Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 49 of 78
« First < 39474849 505159 > Last »
Sports>Official MMA Thread
NCRadioMan 10:21 AM 11-15-2009
Just like I thought. Another Vera let down. Vera could have won easily if he would have done anything, like more leg kicks. He just stood there and let Randy control the fight. Same with Kang. He had Bisping beat but didn't follow up.

Overall, typical UFC event. Just ok.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 11:53 PM 11-15-2009
Lesnar is not well and his career may be in jeopardy.

From Wrestling Observer

Brock Lesnar is in extremely bad shape and there are questions as to whether he will ever fight again.

Lesnar, 32, is in far worse shape than he has been letting on. He went to Canada last week to try to get some rest, collapsed, and was rushed to the hospital. He has mono and also something else that he doesn't want to get out, and all we now is that he does not have cancer and he does not have AIDS. It is, however, extremely serious and he will not be fighting again for a long, long time, if he is able to fight again.

Dana White is heading to Minnesota tonight and will be working to get Lesnar to the Mayo Clinic or equivalent medical facility for treatment.

Also, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira has a staph infection and his fight with Cain Velasquez at UFC 108 is off. Nogueira will need an IV to hopefully get the infection out. He is also in bad shape.

With Lesnar out indefinitely, Shane Carwin will be undergoing knee surgery, so he will not be available to face Velasquez at UFC 108.

Dana White comments:

UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar has already re-scheduled his bout with Shane Carwin twice. Now it appears to be off indefinitely.

At Saturday night's UFC 105 post-event press conference, UFC president Dana White said the mononucleosis that had been bothering Lesnar is still present, but the champ is now suffering a new set of illnesses, as well.

"I am worried about it," White said. "I can't really talk about it right now, but [Lesnar] is in rough shape. He's in really bad shape.

"I'm actually probably going to fly to go see him, and we're going to probably have to do some stuff to take care of this guy. He is not well, and he's not getting any better."

White said he wasn't sure how serious the new illnesses were and whether they could be career- or even life-threatening.

"I don't know," White told MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com). "I've got to get him to one of these really good hospitals with really good doctors to figure out what's wrong and how we get him better."

White said Lesnar collapsed while spending time on a retreat in Canada and was checked into a hospital.

"[Lesnar] is in bad shape, and the reality is they don't really know all that's wrong with him," White said. "He owns a bunch of property in Canada. He went up to Canada just to get away from his house, to go up there and just kind of chill out up there.

"He [expletive] dropped. He went down, and he had to go to the hospital. They ran every test on the planet on him, and they ended up finding out something else was wrong with him."

White said he's not yet sure what the UFC will do regarding the heavyweight division with its champion on the shelf for an indeterminable amount of time.

"If it's a long wait, we're gong to have to do something," White said. "We're going to have to – the last thing I ever want to do is strip a guy who won a title. That's the last thing I want to do. I don't know if we'll have to do an interim or what we'll do to fix it."

White said there's still more questions than answers surrounding his heavyweight champion, but one thing was certain: Lesnar will be on the shelf for the foreseeable future.

"He is not good," White said. "He is very, very sick, and he's going to be out for a while.

"He doesn't want to talk about it publicly, but he's in bad shape. He's not well. He's not going to be getting well anytime soon."

Damn! :-)
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 03:26 PM 11-16-2009
Lesnar needs surgery, UFC boss says.

Ailing cage fighter Brock Lesnar has developed a serious intestinal disorder that requires surgery, Ultimate Fighting Championship boss Dana White told TMZ.com Monday.

Lesnar, a 265 lb. former wrestler and football player, collapsed and was reportedly hospitalized last week during a vacation in Canada. On Saturday, White told various sources that Lesnar was in dire condition.

"He's not well. He's not going to be getting well anytime soon," White told reporters after a UFC event in England. "He doesn't have cancer or AIDS or anything like this, (but) he's got some problems."

