Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Need your help! Short political survey
ScottH 06:28 PM 10-26-2009
Hello Everyone!

I am a political science major at school in MN and if you wouldn't mind giving me a couple mins of your time I would really appreciate your input on a survey I created. I created this survey to help analyze underlying dimensions in peoples' attitudes toward gun control. I would be happy to post a followup regarding the survey responses for those interested. Thanks a lot for your help on this one!!!!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...iLnZHYFg_3d_3d

Have a great evening!

Scott
[Reply]
elderboy02 06:44 PM 10-26-2009
I am not in favor of gun control.

#13 on page 1 is a bad question. I can't answer it if I don't believe in gun control. I had to pick the first option.
[Reply]
markem 06:53 PM 10-26-2009
btw, any yes/no question that includes the phrase "or not" cannot be properly answered.

for example, "Do you believe in X, or not" is a nonsense yes/no question. If I say "yes" am I saying that I believe in X or that I do not believe in X. Both are valid interpretations of the answer for the question as asked.

poorly structured survey, IMO.
[Reply]
E.J. 06:56 PM 10-26-2009
Done....
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 06:56 PM 10-26-2009
All done! :-)
[Reply]
captain53 07:04 PM 10-26-2009
Done - no problems understanding and answering the questions. Hope you make an A+:-)
[Reply]
yourchoice 07:07 PM 10-26-2009
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
I am not in favor of gun control.

#13 on page 1 is a bad question. I can't answer it if I don't believe in gun control. I had to pick the first option.
Agreed on #13.
#2 on page 2 needs more options. Maybe monthly? Or change weekly to regularly. And it could fall under the 15-19 issue below. Another thing on this one is I question if "church" is generic enough. Maybe how often do you attend a place of worship. And it should be "how often" not how many times a year unless you change your answers.
#3, 11 and 12 on p2 - maybe add a Neutral
#7 - 10 on p2 are more of a test question than a survey question. Turns me off personally
#15-19 on p2 are pretty typical for a survey, but often there is an option "prefer not to say" or something of that nature.

:-)
Hope that helps.
[Reply]
yourchoice 07:10 PM 10-26-2009
Originally Posted by markem:
btw, any yes/no question that includes the phrase "or not" cannot be properly answered.

for example, "Do you believe in X, or not" is a nonsense yes/no question. If I say "yes" am I saying that I believe in X or that I do not believe in X. Both are valid interpretations of the answer for the question as asked.

Good catch, especially on 17-19 on p1. It gives the surveyor the opportunity to pick which answer fits their agenda. That would turn many a people off for sure.
[Reply]
RightAJ 07:20 PM 10-26-2009
I thought it was a good survey. Glad to help:-)

aj
[Reply]
smokeyandthebandit05 07:24 PM 10-26-2009
Done :-):-)
[Reply]
ade06 07:30 PM 10-26-2009
Done.
[Reply]
tobii3 07:37 PM 10-26-2009
Done...

But that whole church thing needs to be re-worded.

Not all of us attend churches.
[Reply]
G G 08:03 PM 10-26-2009
Done.:-)
[Reply]
acarr 09:02 PM 10-26-2009
Is this just soliciting help to create the survey or are you using these results?
[Reply]
gvarsity 09:41 PM 10-26-2009
Interesting survey. I was particularly happy to be able to help as I have a political science degree from the University of Minnesota.

I answered as best as I could but there were a number of questions I felt were to broad or without context that made it difficult to feel like I completely agreed with my answer but it was the best of the available options. Gun control is not a simple issue and it's hard to get at the core issues. I will very interested in your responses.
[Reply]
CBI_2 09:47 PM 10-26-2009
Nice attempt. Does need a little work on wording and choices in some areas, but pretty good job overall.
[Reply]
yourchoice 09:50 PM 10-26-2009
Originally Posted by acarr:
Is this just soliciting help to create the survey or are you using these results?
I think he was just asking for some help. I could be wrong though. :-)

I didn't even submit my survey...just thought he/you were just looking for feedback on the survey questions themselves. Shrug.
[Reply]
elderboy02 09:56 PM 10-26-2009
I am interested to hear the results once you have all the data compiled :-)
[Reply]
RevSmoke 09:58 PM 10-26-2009
Just so you know, I clicked "other" for race. There is only one race, the human race.

All questionaires that deliniate differences in race help to foster the so-called racist issues we have. As long as we continue to think in those terms, there will be racism.
[Reply]
Mr. Ed 10:32 PM 10-26-2009
Originally Posted by markem:

:-)

Removing "or not" from several questions would make it more clear.:-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up