the cigars when i put them in there, I'm not sure. I got them them from cbid and CI. I had 12 in the tupperware container first for about 2 days with a Humicare crystals jar but then I was told i should take it out so i did. then about 3 days after i put in 32 more cigars and ever since it starts out at 70 when i close the lid and climbs. Ive been opening the lid til it drops to about 68 then close it again.
[Reply]
SteelCityBoy 11:58 AM 03-03-2012
I would have to assume that you currently residing in a high humidity climate right now and that might be the cause of what you are seeing with your tupperware container. Not many storage devices are air-tight and if the outside humidity is high like that it can affect the RH where you are keeping your cigars.

This is the reason why so many people seek humidification control devices in high humidity climates so that they can keep their cigars at a more adaquate 60%-70% RH. Smoking preferances differ on RH from what I have read. Some people prefer it on the dryer side around 60% and others upwards of 70%. The problem is that when cigars are subjected to RH over 75% for a consistent amount of time they can tend to have burn issues (going out often) and not to mention the dreaded beetle problems when temperature and RH are at a prime condition for beetles to become active.

Personally, if I lived in a region that had constant high humidity I would either invest in a humidor with control devices or at least purchase a de-humidification device for the room where I was storing them.

However, if the humidity in your area is forcasted to drop soon then maybe you'll be just fine! :-) I have always thought of Texas to be a rather dry state but that might not be the case where you live. I used to live in Tampa, FL and that was a whole different ballgame where it was pretty much 80% RH all year!

Hope this helps....
[Reply]
bobarian 12:00 PM 03-03-2012
Also, its a good idea to check and calibrate your hygrometer by using the salt test or a Boveda test kit. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 12:02 PM 03-03-2012
The ambient temperature is anywhere between 68-72. As for the RH of the cigars when i put them in there, I'm not sure. I got them them from cbid and CI. I had 12 in the tupperware container first for about 2 days with a Humicare crystals jar but then I was told i should take it out so i did. then about 3 days after i put in 32 more cigars and ever since it starts out at 70 when i close the lid and climbs. Ive been opening the lid til it drops to about 68 then close it again.
D'OH!
I meant to ask what is the ambient RH?

CI (and most online vendors) tends to ship their cigars "wetter" than the desired 62-70 % RH. This might explain the higher RH in your tupperware.
[Reply]
Page 91 of 138
« First < 4181899091 9293101 > Last »
Up