On Monday, White clarified his diagnosis somewhat. He also said that Lesnar is back in the U.S. and that he might be admitted to the Mayo Clinic for surgery. According to White, Lesnar, 32, might never fight again
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 02:41 PM 11-17-2009
UFC champ Brock Lesnar suffering bacterial infection of intestines.
by MMAjunkie.com

The mystery illness plaguing UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar now has a name.

UFC president Dana White today told the Associated Press that Lesnar is currently suffering from a bacterial infection in his intestinal track in addition to the mononucleosis that has recently plagued him

White shared with a small group of reporters at this past Saturday's post-UFC 105 press conference that Lesnar would be out indefinitely due to the issues.

"I'm actually probably going to fly to go see him, and we're going to probably have to do some stuff to take care of this guy," White said on Saturday. "He is not well, and he's not getting any better."

Despite the new diagnosis, White told the Associated Press he was still encouraging Lesnar to seek further treatment at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort title fight targeted for UFC 109

The highly anticipated UFC middleweight title fight between current champ Anderson Silva and explosive challenger Vitor Belfort is now targeted for UFC 109.

The UFC had originally hoped to feature the contest at UFC 108, but Silva's recovery process from elbow surgery forced a delay in the schedule.

Belfort first released news of the new date to the Portugese-language Terra magazine's "Mano a Mano" blog, and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has since confirmed with sources close to the bout that verbal agreements are in place. Bout agreements have yet to be signed.

The bout is also contingent upon Silva's recovery process.

The bout between Belfort and Silva has been planned since "The Phenom's" triumphant return to the UFC with a TKO win over Rich Franklin in the catchweight main event of "UFC 103: Franklin vs. Belfort."

Silva's camp had initially expressed some resistance to taking a middleweight title fight with Belfort due to the challenger having yet to fight at 185 pounds in his return to the UFC. The champ has since agreed to put his belt on the line against Belfort whenever the fight does happen.

As for the elbow, Silva's manager, Ed Soares, told MMAjunkie.com in October that he doesn't believe there's a reason for any long-term concern.

"Anderson's recovery is going really, really well," Soares said. "He's coming back, and his recovery is doing really good. His physical therapy is going really well. He's getting better range of motion. He'll be back 100 percent for sure."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GSP To try for Canadian Olympic Team

Georges St. Pierre said he's going to try to wrestle for Canada in 2012. Competing for your country in the Olympics is an amazing feat, and a worthy goal for a competitor like St. Pierre. There is one problem, though. Canada is already pretty well stocked with wrestlers at 74 kg (163 lbs.), the weight GSP would likely compete at.
[Reply]
kayaker 05:34 PM 11-17-2009
Dana White: Brock Lesnar "had minor surgery and is feeling better"

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Nov 17, 2009 at 2:55 pm ET

While rumors seem to be more widespread than actual facts in the recent health struggles of UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar, UFC president Dana White today shared the latest via his official Twitter account.

"Leaving Bismarck, N.D. right now," White stated. "Brock had minor surgery and is feeling better."

On Monday, White told the Associated Press that Lesnar is currently suffering from a bacterial infection in his intestinal track in addition to the mononucleosis that has recently plagued the sidelined heavyweight champ.

While White didn't release details of the procedure, he did state that Lesnar could perhaps be facing further treatment.

"Not 100 percent sure he is out of the woods, but feeling better," White stated.

Lesnar's condition has already twice forced the delay of a planned bout with top challenger Shane Carwin. At this past weekend's UFC 105 post-event press conference, White said he wasn't sure when Lesnar could potentially return to action.

I don't know," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I've got to get him to one of these really good hospitals with really good doctors to figure out what's wrong and how we get him better."

The UFC's heavyweight title picture is also currently unclear, but White said he doesn't want to make a decision until he has more knowledge of Lesnar's ultimate return date.

