Island (The other ones) Reviews>5 on 5 review = 5 Vegas Gold Robusto
Bondo 287 05:38 PM 01-04-2013
5 Vegas Gold Robusto
5x50
Wrap: Connecticut Shade
Binder: Honduran
Filler: Nicaraguan and Honduran Cuban Seed
Body: Mild / mild-medium

For openers, we are probably all familiar with the classic 5 Vegas ( Cinco Vegas ) cigar. I took the pictures when I smoked one of these before Christmas, I did not like two of the pics, so I took no notes. But now I need this one to complete the “set of five” tribute. So I lit up another one today, just to get an accurate review and document as I smoked.

First Third - The cigar is light golden brown, quite firm, and heavy in my hand. Its wrap has a nice velvety smooth feel. Starts up with a peppery and spicy blast, however I know the cigar, it is known for this, and after a minute the cigar settles. I have a nice burn ring, and blue and white cloud.

As I complete the first third, the cigar has smooth mild character, but with creamy, nutty, and spiced notes. So although it is a mild bodied cigar, it is not light, as in, "airy". Instead it is a flavorful cigar, with big puffy clouds to report. In fact, it was very bright out today. The trail-offs of smoky highlights were catching the sunlight so I thought I'd just take one new shot from this session with my phone to try to illustrate.

Second Third- As usual with the 5 Vegas Gold, there isn’t much change to the flavor profile. As I smoke further into it, the cigar just seems to settle in nicely. And the nut and creaminess are providing a welcome smoke here. The spice is still a lighter note than the others; however it is clearly defined on the retrohale.

Once in a while I get a whiff that reminds me of a butter popcorn scent. Only twice so far, and both times it followed after a series of retrohales. It pops up and gets your attention then you focus on it so it's gone. So it is very " flighty."

Final Third- Well now I have pulled the label off ( otherwise referred to as 5 Vegas Medieval-sized chastity belt, ) and get down to the nitty-gritty. We still have a smooth creamy buttery nutty smoke here, but the pepper, that I used to have to retrohale to find since the second third, has now returned.

As I mentioned already, I know this cigar and I usually send a few purge puffs down the pipe on the final third somewhere. The 5V Gold seems to benefit from that. It could almost qualify as a medium in it's last third. I think it's from the collection from all the full volume draws and puffs that it provides. I think it likes to show off that it could be a "light medium" if it wanted to.

Notes:
1- Quality construction. Excellent burn performance
2- Consistent, smooth, creamy profile
3- Light or Light-Medium bodied smoke good for noobies

This was one of my first “uninfused” smokes when I started seriously getting into cigars almost a year ago. My humidor was at 72% RH . Storing the 5V Gold in high humidity will leave you with a sour cigar. I only started to enjoy these 5 Vegas Gold cigars later when I realized I was storing my cigars “ too wet” and lowered my RH to around 65%. So with these cigars, I have known others who have experienced that too.

RATING: 4 out of 5 ( 80% )
[Reply]
borndead1 09:48 PM 01-14-2013
I used to smoke more of these than any other mild cigar. Maybe it's my palate, but they just don't taste or perform like they used to.

I may snag some again and see if they're better. Thanks for the review.
[Reply]
Bondo 287 09:57 PM 01-14-2013
They respond nicely to aging. But they respond badly to higher humidity. I haven't noticed much change. But people's tastes change, that's for sure.

Thanks for the comment.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 04:25 PM 01-15-2013
Good review of one of my go-to inexpensive mild smokes. I agree about the humidity; these got much tastier to me when I took my humidors from 70 to 65.
[Reply]
Up