BlackIrish 05:32 PM 10-21-2008
The cigar: H. Upmann Vintage Cameroon Robusto

Nutritional information
vitola: 5x52
Wrapper: Cameroon
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Dominican/Nicaraguan/Peruvian
Humi time: 5 mos

Prelight: Very impressive, wrapped in its printed cedar sleeve (useful as a spill for those of you so inclined) with three gold and red bands. Sliding off the wrapper reveals a good looking Cameroon wrapper, medium to dark brown with some orange hues and some toothiness. Aroma of -- guess what? -- cedar! It has a solid feel and good prelight draw.

Construction/burn: Lit easily, burned straight, drew perfectly. Burned slowly a firm white ash flecked with gray, and it produced satisfying amounts of delicious cameroon smoke. Expect a good hour of smoking.

Flavor: Some cedar and spice at the start, settling into a medium-strength smooth, rich, mellow smoke by the middle 1/3. After the first third, that delicious cammie tang appeared and grew bolder through the last third. Medium in body, with a pleasant saltiness on the lips.

All in, this is clearly an above average cigar. A great choice for a reliable well built cameroon experience.
[Reply]
lightning9191 07:39 PM 10-21-2008
I've had two of these so far. The first one I really enjoyed, but the last one not as much. Maybe it was something I ate that day. I have another one waiting in the humi for me....we'll see.
[Reply]
Tex 10:19 PM 10-21-2008
Thanks for the informative review. I've been wondering about this one, but the local B&Ms don't stock them. Now it's off to the web to find some!
[Reply]
Scottw 10:24 PM 10-21-2008
I like the Cameroon Wrapper, had one on a Perdomo gifted to me by a neighbor. Nice review!
[Reply]
Swampper 10:32 PM 10-21-2008
I like the Corona, but can't find those now. Churchill was OK, but lost interest in it. Tried a Robusto the other night. Bad times.
It's a quality cigar, but was bitter and I will avoid those for a while. :-)
[Reply]
Boobar 04:51 PM 10-22-2008
Of all the cameroon cigars that I have smoked I probably like this one the best. I always try to keep a couple in the humidor.
[Reply]
Volt 05:12 PM 10-22-2008
This is the cigar that got me hooked. I still love them and when I need a "comfort" cigar it's my goto. Just a real good stick for a decent price.
[Reply]
Starscream 08:41 PM 10-22-2008
Smoked one of these (corona size) and thought it was an ok stick. Wouldn't buy another, but if offered I wouldn't turn it down.

Nice review.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 09:19 AM 10-23-2008
Nice review :-) I keep a few of these (Belicoso) on hand for my newb/non-smoking friends. I think their presentation is better than the actual smoke, though--as far as Cameroons go, I prefer the flavor & complexity of the Oliva G or, for just a buck or so more, the AF Hemingway Classic. Try those if you get a chance.

(hmmm, don't we have a trade in the works....?! :-))
[Reply]
BlackIrish 06:41 PM 10-23-2008
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
Nice review :-) I keep a few of these (Belicoso) on hand for my newb/non-smoking friends. I think their presentation is better than the actual smoke, though--as far as Cameroons go, I prefer the flavor & complexity of the Oliva G or, for just a buck or so more, the AF Hemingway Classic. Try those if you get a chance.

(hmmm, don't we have a trade in the works....?! :-))
Yes, trade is hurtling towards you as I type. Take cover.

BlackIrish
[Reply]
Up