Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>Retailers that may no longer exist in 2009
landhoney 03:09 PM 01-23-2009
"Better to let things bottom out naturally before regrouping. "*****'s plan will make it worse," he says. "We got into this by borrowing and stimulating, now he wants to borrow and stimulate more."" - from linked article above

I think these last sentences of the article are true, and that scares me. I deleted the name to keep off politics(you know what I mean), but regardless of whose plan it is, not sure it's the best. Failure happens for a reason, Govt throwing people's money at a private sector problem :-)
[Reply]
Tombstone 06:00 PM 01-23-2009
Originally Posted by landhoney:
"Better to let things bottom out naturally before regrouping. "*****'s plan will make it worse," he says. "We got into this by borrowing and stimulating, now he wants to borrow and stimulate more."" - from linked article above

I think these last sentences of the article are true, and that scares me. I deleted the name to keep off politics(you know what I mean), but regardless of whose plan it is, not sure it's the best. Failure happens for a reason, Govt throwing people's money at a private sector problem :-)
I once had a dog and his name was B-I-N-G-O.
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 06:02 PM 01-23-2009
Originally Posted by Tombstone:
I once had a dog and his name was B-I-N-G-O.
what kind of dog was it?
[Reply]
omowasu 06:12 PM 01-23-2009
There is a lot working against retail - while the overall economy is #1, the ball actually started rolling when gasoline hit 4.00+ and diesel hit 5.00+/gal. That was a surprise for most and caused almost everyone to save in a panic.

Combine that with an ever-growing influence from major Web shops like Amazon (who dont have the brick-and-mortar costs and taxes), and retail is taking several punches. Amazon had their best Christmas ever - most other retailers hurt.

I always wondered where all of these strip malls and crazy retail overbuilding came from - it was a bubble that is bursting with housing. Hopefully there will be some sort of moderation soon or there will be a LOT of empty storefronts.

That said, I dont agree with most of that article. While I can see Sears Holdings hurting, some of the other retailers mentioned will be fine in the long run and many have positive cash flow. It was very speculative...
[Reply]
Ace$nyper 06:49 PM 01-23-2009
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
Eff the World?

Not a bad philosophy to take toward some of these corporations.
Not really cause when they drop we bail them out :-):-):-)

thinking about this makes me need a :-)
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 06:55 PM 01-23-2009
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
Eff the World?

Not a bad philosophy to take toward some of these corporations.
ding ding ding we have a winner
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up