Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Coffee Discussion>Pour Over Coffee Brewing
Sweet_Leaf_PDX 04:56 PM 09-04-2014
Anyone use Pour Over Coffee systems to make coffee? I’m thinking about giving this a try. I’m normally a French press user at home, but have been reading up a Pour Over methods. The Chemex line looks cools but appears over priced for what it really is. The Hairo V60 appears to be a good option and the Clever Coffee Dripper also looks interesting (sort of a combo between pour over and immersion brewing).
[Reply]
markem 06:55 PM 09-04-2014
I was using the Hario V60 system, but a friend gave me an Aeropress and I have not looked back. The Aeropress technique is like a french press with a paper filter. Check out the youtube videos. I use the inverted technique, which gives me a less acidic (bright) flavor.
[Reply]
kydsid 08:30 PM 09-04-2014
It's how I make all my coffee. There are lots of cheap pour over setups you can piece together. Love my chemex, but if you want cheap go to goodwill or the like. I got a setup at one for the office for $2.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 08:46 PM 09-04-2014
I like my chemex. I just got an Abel Kone to eliminate the need to use a filter. Also love my aeropress, but like the ability to make a larger batch with my chemex.
[Reply]
Sweet_Leaf_PDX 04:57 PM 09-11-2014
Thanks for the info! I had not considered the Aeropress and that looks pretty cool.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 07:38 PM 09-11-2014
My "pour over coffee system" Jason has been the Melita One Cupper using a brown #2 filter. Been using this system since the Summer of 1984. Now...

I do know a good buddy on the forum here up in the Sacramento area that will swear by the Aeropress, and one of these days, I will have to put a crowbar in my wallet and purchase one to find out:-)
[Reply]
ApexAZ 10:06 AM 09-16-2014
I highly recommend the aeropress for single cups. It makes a very good cup. I primarily use mine while traveling, but sometimes if I'm feeling frisky I'll grind some beans at work and make a cup.

Something about the way it filters works very well. The cup is somewhere in between a French press and a drip. It's nothing like an espresso like they advertise though. It makes strong, full bodied coffee, but it's not the same as espresso. For $25 on amazon you can't go wrong :-) Just add hot water.
[Reply]
grateful1 10:52 AM 09-16-2014
I had two cups of 'poor' over from Starb's this summer....will never do it again!
Some awful coffee.

I do like the aeropress idea though!
[Reply]
ApexAZ 11:03 AM 09-16-2014
Originally Posted by grateful1:
I had two cups of 'poor' over from Starb's this summer....will never do it again!
Some awful coffee.

I do like the aeropress idea though!
Starbucks coffee is horrible all around to me. It tastes too burnt. Their refresher energy drinks are pretty good though.
[Reply]
Up