Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Should I send it back?
Useless legs 11:10 AM 11-16-2016
Hey all,
I recently decided to replace my first humidor with a nicer looking and better sealing model in order to protect my investment in high-quality smokes. I decided to go with something with drawers instead of the top that opens up and when the product arrived today only the drawers were made of cedar, the interior looks like a mahogany that has been finished. Should I send this thing back and get a refund or do you all think it will work?
[Reply]
dijit 11:14 AM 11-16-2016
As long as the seal is good and the drawers are cedar lined I think you are good. Very few even high end humidors are made completely of cedar.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 11:35 AM 11-16-2016
Any pictures or a link to the box?
[Reply]
Useless legs 12:47 PM 11-16-2016
I have pictures but can't figure out how to resize them to upload them here
[Reply]
WhiteMamba 02:05 PM 11-16-2016
use photo bucket or another photo sharing platform
[Reply]
icehog3 02:12 PM 11-16-2016
Yup, I have no clue how to advise you without seeing pictures.
[Reply]
MarkinOR 03:15 PM 11-16-2016
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Yup, I have no clue how to advise you without seeing pictures.
Use your visualization skills Tom:-)
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 03:41 PM 11-16-2016
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Yup, I have no clue how to advise you without seeing pictures.
Interpretive dance would be best.
[Reply]
borndead1 03:49 PM 11-16-2016
Did you get it on eBay? I've seen a lot of garbage "humidors" being sold on eBay.
[Reply]
icehog3 04:53 PM 11-16-2016
Originally Posted by MarkinCA:
Use your visualization skills Tom:-)
I have those? :-)
[Reply]
T.G 05:40 PM 11-16-2016
Photos and any manufacturer info would be very helpful, but just fwiw, Spanish cedar, which is what is used for humidors, is actually in the mahogany family. Real cedar, like the use in closets for moths, or Lane Chests, or planked grilled salmon, is something you don't want your cigars in.

At one time mahogany was a common wood for humidors, spanish cedar gained popularity woth the makers due to its lower cost and better availability.
[Reply]
pnoon 05:43 PM 11-16-2016
Originally Posted by Useless legs:
Hey all,
I recently decided to replace my first humidor with a nicer looking and better sealing model in order to protect my investment in high-quality smokes. I decided to go with something with drawers instead of the top that opens up and when the product arrived today only the drawers were made of cedar, the interior looks like a mahogany that has been finished. Should I send this thing back and get a refund or do you all think it will work?
Lots of good questions in response to your post.

I have a few as well.
Where did you buy it? From a retailer or private party (ebay, craigslist, etc)?
Spanish cedar used in humidors is neither Spanish nor a cedar. It is more closely related to mahogany. The fact that the interior wood is "finished" raises concern for me but having more information and pictures would allow us to be of more help. I use Photobucket. Some use Flickr or other picture hosting sites to resize and link their pictures here.
[Reply]
The Poet 07:44 PM 11-16-2016
If you have some tracing paper, Zack, I can lend you my Crayolas.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:10 AM 11-17-2016
Is this humidor made from a respected company, known for humidors?
[Reply]
Useless legs 04:39 PM 11-18-2016
Image

Here's what it looks like, I bought it from a website that makes humidors, jewelry boxes and other things called American box.com
Attached: 015_zpsexkc4fbp (1).jpg (28.8 KB) 
[Reply]
icehog3 04:54 PM 11-18-2016
Looking at their site, I would say their stuff is crap. If they will take it back, I'd send it back and get one from a company that specializes in strictly humidors.
[Reply]
kelmac07 04:57 PM 11-18-2016
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Looking at their site, I would say their stuff is crap. If they will take it back, I'd send it back and get one from a company that specializes in strictly humidors.
Agree with Tom on this one. :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 04:59 PM 11-18-2016
Let me be the first to say I do enjoy American box. :-)

Seems to be the Caledonia HERE.

I think right off the bat I would get some food grade silicone and seal around the glass (inside the lid), boxes like that have been known to have issues with the seal around the glass, makes it hard to hold humidity. I'd also get a digital hygrometer for it and not rely on the build in analog.

Looks like a pretty typical humidor, except for the all the possible places is could leak, I'm guessing the draw seals are pretty tight? Or at least I'd expect them to tighten up once you season it.
[Reply]
icehog3 08:01 PM 11-18-2016
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
I think right off the bat I would get some food grade silicone and seal around the glass (inside the lid), boxes like that have been known to have issues with the seal around the glass, makes it hard to hold humidity. I'd also get a digital hygrometer for it and not rely on the build in analog.
Yeah, or send it back. :-) :-)
[Reply]
stevieray 12:53 PM 11-19-2016
Honestly, by looking at the photo, it would appear that a ziplock bag would be more air tight and hold humidity better than that humidor. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up