Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Lets talk Ozone Air Purifiers
dwoodward 10:50 PM 01-18-2011
I will definitely invest in one of these by winter next year.

I haven't had a cigar in months. I am starting to twitch.
[Reply]
JDTexan 02:38 PM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
I can attest to Dom's unit.
Thanks for all the info, I am going to place an order for a unit like Dom's!
[Reply]
poker 03:01 PM 01-19-2011
EDIT

http://www.amazon.com/Ozone-Generato...409712&sr=1-13

These are the ones Starwood hotels use. Hope that helps out.
I like that unit and might just get one. Funny though how at 9 lbs its dimensions are so small (0.00 L. 0.00 W. 0.00 H) :-)
[Reply]
staminator 10:12 AM 02-07-2011
I would be sure to leave a window open after running a unit. The jury is still out on whether ozone purifiers can be harmful. Depends on how much ozone the machine is generating.
[Reply]
jonumberone 10:09 AM 02-21-2011
Just to update

My wife was out of town for the weekend and for the first time I took to smoking in the living room instead of the basement.
I burned 4 cigars during a movie marathon Saturday night and a PC Sunday morning.
Finished it at about 8:45 am ran the machine for about 30 -40 min and when she got home at noon, she was none the wiser :-)
[Reply]
waffle 10:29 AM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
Just to update

My wife was out of town for the weekend and for the first time I took to smoking in the living room instead of the basement.
I burned 4 cigars during a movie marathon Saturday night and a PC Sunday morning.
Finished it at about 8:45 am ran the machine for about 30 -40 min and when she got home at noon, she was none the wiser :-)
... til she reads this post :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 11:48 AM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by staminator:
I would be sure to leave a window open after running a unit. The jury is still out on whether ozone purifiers can be harmful. Depends on how much ozone the machine is generating.
I think I already said this but the pure ozone these things generate isn't good for you at all. You really shouldn't be in a room while these are running. Also air out the room after it has ran for a good few hours. You'll probably realize this when you get a headache and start to feel dizzy.
[Reply]
jonumberone 12:12 PM 02-21-2011
I think I already said this but the pure ozone these things generate isn't good for you at all. You really shouldn't be in a room while these are running. Also air out the room after it has ran for a good few hours. You'll probably realize this when you get a headache and start to feel dizzy.
I have sat in my basement with my machine running for hours at a time and never had any ill effects.
I can get away with smoking a cigar with it off and then turning it on when I'm done, but if I'm having more than 1 or have a few buddies over and we are all smoking, I turn it on and let it run to appease the wife.
None, of my buddies ever complained either.

Also be wary of the power of suggestion.
If someone tells you such and such will give you a headache then it most likely will.
I have seen a bunch of blind tests, where people were told that their food contained MSG but didn't actually have any they all got headaches, while the people who actually had the MSG and were told otherwise, suffered no effects.
[Reply]
innova 01:22 PM 02-21-2011
When I'm done smoking, i set the exhaust to run for 60 mins, then let the Csonka run overnight. Been doing this for over a year and so far it's good enough for her. In the a.m. I usually run the exhaust for 10 mins and turn off the Csonka to clear it out.
[Reply]
Bill86 01:30 PM 02-21-2011
Youll be fine in a whole basement. You're right Dom I should have been more clear. What I meant was in a small room say 12x12 or under the smell can be quite potent. My experiences with these units only bothered me in small rooms specifically hotel rooms. Also it takes quite a while for the ozone smell to be in all parts of the room. A large room might take longer than you're smoking time in the room so you might not be bothered by it.
[Reply]
688sonarmen 01:32 PM 02-21-2011
Good information here, I was going to chalk up my loss for the man-cave in the garage but it looks like between some fans and an Ozone generator it may be possible. A good resource I have found is craigslist, lots of units up for sale in my area, maybe yours as well.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 07:01 PM 02-21-2011
Here's lots of info: http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html

I think the bottom line is that ozone is an effective deodorizer. But, the concentrations needed for real deodorization can have health consequences. So, its best to run it when you're not there.
[Reply]
hscmit 07:05 PM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
Just to update

brave man
pretty much a do or die experiment
[Reply]
irratebass 07:30 AM 11-13-2015
I'm bringing this one back from the dead. I did a search on air purifiers and this one seemed like the most traffic.