"If it's a long wait, we're gong to have to do something," White said. "The last thing I ever want to do is strip a guy who won a title. That's the last thing I want to do. I don't know if we'll have to do an interim or what we'll do to fix it."
[Reply]
BengalMan 05:56 PM 11-17-2009
In my opinion, the UFC needs to do something to keep the HW division going. As unfortunate as it is for Carwin (him vs. Brock would be an amazing fight), they need to book Shane Carwin vs. Cain Velasquez for an interim HW Title. Their is no clear info on when Brock and Nog will return, if ever. In the meantime, you need to keep things alive in the division.
[Reply]
BengalMan 06:18 PM 11-17-2009
lol, looks like I was spot on in my above post.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...l-surgery.html

UFC's Brock Lesnar undergoes intestinal surgery
November 17, 2009 | 3:-)6 pm
Brock Lesnar, the heavyweight champion of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, underwent surgery Monday for a bacterial infection in his intestinal tract, and UFC President Dana White told The Times that doctors are "waiting to see if he needs more."

White declined to reveal why the surgery was required, describing it as a "minor" procedure, but a high-placed source close to the fighter confirmed the intestinal surgery.

Lesnar, who memorably won at UFC 100 in July via a second-round TKO of Frank Mir, originally pulled out of his scheduled Saturday night fight against Shane Carwin complaining of sickness. He then told White he'd be unable to fight in a rescheduled Jan. 2 card because he had contracted mononucleosis. White told Yahoo! Sports on Saturday that Lesnar was very sick and would be out for an extended period.

White told The Times on Tuesday that he will schedule an interim heavyweight title fight during Lesnar's absence and that he's "working on it right now."

-- Lance Pugmire
[Reply]
BengalMan 08:34 PM 11-17-2009
More breaking news:

Randy Couture vs. Mark Coleman verbally agree to fight at UFC 109
http://www.mmaforreal.com/2009/11/17...d-mark-coleman

Randy Couture and Mark Coleman have verbally agreed to a light heavyweight headlining bout at UFC 109 on Feb. 6 in Las Vegas, Sherdog.com has learned through sources close to the bout.
Photo: Sherdog
[Reply]
zitro_joe 10:23 AM 11-18-2009
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:

GSP To try for Canadian Olympic Team

Georges St. Pierre said he's going to try to wrestle for Canada in 2012. Competing for your country in the Olympics is an amazing feat, and a worthy goal for a competitor like St. Pierre. There is one problem, though. Canada is already pretty well stocked with wrestlers at 74 kg (163 lbs.), the weight GSP would likely compete at.
That is interesting, he was a vocal separatist a few years back
[Reply]
ActionAndy 10:46 AM 11-18-2009
There's a WEC event on tonight, looks like the main event could be pretty decent.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 06:19 PM 11-18-2009
Originally Posted by ActionAndy:
There's a WEC event on tonight, looks like the main event could be pretty decent.
Yep, not bad at all.

Mike Brown Vs. Jose Aldo
Manny Gamburyan Vs. Leonard Garcia
Rob McCullough Vs. Karen Darabedyan
Danny Castillo Vs. Shane Roller

May not be broadcast:
Kamal Shalorus Vs. Will Kerr
Diego Nunes Vs. LC Davis
Cub Swanson Vs. John Franchi
Antonio Banuelos Vs. Kenji Osawa
Ricardo Lamas Vs. James Krause
Seth Dikun Vs. Frank Gomez

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike Whitehead vs. 'King Mo' Lawal possible for Strikeforce: 'Evolution' on Dec. 19

Undefeated Sengoku star Muhammed Lawal (5-0) is in talks to make his Strikeforce debut in the heavyweight division opposite Mike Whitehead (24-6) at "Evolution" from the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., on Dec. 19.

While both fighters have verbally agreed to the contest, bout agreements have not yet been signed.

Prior to his 25-second demolition of MMA legend Mark Kerr at M-1 "Breakthrough" back on Aug. 28, "King Mo" had competed exclusively under the World Victory Road banner in Japan since his professional mixed martial arts debut just last year.

The decorated collegiate wrestling champion and Division I All-American from Oklahoma State University has shown tremendous promise, defeating several veterans of the sport and stopping most of them. He instantly made a name for himself in his debut against Travis Wiuff at Sengoku: "Fifth Battle" — Lawal needed little more than two minutes to score a convincing technical knockout win via strikes.

