Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Dry Ice?
bonjing 03:36 PM 08-25-2010
My search-fu is weak :-)

My cooler has been hanging around the 70*+ area the past few days. I was planning on using some dry ice to help cool it down, does anyone have any advice as to yea or nay on doing this?

Thank you all :-)
[Reply]
markem 03:43 PM 08-25-2010
Image Image Image

70* area is fine for cigars. High 70s isn't. Dry ice is expensive. If you really think that you must put ice into the cooler, remember that it becomes (non distilled) water after a while. At least two layers of zip-lock and I'd probably also wrap it in a towel to catch condensation. Do not put in direct contact with the sticks or their boxes.

:-)
[Reply]
Mugen910 03:51 PM 08-25-2010
also keep in mind that cooler air will reduce the humidity.
[Reply]
bonjing 03:51 PM 08-25-2010
It's been hovering around 75*. It hasn't cooled down here in a few days which is unusual at least at night. I do freeze all my sticks so I do have that little bit peace of mind.
[Reply]
T.G 04:06 PM 08-25-2010
Originally Posted by bonjing:
It's been hovering around 75*. It hasn't cooled down here in a few days which is unusual at least at night. I do freeze all my sticks so I do have that little bit peace of mind.
Then I wouldn't worry about it.
[Reply]
dwoodward 04:25 PM 08-25-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
Then I wouldn't worry about it.
Same... The only reason to worry about temps is the fact that high temps can cause cigar beetle issues. If you already froze them, then there shouldn't be any issues no matter what temp your cigars sit at for extended periods of time.
[Reply]
bobarian 04:29 PM 08-25-2010
Not necessary Greg.:-)

1) You've frozen everything :-)
2) Beetles require sustained temps above 72 to hatch. A few days above wont make any difference :-)
3) You've frozen everything :-)
[Reply]
bonjing 06:45 PM 08-25-2010
Thanks guys.
[Reply]
sjnovakovich 06:34 PM 08-26-2010
Originally Posted by markem:

70* area is fine for cigars. High 70s isn't. Dry ice is expensive. If you really think that you must put ice into the cooler, remember that it becomes (non distilled) water after a while. At least two layers of zip-lock and I'd probably also wrap it in a towel to catch condensation. Do not put in direct contact with the sticks or their boxes.

:-)
Dry ice produces CO2... no water involved. :-)
[Reply]
md4958 06:57 PM 08-26-2010
instead of dry ice, why not some ice packs from the freezer? you can rotate out one at a time wrapped in a paper towel to absorb any condensation. you only need to lower it a couple degrees.

Plus, Bob offers sage advice, if you have an issue with temperature, freeze everything.
[Reply]
Up