I was at the shop last night and was looking though the latest issue of Cigar Press, and came across an advertisement for Lightning Air

http://lightningair.com/

The price isn't too terrible, but still a little high. I went onto Google and typed in lightning air to see if any cigar groups have discussed it....the 1st thing that popped up was Amazon of course that showed this:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Pr...66DS7NVDW3DZ9G

For a much better price, I also seen the original LA with an initial $129 or something with an Amazon card and pay off the rest in 6 months or something.

357 you said you have this one.......is it still working for you?

Dom.....still using yours?

Anyway, I do not smoke in my house, only in my garage or deck. I was looking at this for the garage for the winter, so I could keep the garage door down without the wife *****ing about the smoke seeping into the house. I also have allergies, and this states it's ideal for people with allergies and what not.

Anyone have any experience with these? Is one better than the other?

Discuss
[Reply]
markem 09:55 AM 11-13-2015
Originally Posted by irratebass:
Anyone have any experience with these? Is one better than the other?

Discuss
Glad you brought it back, Mickey. We've used HEPA filters for years (about 25) because of allergies, but have been thinking more along the lines of one of these for the wet dog smells. Like you, I do not smoke in the house, but in the winter it is in the garage it the wind is up.

I have been talking to the owner of the doggie day care that we use and he has some very good ones that also seem to keep down dander and such, but the costs are quite high.

As a result, I am watching this thread again to see what people are using and their results. Plus, I have a room that I'd like to convert to a smoking room if I can get away with it (next to the guest room, so odor is a big deal).
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 10:20 AM 11-13-2015
Well, I just ordered one, thanks for the link Mickey. With Winter here and not only smoking in the apartment but having the fireplace going as well it can get a bit smokey even with the large sliding glass door open. This should be a good test of the unit's effectiveness, I did standard shipping so I'll be sure to post a review in a week or so when it arrives.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:38 AM 11-13-2015
I'd like to find a slim line fan unit for my dining room window. Imagine a row of 4" fans that fits perfect into a raised window. Anyone know of something like this to exhaust?

My current window exhaust has like 2- 8" fans and now smells like a homeless person from years of smoke and grease passing through it. I don't feel like cleaning is as it'll probably break and only cost $50 years ago....
[Reply]
irratebass 12:33 PM 11-13-2015
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
Well, I just ordered one, thanks for the link Mickey. With Winter here and not only smoking in the apartment but having the fireplace going as well it can get a bit smokey even with the large sliding glass door open. This should be a good test of the unit's effectiveness, I did standard shipping so I'll be sure to post a review in a week or so when it arrives.
Cool! Glad I could help....I am waiting on that review :-)
[Reply]
smokin5 11:33 AM 11-14-2015
I bought this in May & I'm very pleased with it:
Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0 Ultra Quiet HEPA Air Purifier (SPA-550A)
Not an ozone purifier, but uses both HEPA & charcoal filters.
Bit pricey, though - I paid $370 on Amazon.
Appeal to me was long-lasting filters (supposed to go 3 years
before they need replacing), and my disappoinment with other
purifiers I tried.

Pretty effective for getting rid of the smoke smell.
And would probably work well to rid allergens, too, for those
who mentioned such a problem.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 03:13 PM 11-14-2015
It seems this ships from the Apt next door (actually up the coast but they must have tossed it on the truck or had Fran deliver it on her way home) as it got here less than 24 hours after ordering it.

I have read up on it as well and as far as health concerns most of what I read said if you have it in a room with you to put it on the lowest setting, the irritation is on mucus membranes, you know you are creating something other than oxygen using it, so your nose, throat and lungs can get irritated from heavy amounts of the 03.

Considering the above information and the fact I have a giant Jew nose, I will most likely be running it on low overnight in the living room with my bedroom door closed then air out the room when I go to work in the morning.

To Dom's point I probably shouldn't have read all the online information and health warnings. :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up