It may not be that easy against "Iron" Mike. In 30 professional bouts, only Tim Sylvia and Brandon Vera were able to finish the former Ultimate Fighter (TUF) contestant.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lyoto Machida to rematch Shogun Rua in Montreal on May 1, 2009

According to Dan Wetzel, UFC president Dana White has told him that current light heavyweight champ Lyoto “Dragon” Machida will rematch his last opponent, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua. The two men fought at UFC 104 in Los Angeles last month but the bout ended in controversy as the champ retained his title after being on the defense much of the five rounds/25 minutes. Soon afterward, White told the media Machida and Rua would likely rematch as soon as possible.

The promotion is now making good on that with the venue being Montreal and the date being May 1st. January 2010 was thrown around as potential, prospective date by fans and insiders alike but Machida required surgery on his injured soon after defeating Rua. Thus, the date being pushed further back.
[Reply]
zitro_joe 09:19 PM 11-18-2009
I had a feeling Aldo was going to do it tonight.
[Reply]
BengalMan 09:44 PM 11-18-2009
Yeah, that was fast, lol.
[Reply]
zitro_joe 11:08 PM 11-18-2009
I may just be making this up in my head, but it seemed like Brown inflicted NO damge, at all, to Aldo. I've had my eye on since his fist fight in the WEC. Just watching someone in that wt class with that much power is amazing.
[Reply]
ActionAndy 07:43 AM 11-19-2009
Sweet fights last night for the WEC. Can't say the same for the Ultimate Fighter bout but this has been a season of slouches. Can anyone actually see any of these guys being serious threats in that division? Maybe Nelson could get some victories but no one else has anymore than standard puncher's chance.
[Reply]
goalie204 04:17 PM 11-19-2009
karo parysian pulls out of ufc card - a day before the weigh ins? wtf, scrub.
http://mmajunkie.com/news/16919/dana...g-saturday.mma
[Reply]
ActionAndy 04:52 PM 11-19-2009
I'm definitely done pretending to care about Karo. I was never a huge fan but He was (somewhat) relevant. No more.
[Reply]
dannysguitar 04:59 PM 11-19-2009
Karo = junk
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 05:14 PM 11-19-2009
Originally Posted by goalie204:
karo parysian pulls out of ufc card - a day before the weigh ins? wtf, scrub.
http://mmajunkie.com/news/16919/dana...g-saturday.mma
I would bet that he knew he would not pass the piss test for banned substances........again. http://mmafrenzy.com/9675/karo-paris...to-no-contest/
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 10:41 AM 11-20-2009
Good news on Lesnar front: (I personally think it will take a little longer)

It has been revealed that UFC heavyweight champion, Brock Lesnar is on the mend following surgery to correct a condition in his intestines and that he will return to action inside the octagon within the next six months.

Rodrigo Medeiros, the Jiu-Jitsu coach of the star, told TMZ.com:

“I can just say that the heavyweights can stop laughing and get ready to start crying because the champion will be back soon.”

This will come as welcome news to the promotion who have an injury list as long as your arm as well as top talent like Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Dan Henderson walking away from them. Now one of their biggest draws is on the mend after it was first feared he would never fight again. Project reincarnation begins…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaTzp...layer_embedded

http://mmabay.co.uk/Story%2003499.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thiago vs. Volkmann replaces Hazelett vs. Parisyan

A welterweight bout between Paulo Thiago (11-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) and Jacob Volkmann (10-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) originally slated for Saturday's "UFC 106: Griffin vs. Ortiz II" un-aired preliminary card today was promoted to the pay-per-view main card.

The fight takes the spot vacated by Karo Parisyan vs. Dustin Hazelett, which was canceled today following Parisyan's decision to pull out of the fight for undisclosed reasons.

With the change, Spike TV's special one-hour preliminary-card broadcast remains intact with Marcus Davis vs. Ben Saunders and Kendall Grove vs. Jake Rosholt.

UFC 106 takes place Nov. 21 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The Spike TV broadcast begins at 9 p.m. ET (6 p.m. PT) and the pay-per-view airing at 10 p.m. ET.
[Reply]
Page 49 of 78
« First < 39474849 505159 > Last »
Up