« First < 2171111119120121 122123131171221 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
MarkinAZ 12:19 PM 06-26-2011
Originally Posted by yachties23:
Beans, 2 hours in
Looking good Chris:-)
[Reply]
GoatLocker 05:08 PM 06-26-2011
I put a picnic on the WSM this morning, added 3 racks of spare ribs a couple hours ago, and finally some ABTs. Should be interesting, since the only wood I had layin around was mesquite, which I've never tried with pork. Also, first smoke in the new WSM. Hopefully, a few hours from now, I will be stuffed and enjoying a good cigar. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 05:20 PM 06-26-2011
Originally Posted by GoatLocker:
I put a picnic on the WSM this morning, added 3 racks of spare ribs a couple hours ago, and finally some ABTs. Should be interesting, since the only wood I had layin around was mesquite, which I've never tried with pork. Also, first smoke in the new WSM. Hopefully, a few hours from now, I will be stuffed and enjoying a good cigar. :-)
If I didn't have tri-tip and ABTs on the smoker myself, I'd be on my way over.
:-)
[Reply]
688sonarmen 06:00 PM 06-26-2011
Good looking meat all around guys:-) But seriously looks like summer is in full swing:-)
[Reply]
yachties23 06:17 PM 06-26-2011
Originally Posted by MarkinCA:
Looking good Chris:-)
Thanks Mark, they came out awesome. First time I've ever made beans from scratch on the smoker.
[Reply]
BobbyRitz 09:04 PM 06-26-2011
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
Yes!!!:-)

Seriously though, it really is a combination of all of those things. I like a seriously dark bark on my pork so I add a pretty good coating of turbinado sugar after my dry rub is applied. The ingredients in your dry rub also make a big difference especially the amount of paprika and sugar.

The amount of smoke you allow the meat to get also makes a big difference. IMO one of the most common mistakes that less seasoned cooks make is to over smoke the meat. This will get the impression of having a really nice dark bark, but it is in fact the effects of creosote being deposited on the meat. When folks comment about something being too smokey this is what they are usually referring to.

Basically, to get a really nice bark you want to apply a quality rub, add a little turbinado sugar, smoke the meat at a low consistent temp, and if you foil, open the foil back up for 15-30 minutes at the end of the cook.

YMMV!!!!
I would agree, but should mention I normally only add a bit of white sugar to rubs that I make from scratch. From your pictures that I've seen, Peter, I see a full layer of foil. If you are using wood, I wonder how well it is penetrating the meat.

I have a full slate scheduled for the WSM tomorrow. Baby backs go on at 1PM. 14lb brisket and 10lb butt will go on at 9pm for an overnight cook. Pics to follow. Brisket and butt were rubbed and injected moments ago. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 10:26 PM 06-26-2011
Originally Posted by BobbyRitz:
I would agree, but should mention I normally only add a bit of white sugar to rubs that I make from scratch. From your pictures that I've seen, Peter, I see a full layer of foil. If you are using wood, I wonder how well it is penetrating the meat.

I have a full slate scheduled for the WSM tomorrow. Baby backs go on at 1PM. 14lb brisket and 10lb butt will go on at 9pm for an overnight cook. Pics to follow. Brisket and butt were rubbed and injected moments ago. :-)
I own/use a Traeger wood pellet smoker.
The foil you see is covering the drip pan.
[Reply]
GoatLocker 11:24 PM 06-26-2011
Hopefully, a few hours from now, I will be stuffed and enjoying a good cigar. :-)
Well, I'm stuffed and enjoying my second cigar, but Mrs goatlocker decided it was margarita night, so maybe pics tomorrow. LOL.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
357 01:57 PM 06-27-2011
:-) I love this thread
[Reply]
BobbyRitz 05:11 AM 06-29-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
I own/use a Traeger wood pellet smoker.
The foil you see is covering the drip pan.
I see. I'm not very familiar with the pellet smokers. Do you have the ability to add additional wood beyond the pellets for smoke?
[Reply]
pnoon 06:33 AM 06-29-2011
I see. I'm not very familiar with the pellet smokers. Do you have the ability to add additional wood beyond the pellets for smoke?
Unfortunately, no. There is no way to access the heat/flame directly to ignite the wood.
[Reply]
BobbyRitz 07:58 AM 06-29-2011
Not my best effort. The brisket and butt should have been on the WSM longer than 13 hours. But who wants to wake up in the middle of the night to start cooking while on vacation?

[Reply]
T.G 08:09 AM 06-29-2011
Those look real good Bob. :-)
[Reply]
GoatLocker 10:20 AM 06-29-2011
I've been eating pulled pork and ribs for 4 days in a row. Why is my belt getting smaller?
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 03:08 PM 06-29-2011
I've been eating pulled pork and ribs for 4 days in a row. Why is my belt getting smaller?
Hey, I want your receipes:-)

Not my best effort. The brisket and butt should have been on the WSM longer than 13 hours. But who wants to wake up in the middle of the night to start cooking while on vacation?

Nice looking meat Bobby:-)

[Reply]
forgop 04:02 PM 06-29-2011
My classmates have commented the last few times I've brought my baby backs to ribs for lunch during clinicals at how good they smell/look. I'm firing up the smoker next week and making pulled pork for them next week. :-)
[Reply]
OLS 08:17 AM 06-30-2011
Ahhh, the 4th approaches. This thread is likely to catch on fire here in a few hours.
This weekend is clean out the freezer weekend. I have a picnic and a three pack of
BBRs taking up a ton of space in there, not to mention about 48 chicken wings and a
few steaks. I need to clear out about half of it this weekend. Must remember photos.
:-)
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 08:19 AM 06-30-2011
Whats up with the donuts in the background of the first pic?
Distracted me for a minute, maybe I'm not man enough to focus on the meat.

Back to meat:
Looks delicious, I could eat some right now.
[Reply]
jledou 09:23 AM 06-30-2011
Originally Posted by OLS:
Ahhh, the 4th approaches. This thread is likely to catch on fire here in a few hours.

COSTCO trip planned after work. Thinking a butt(s) and/or brisket(s) at least. :-)
[Reply]
LooseCard 10:51 AM 06-30-2011
Originally Posted by jledou:
Originally Posted by OLS:
COSTCO trip planned after work. Thinking a butt(s) and/or brisket(s) at least. :-)
Same here, a cryo of BBRs and maybe a piece of brisket (or corned, or both...) on the shopping list for this weekend.

FYI TO ALL:
Ignore the joke-of-a-sale at Lowes.
HOME DEPOT: 40 pounds (2-20#/pack) of K-blue for $8!!
I need to get a few for camp....!
[Reply]
Page 121 of 270
« First < 2171111119120121 122123131171221 > Last »
Up