Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Too damn cold to smoke outside, so...
GTS21 07:38 PM 12-24-2008
...time for a smoking shed!

I ordered an 8x12 vinyl sided shed, just like the one in the pic except for a single door rather than a double. I'm having electricity and cable run to it, and i'm planning some type of attic fan for the smoke.

I opted for the 6ft walls rather than the 7, as I was concerned about the height (sheds are a no-no in my neighborhood), but the gambrel roof should be high enough where the smoke isn't a problem.

Anyone had any suggestions on heating/cooling??
Attached:
[Reply]
TripleF 07:41 PM 12-24-2008
Nice idea bro.

You could always move to Florida, we had shorts and t-shirts on while we were smoking today!! :-)
[Reply]
dunng 07:45 PM 12-24-2008
It will be a tight fit for 4 guys... I'm looking at a small wood stove for mine and I just have a little bit of insulation to finish off. :-)
[Reply]
GTS21 07:45 PM 12-24-2008
Originally Posted by TripleF:
Nice idea bro.

You could always move to Florida, we had shorts and t-shirts on while we were smoking today!! :-)
Jealous as hell. Cold and rainy out right now, not fit for man or beast.
:-)
[Reply]
GTS21 07:47 PM 12-24-2008
Originally Posted by dunng:
It will be a tight fit for 4 guys... I'm looking at a small wood stove for mine and I just have a little bit of insulation to finish off. :-)
Agreed, i'm thinking 3 guys max. Really for myself and the occasional guest or two. :-)
[Reply]
GTS21 09:50 AM 01-01-2009
Had to level the ground to within 6 inches high to low for the shed. Installation is scheduled for January 16th

Attached:
[Reply]
MikeyC 09:54 AM 01-01-2009
Originally Posted by GTS21:
...time for a smoking shed!
I opted for the 6ft walls rather than the 7, as I was concerned about the height (sheds are a no-no in my neighborhood), but the gambrel roof should be high enough where the smoke isn't a problem.
It's not a shed it's a "guest house." :-) So, get on the horn and change your order to the 7 footer. :-)
[Reply]
dunng 11:02 AM 01-01-2009
Agreed, i'm thinking 3 guys max. Really for myself and the occasional guest or two. :-)
You will have smoke issues with more than one person... Might want to look at a bathroom type fan. Heat wise I had mentioned a small wood stove or an electric heater is another option. :-)

http://goodoutdoors.theshoppe.com/wi...ood_stove.html

[Reply]
mojo65 01:51 PM 01-01-2009
One option to consider is a radiant floor heat. there are Electric Mat systems that are efficient. They heat people not air. and you wont feel as cold with the smoke fan running.
[Reply]
Clampdown 01:55 PM 01-01-2009
I call top bunk, Redbaron can take the bottom bunk. :-)
[Reply]
King James 01:56 PM 01-01-2009
awesome Idea! got to have internet out there too! :-)
[Reply]
GTS21 01:58 PM 01-01-2009
Definately going to get some type of exhaust for the smoke, perhaps an attic fan with variable speed.

I'm thinking an infrared heater, Edenpure makes a nice model that heats up to 1000 sq feet.
[Reply]
AD720 02:04 PM 01-01-2009
Definately going to get some type of exhaust for the smoke, perhaps an attic fan with variable speed.

I'm thinking an infrared heater, Edenpure makes a nice model that heats up to 1000 sq feet.
Definitely interested in how that works out for you. I've been thinking about grabbing one of the little table top quartz ones to replace my tiny little electric fan heater in the man cave.
[Reply]
karmaz00 02:23 PM 01-01-2009
thats very cool
[Reply]
GTS21 10:47 AM 01-11-2009
Things are coming along nicely.....the electric and cable wires have been run into the house and connected to the fuse box/cable splitter.

Shed is being installed on the 16th. I decided to have the inside insulated as several people suggested, just a thin pressed board holding in the insulation, nothing fancy.

For ventilation, looks like i'm going with the NuTone bathroom fan, model QTREN110 (110 CFM), which is supposedly a super-quiet model (1.3 Sones), and a roof vent kit, model RVK 1A, also from NuTone.

Two 60 watt bulbs up in the rafters, hooked up to a switch next to the front door should do the trick for lighting.

Home Depot has a nice 1500W radiant electric heater with thermostat for $89. It covers 140 sq ft, so I'll probably get two of these. Probably overkill with my 96 sq ft, but I'm trying to factor in the air exchange with the ventilation.

Question whether I need some sort of ventilation for the air to come in so the exhuast fan works correctly, or whether there will be enough air leakage in the shed where this won't be a problem.
[Reply]
GTS21 10:48 AM 01-11-2009
Originally Posted by King James:
awesome Idea! got to have internet out there too! :-)
I'm hoping the wireless works out there, it's a good distance from the router :-)
[Reply]
G G 11:03 AM 01-11-2009
I think you will like it. Nice.
[Reply]
bobarian 11:04 AM 01-11-2009
Did the electrician wire a new breaker? If you are running a heater, lights, vent and TV you may have problem drawing from another circuit in the house. Otherwise looking good!
[Reply]
GTS21 11:05 AM 01-11-2009
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Did the electrician wire a new breaker? If you are running a heater, lights, vent and TV you may have problem drawing from another circuit in the house. Otherwise looking good!
I believe two new 20 amp breakers
[Reply]
GTS21 09:50 PM 01-16-2009
Shed is up and the wiring is in progress!

[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up