Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 111 of 138
« First < 1161101109110111 112113121 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
BaitFish 06:38 PM 08-18-2013
Alright, I've got a question regarding Heartfelt beads.

I recently ordered a 100ct humi this past week and decided to order some Heartfelt beads to use instead of the Drymistats I've been using in my old 50ct.

I understand that having too much is not an issue and can be beneficial so I went with the extra large 65% tube (4oz). I have been reading up on how to properly charge the beads and understand that it's preferable to leave some dry to absorb excess moisture.

My question is this- would there be any benefit to fully charging the extra large tube (4oz) on the bottom of the humi and having a dry medium tube (1oz) on the top shelf to absorb excess moisture?

Am I over thinking this? Should I just charge the extra large as recommended and leave it be?

Sorry for the long post. I look forward to your responses. Thanks.
[Reply]
CamoFlogged 06:53 PM 08-18-2013
You are over thinking this. I have a few pounds of HF beads and HCM beads too. Just follow the directions and you will be fine. Make sure you season your humi properly and get a quality hygro, preferably a digital model as they seem to work better IMHO. Get one you can adjust, do a salt test on the hygro and you are good to go.
[Reply]
BaitFish 07:14 PM 08-18-2013
Thanks for the response. Lots of good advice.

This new humi will be seasoned for at least a week or until I'm satisfied it's ready. I'm in no hurry as my other humis are doing quite well on their own at the moment. I plan on consolidating into the 100ct, adding 5 or so sticks at a time. I have a digital hygrometer that is adjustable and has been calibrated using the Bovida calibration pack. I agree, digital is the way to go. It is much more accurate than the analog hygro that came with my 50ct.

I've gone from using foam to gel but this will be the first I have used the beads. From everything I have read, the beads are the way to go. I look forward to trying them.

Thanks again for the advice.
[Reply]
CamoFlogged 07:26 PM 08-18-2013
Both HF and HCM beads are great. Super easy with low maintenance. All my humi's and totes are rock solid on humidity.

Sounds like you are on a great path.
[Reply]
BaitFish 07:47 PM 08-18-2013
Originally Posted by CamoFlogged:
Sounds like you are on a great path.
Yeah, tell that to my credit cards, lol. Now if I could just stay away from the devil site....:-)

Thanks again.
[Reply]
CoffeeWaterBeer 11:31 AM 09-17-2013
How do you all clean the interior glass of a humidor? I would think windex on a paper towel should be fine but I'm afraid of residual scent affecting my precious goodies. Should I do a simple water vinegar solution and leave the lid open for a bit to let it air dry completely?
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:38 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by CoffeeWaterBeer:
How do you all clean the interior glass of a humidor? I would think windex on a paper towel should be fine but I'm afraid of residual scent affecting my precious goodies. Should I do a simple water vinegar solution and leave the lid open for a bit to let it air dry completely?
That is what I do.
[Reply]
CoffeeWaterBeer 12:58 PM 09-17-2013
Thanks Michael, I feel better hearing this and knowing I wont muck up my sticks.
[Reply]
stevef2005 06:03 PM 09-18-2013
A quick question. I have been trying to find out what best type of lighter is. Good ole butane torch lighter or my handy dandy zippo. I was told Zippo as the butane lighters will "torch" the foot of the cigar but been told the fuel for zippos can actually taint the flavor of the cigar. Any opinions or insights into this or is this like the celo argument, just a personnel preference.
[Reply]
pnoon 06:05 PM 09-18-2013
Originally Posted by stevef2005:
A quick question. I have been trying to find out what best type of lighter is. Good ole butane torch lighter or my handy dandy zippo. I was told Zippo as the butane lighters will "torch" the foot of the cigar but been told the fuel for zippos can actually taint the flavor of the cigar. Any opinions or insights into this or is this like the celo argument, just a personnel preference.
Just a personal preference.
[Reply]
Gabe215 06:52 PM 09-18-2013
Ronson Jet Lite, $4, sleek metal look, $4, last forever, if you loose it buy another, $4, available EVERYWHERE CVS wallmart ect, works just as good as a SJ Dupont lighter!
[Reply]
yourchoice 07:05 PM 09-18-2013
Originally Posted by stevef2005:
I often use a soft flame, but when I do, it's still butane. A cheap Bic lighter is a good example. I also have a Colibri soft flame I like a lot. Personally, I don't like a Zippo because of the odor/flavor it "adds".:-)
[Reply]
Blinky 05:51 PM 10-10-2013
ok guys, so I've been reading through this whole forum, I'm on page 80 but here's my question. I just got my new humidor in today (upgrading from a 50 ct to 100) Right now I have a shot glass of distilled in there with my humidification device. Has anyone tried the Humi-care Black ice? http://www.cigarsinternational.com/h...umidification/

I want to make sure it's going to put out and also absorb moisture.

I also got the hydro-set hygrometer, it's sitting in a broveda (SP?) calibration bag and the 60 cigars that came in today are sitting in their cello in a tupperware with a shot glass of distilled.
am I missing any steps? I don't have the space to freeze these but I may do it in my tenants freezer after I read the instruction thread a bit more carefully.
[Reply]
big_jaygee 06:00 PM 10-10-2013
Originally Posted by Blinky:
ok guys, so I've been reading through this whole forum, I'm on page 80 but here's my question. I just got my new humidor in today (upgrading from a 50 ct to 100) Right now I have a shot glass of distilled in there with my humidification device. Has anyone tried the Humi-care Black ice? http://www.cigarsinternational.com/h...umidification/

I want to make sure it's going to put out and also absorb moisture.

I also got the hydro-set hygrometer, it's sitting in a broveda (SP?) calibration bag and the 60 cigars that came in today are sitting in their cello in a tupperware with a shot glass of distilled.
am I missing any steps? I don't have the space to freeze these but I may do it in my tenants freezer after I read the instruction thread a bit more carefully.
as for humidification i am using this

hcm beads

havent had a problem with humidity since i put these in my wineador and i will never use anything else :-)

take the shot glass out of the tupperware of cigars, there is no way to regulate the humidity it is giving off leaving you with over moist/wet cigars. the cigars will be fine while you are seasoning your humidor, or you can hit the b&m up for a boveda pack while you are waiting.
[Reply]
Remo 07:32 PM 10-10-2013
Originally Posted by big_jaygee:
as for humidification i am using this

hcm beads

havent had a problem with humidity since i put these in my wineador and i will never use anything else :-)

take the shot glass out of the tupperware of cigars, there is no way to regulate the humidity it is giving off leaving you with over moist/wet cigars. the cigars will be fine while you are seasoning your humidor, or you can hit the b&m up for a boveda pack while you are waiting.
Do you need humidification in Houston? :-)
[Reply]
big_jaygee 07:38 PM 10-10-2013
Originally Posted by Remo:
I have to keep the humidity down at 65 where I like it and the beads keep it there
[Reply]
Remo 07:41 PM 10-10-2013
Originally Posted by big_jaygee:
I have to keep the humidity down at 65 where I like it and the beads keep it there
:-)
[Reply]
kydsid 05:27 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by Remo:
Houston, I dunno, down on the coast I don't. I can't remember the last time I looked at my beads.
[Reply]
Blinky 09:07 PM 10-13-2013
So Guys I just read all 111 pages and I want to say thank you for all the great info. I'm sure I'll be back to ask a question. Going to try to jump into a same trade this week.
[Reply]
pnoon 09:35 PM 10-13-2013
Originally Posted by Blinky:
So Guys I just read all 111 pages and I want to say thank you for all the great info. I'm sure I'll be back to ask a question. Going to try to jump into a same trade this week.
A lot of good info indeed.
Here's another tidbit. The number of posts per page is a user setting. I set mine to 50 per page so for me this thread is 45 pages.
[Reply]
Page 111 of 138
« First < 1161101109110111 112113121 > Last »
Up